What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What Causes the Water to Foam?  (Read 24134 times)

SpaNE

What Causes the Water to Foam?
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:30:44 am »
What causes the water to foam in the spa?  Is it simply rapid movement?  My water only foams if I use both pumps at the same time.  If I use pump 1 or 2 separately I never get foam.

I have noticed this since I filled up my new J-345 about 30 days ago.  My water is properly balanced for chlorine, alkalinity, PH and hardness.  I shock once a week with MPS.  I do not use any other chemicals or additives.

Ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

What Causes the Water to Foam?
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:30:44 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: What Causes the Water to Foam?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:39:29 am »
For the most part, foam comes from soap. This can be introduced into the water from bathing suits, hair products and cosemetics, poorly rinsed filters.

If you wore a suit in the hot tub,  you have foam.  

When the water is agetated  and mixed with air,   you get foam from the soap.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:41:06 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:07 am »
Keep whatever you wear in the spa away from detergents.  Keep as much goop off your skin as possible, too.  

To get rid of minor foam, simply scoop it out.  There are products out there that help reduce foaming-  use them sparingly.  Some people mix a small amount of de-foamer with water in one of those spritz bottles, and use that to control foam.

The ultimate solution is to change water, and keep the detergents out in the first place.
Brewman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:59 am »
When you say your water is balanced, what are the readings?

Foam can be caused by soft water.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:19:18 am »
I have a saying "foaming spa water is dirty water"

Phosphates will cause it.
High TDS will cause.
Oils will cause it.

Bottom line the water is nasty.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:23:09 am »
Run both pumps on high with the air (if you have that option) on. You will get the maximum amount of foam. Then turn your pumps off. If the foam dissipates pretty fast, I wouldn't worry. If you instead have a frothing bubble bath, you may want to do a water change.  You said this is your first fill in a new tub, Chas says most issues (in a new tub) will resolve with a dump and refill.  ;) I know it worked for me!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:51:26 am »
As mentioned, foaming can be caused by a number of things;

High pH
Lack of sanitizer
soft water
high TDS
improperly rinsed filters

But more often than not, it is soap residue from oils, lotions, shampoo, etc. that we naturaly bring into the spa. Often it is caused by people that put their swim suits through the wash. Laundry soap is very concentrated and will cause this problem. Just rinse your suits under water after use.

What hasn't been mentioned is shocking the water. If this isn't done properly every week and after heavy use, foaming can and will occur.

I respectfully and fully disagree with Gary that the water is nasty when it foams. It's generally not a scuzzy, dirty foam that appears but instead a soap like foam. The water can be balanced, clean and safe to use though less enjoyable due to the foam. Remember that a "foam away" product only eliminates the foam for a short time and doesn't prevent it from coming back. It's a Band-Aide solution and not a CURE by any means.

I too have a saying...  ;)

Sometimes it's less work and less expensive to just drain and refill as opposed to fighting the water...

Steve
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:56:15 am by Steve »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:58:56 am »
Small nit (or explaniation?)

Soft water causes foam, ?!?!?!?

It's my understanding that  Soft water doesnt' CAUSE foam, but folks with soft water will usually experince more foam.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:01:05 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:56:50 am »
Small nit (or explaniation?)

Soft water causes foam, ?!?!?!?

It's my understanding that  Soft water doesnt' CAUSE foam, but folks with soft water will usually experince more foam.

soft water allows water to trap more air when the air is on, causing(?) foam.  this is not foam from detergents, lotions, etc.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 12:14:39 pm »

soft water allows water to trap more air when the air is on, causing(?) foam.  this is not foam from detergents, lotions, etc.

If foamy the same as bubbley?     I see foam as a lather   bubbles are just air or gas in the water and dispate quicly. (unless there is  some other additive to the water that traps the air in a bubble, creating foam.)....
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaNE

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 12:29:41 pm »
When you say your water is balanced, what are the readings?

Foam can be caused by soft water.

Cl free = 3
Cl total = 1
Alk = 80
PH =7.6
Hard = 250

The water is VERY clean and nice.  The water DOES NOT foam when pump 1 or pump 2 is on separately - only when both pumps are on at the same time.  The foam dissipates within seconds of turning off the pumps.  The water is NOT NASTY.  The filters are clean.  The water did this from day 1.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 12:35:33 pm »

Cl free = 3
Cl total = 1
Alk = 80
PH =7.6
Hard = 250

The water is VERY clean and nice.  The water DOES NOT foam when pump 1 or pump 2 is on separately - only when both pumps are on at the same time.  The foam dissipates within seconds of turning off the pumps.  The water is NOT NASTY.  The filters are clean.  The water did this from day 1.

That's air bubbles then.   You should be fine.  (watch the time to clear and dispatate with these bubbles, as the longer it takes is a neat indication of the TDS in the water).

When we typically talk "foam" we're talking soapy, lather bubbles of foam.  (or at least, I am am)  ;)    As the other folks pointed out, your'e seeing air bubbles in the water.   :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:36:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 01:26:36 pm »
If you turn the air off, or the pumps, if the water clears within a few seconds it's not foam.  
Brewman

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 01:28:12 pm »
As mentioned, foaming can be caused by a number of things;

High pH
Lack of sanitizer
soft water
high TDS
improperly rinsed filters

But more often than not, it is soap residue from oils, lotions, shampoo, etc. that we naturaly bring into the spa. Often it is caused by people that put their swim suits through the wash. Laundry soap is very concentrated and will cause this problem. Just rinse your suits under water after use.

What hasn't been mentioned is shocking the water. If this isn't done properly every week and after heavy use, foaming can and will occur.

I respectfully and fully disagree with Gary that the water is nasty when it foams. It's generally not a scuzzy, dirty foam that appears but instead a soap like foam. The water can be balanced, clean and safe to use though less enjoyable due to the foam. Remember that a "foam away" product only eliminates the foam for a short time and doesn't prevent it from coming back. It's a Band-Aide solution and not a CURE by any means.

I too have a saying...  ;)

Sometimes it's less work and less expensive to just drain and refill as opposed to fighting the water...

Steve

Maybe nasty was over the top, but most of the time it is dirty water and when I say dirty water i.e. soap, oils, TDS...
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

cburk0677

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 04:09:38 pm »
I've only had my tub for a week and foam was caused by soap in a swim suit. I used defoamer that made the water cloudy. I then used clarifier and that helped a lot. After using the clarifier I had nasty foam which I just scooped out of the tub. Over the last day and half my water is back to almost 100% clarity.

In reading my hotspring manual last night it mentioned that ozone is the only way to oxidize foam or soap in the water. I tend to agree since the clarifier helped quite a bit but my water has steadily improved in clarity and I think a lot of this is due to the ozone running 24/7.
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 04:09:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42