What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Change water if no issues?  (Read 5187 times)

txwillie

Change water if no issues?
« on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:58 pm »
The tub and the water are @ 4 months. Water is clear, no foam, etc. How long can you (should you) keep the water if you are not having any issues?

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

Change water if no issues?
« on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:58 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Change water if no issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:59:55 pm »
That's great Twix.  4 months is the max I go.  I start to see indications of TDS (opaicity when jets are on,  time to clear is longer, fizzy foam. and the water has  a hard harsh feel to it).

If you have no problems, I guess you could go indefinatley.

If this is your first change out, I'd recomend you do it.  You might not realize just what FRESH water is.  and how bad your water may be?????  ;)  -because it can be a gradual decline in water quality that you really don't notice, until you do a change out.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:27:07 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:22:40 pm »
Like drewstar said, once the TDS (total dissolved solids) get to around 2000ppm you will start to get turbidity in the water. If you are not having any problems with turbidity, Ph bounce, foam, sanitizer readings then there is no reason to change it.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:23:46 pm »
If you are not having any problems with turbidity, Ph bounce, foam, sanitizer readings then there is no reason to change it.
Actually, I DO have a reason to change it...new water feels SOOOOO good!  It's like being rewarded for working so hard to change the water, wipe down the spa, 303 the cover and pillows, roll up the hoses, etc., etc.  I try to time my water change around when I think friends will NOT show up so that I can enjoy the water sans frothy, ol' foamy bathing suits for as long as possible... :)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:34:34 pm »
Wwindsurfdog:

You touched on an issue I was wondering about.  
Do you 303 the spa pillows too?
I was worried about using the stuff near the water.

Thanks, Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

windsurfdog

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:40:53 pm »
Rich,

Absolutely.  I use it on all the knobs and the controller face as well.  Actually, I've noticed that it seems to be effective as a defoamer whenever I get a little overspray into the water.  Haven't found it to be a negative in any way re: water balance.   And don't forget to use it on the underside of the cover, too.8-)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:41:25 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:24:10 pm »
Rich,

And don't forget to use it on the underside of the cover, too.8-)

Glad this came up today.  I just got some 303 and was going to do the outside of the cover this weekend.  I would have never thought to use it on the underside.  That might really help prolong the life the cover since I do use dichlor.  I always leave the top off even when I do a maintenence dose, but I am still seeing some lightening of the color of the underside of the cover and the pillows.

Thanks!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:52 pm »
I'd refill. Why try to extend a fill during Sping/Summer? Wait till Winter to do that.
Fresh water feels sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
good. :)

Cheers,

Chad

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:37:37 am »
The tub and the water are @ 4 months. Water is clear, no foam, etc. How long can you (should you) keep the water if you are not having any issues?

txwillie

Being in Texas, you don't have the weather contraints we do, assuming your in Texas.  Do they ration water during the dry season or anything like that here. If I have 4 month old water in October, I may try to stretch it out as long as the weather remains decent so that I can make it through the winter months when I may not be able to use my hose.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 08:03:08 am »
I always leave the top off even when I do a maintenence dose, but I am still seeing some lightening of the color of the underside of the cover and the pillows.

Thanks!
You are welcome!

Just like you, I use dichlor and have ozone and I experience the same lightening of the underside of my cover as well but it shows no other signs of deteriation. 8-)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 11:50:54 am »
Once the TDS reaches 1500+, your sanitizer becomes less effective. Although the water may appear clear, it isn't always an indicator of good water. As I've said many times... battery acid is clear too! ;)

At 4 months, I'd guess your TDS is up there and increased amounts of balancing products would be required to effect the balance when being added. It's often throwing good money after bad. It's similar to not changing the oil in your car because the oil light hasn't come on yet and the engine isn't knocking...

As mentioned, I'd drain it and keep your scheduled refills at every 4 months. You'll have an appreciation of what new water is like!

Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 11:58:20 am »
OK guys believe this if you want..My friend has a tub that get very frequent use...he soaks at leat 2X a day. He told me last week that he has only changed the water 3 times in the past 5 years.  I know..hard to believe but he has no reason to lie to me. His wife says he often puts the hose in to top off the tub and forgets it, so it spills over.  I just can't imagine.  He also claims that his tub very rarely gets cloudy. I know that they don't wear suits, and shower before they go in (I asked his routine), but 5 years with only 3 changes???I am amazed! He thinks I am nuts for changing at 3-4 months...but I also love that clean water feeling....Like fresh bed sheets dried on the clothes line... ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »
His wife says he often puts the hose in to top off the tub and forgets it, so it spills over.  I just can't imagine.  He also claims that his tub very rarely gets cloudy. I know that they don't wear suits, and shower before they go in (I asked his routine), but 5 years with only 3 changes???I am amazed! He thinks I am nuts for changing at 3-4 months...but I also love that clean water feeling....Like fresh bed sheets dried on the clothes line... ;)

Sounds like he's always doing a partial change out. ;)

Heve you ever seen their water?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 02:19:41 pm »
I have only seen it once, Drew. It was when they got the tub and invited the neighborhood kids for a dip. As soon as my kids jumped in, it ended up being a giant bubble bath. We all laughed, but now I realize that it was because I have soft water and my laundry soap didn't wash out.  It was actually foaming over the top of the tub. :o

Support your dealer so they can support you!

shortspark

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 05:16:24 pm »
Seems to me changing out hot tub water is a lot like changing oil in your car.  Sure, you can do extended drains with oil and the car will still run but is the oil still able to do its job?  Is the abnormal wear on the pistons, etc. noticed now or will you notice it 20,000 miles from now?  

Hot tub water is the same way.  You might think everything is going along great and all the numbers are okay but the equipment might be taking a beating internally in a way you will see down the road.  No matter what the readings are, I think most people change to fresh water every quarter and certainly no more than every six months.  Just like most people change oil every few months or X number of miles no matter what.  I don't think you will do your car any harm changing oil more often than recommended (even if it is not necessary) and I don't think you can harm your tub by putting fresh water in on a regular basis.  That seems to make sense to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 05:16:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42