What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranty may very well be worth it.  (Read 6334 times)

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
Warranty may very well be worth it.
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:16 pm »
Although Steve has pointed out that some where you are paying for it if they are throwing in an extended warranty BUT even if they don't it may be worth the while. I just had the service guy here late afternoon and turns out that PUMP 2 needs to be replaced as well as a flow switch. I can't tell you how much extended warranty would be for a Beachcomber 740 but the cost of just the pump alone I am told is approx. $800. + Tax + Instalation..... not to mention the flow switch which I would guess to be about $100 installed, that is just a guess from me, could be more could be less. If I did not ask for the warranty to be thrown in or negotiate the price of it at the least it would have cost me $1,000 or more on a hot tub that is not quite 3 yrs old. WHICH may be a problem for others as this service tech said this is the 3rd pump in 2 weeks he has had to replace. (under warranty)

Hot Tub Forum

Warranty may very well be worth it.
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:16 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Warranty may very well be worth it.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:16:43 am »
Although Steve has pointed out that some where you are paying for it if they are throwing in an extended warranty BUT even if they don't it may be worth the while. I just had the service guy here late afternoon and turns out that PUMP 2 needs to be replaced as well as a flow switch. I can't tell you how much extended warranty would be for a Beachcomber 740 but the cost of just the pump alone I am told is approx. $800. + Tax + Instalation..... not to mention the flow switch which I would guess to be about $100 installed, that is just a guess from me, could be more could be less. If I did not ask for the warranty to be thrown in or negotiate the price of it at the least it would have cost me $1,000 or more on a hot tub that is not quite 3 yrs old. WHICH may be a problem for others as this service tech said this is the 3rd pump in 2 weeks he has had to replace. (under warranty)

Most spas from the major manufacturers come with a five year warranty on plumbing and electronics.  Mechanical and electronic items always have the potential to break and water which is the great healer is also the great destroyer.  You will most likely need service during the life of your spa.  Buried in the price of the spa is the cost of such warranty.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:13:57 am »

I'm glad this repair was covered for you kluzo but I've never seen a pump cost $800. Maybe closer to $300.

Had you had gone without the requirement for a service call within the warranty period  (like many thousands of BC owners worldwide), how would your post be different? Like I said, it's a roll of the dice and in my expereince, if a major componant is going to fail, it usually is within the first 2 years and fully covered by the standard warranty.

The 5 yr premium warranty on all BC spas is $500 Can.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:37:28 am by Steve »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:17:30 am »
Obviously an extra cost warranty is well worth it once the value of the repairs exceed the cost of the warranty (including extra interest if it's being financed).
Other than that, it's throwing money right down the toilet.

When you buy an extended warranty, you're betting that your spa will break down.  When the dealer sells you one, they are betting it wont.
Wonder who knows more about the actual experience on these.  Us consumers or the factory?  

That's like saying the lottery ticket that won the 180 million dollar jackpot was worth it.

Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:35:39 am »
Oh so true Brewman!

Your analogy may not reflect the dollar amounts we're talking about here but I get your point. ;)

Steve

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 09:43:57 am »
Everyone is correct and Everyone is wrong.

It really is a catch 22. Do you or Don't you. You will only know if you end up having to use it. For me it was worth having it added in at no cost...... ya I know I paid for it anyways somewhere in the price but I feel all fuzzy and warm inside for having it show on my bill Premium Warranty $0.00  ;D

Well You guys can tell me if I got a good price or not.

10 G's for a Beachcomer 740 (July 2004... Del. Aug 2004)
Inludes Cover, EZ Lift, Turbo, Installation, Delivery, Taxes (15% in Ontario at the time), Premium Warranty. It came standard with the no maint. skirting where it was extra I believe at the time from everyone else. and that triple light what ever they call it.

I was warned to stay away from all the gagets & gizmos like stereo's, pop up speakers, TV/DVD, sperm skimmer etc, etc.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:12:32 am »
Everyone is correct and Everyone is wrong.

It really is a catch 22. Do you or Don't you. You will only know if you end up having to use it. For me it was worth having it added in at no cost...... ya I know I paid for it anyways somewhere in the price but I feel all fuzzy and warm inside for having it show on my bill Premium Warranty $0.00  ;D

Well You guys can tell me if I got a good price or not.

10 G's for a Beachcomer 740 (July 2004... Del. Aug 2004)
Inludes Cover, EZ Lift, Turbo, Installation, Delivery, Taxes (15% in Ontario at the time), Premium Warranty. It came standard with the no maint. skirting where it was extra I believe at the time from everyone else. and that triple light what ever they call it.

I was warned to stay away from all the gagets & gizmos like stereo's, pop up speakers, TV/DVD, sperm skimmer etc, etc.

10K for a Beachcomer, dude you got ripped. Sorry I just saw the Ontario part, you paid with that Monopoly money not real money. ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:23:52 am »
I do believe you Americans call it Funny Money!  :o

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:42:35 pm »
Hey don't laugh! Our currency is almost worth the same amount! :o

Yet, we're still able to recognize the dollar amounts of OUR money by color as well! We're just a little more creative...

Gary

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 01:08:06 pm »
I do believe you Americans call it Funny Money!  :o

You guys are the ones with Loonies and Toonies, so who has the funny money? Hey when ya'll get rid of the five dollar bill you can call it a Fooie. ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:11:44 pm by Gary »

Pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40:59 pm »
It will be interesting to see whats going to be on your $1& $2  coins that are supposed to go into circulation next year.    

Kluzo  10G is an ok price for the 740  

Gary

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:06:13 pm »
It will be interesting to see whats going to be on your $1& $2  coins that are supposed to go into circulation next year.    

Kluzo  10G is an ok price for the 740  

The two-dollar coin will have a picture of a person bent over and on the other side will a picture of a open hand from Uncle Sam.

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 03:21:50 pm »
interesting rendition for a US coin  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 03:39:07 pm »
 So you spend 10 grand (Canadian) and only get a 3 year warranty but wait,they threw in the extended warranty? Or if they dont throw in the warranty you pay for an extra 2 years?? and how much is the extended warranty for a Beachcomber??

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 06:36:32 pm »
Not trying to be funny here but ...

A 700 series tub is Beachcomber's high end tub. I know (or at least knew) there was a 300 and 500 series. Beachcomber's warranty is not 5 years on their higher end tubs?

I bought a secondary (actually a tertiary) line of Artesian and it has a 3 year warranty as do most secondary lines. The "premium" tubs all had 5 year warranties, is this something that's done in Canada? I never had a chance to discuss Beachcomber warranties when I shopped for tubs.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 06:36:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42