What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I think I was sold a used tub  (Read 3843 times)

tublessnomore

I think I was sold a used tub
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:20:15 am »
My tub was delivered yesterday and when the delivery people uncovered it, I was shocked. [smiley=shocked.gif]  They're were several scratches on the top as well as water, which I've seen cleaner bilge water, lying in the bottom.  I questioned the driver about the lack of wrappiing material because such a big deal was made at the dealer that I would be responsible for disposing of "all" wrapping materials.  One piece of cardboard was around the skirt and the plastic cover which had a band of tape around it.  He thought he had remembered taking this to a home show.

When the service tech came to put the ozone kit in, he took care of the scratches and when I questioned him on the origin of the tub he mumbled that he only fixed them and coulnd't even look me in the eye when he said that.

Further examining the tub, there were scratches in the footwell area as well as what seems like sand or dirt.  

I called Sundance and told them this story and they assured me that their tubs leave clean....with at most just needing to be wiped out upon arrival and dry.  My tub was made in march of '06 and as she put it "even if the tub left the factory with a small amout of water in it, it would surely have evaporated in a year.

Needless to say, I'm on fire right now and I will be waiting at the door of the dealer this morning.  

I threw this out here for a little feedback on how others may handle this situation.  I have my ideas but sometimes in the heat of the moment some things get over looked.

Thanks.

still for the most part tubless

Hot Tub Forum

I think I was sold a used tub
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:20:15 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: I think I was sold a used tub
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:53:05 am »
My Sundance spa came "factory" wrapped.  The spa delivered to you certainly seems like it had prior use.  Water, grit and sand in the footwell would be evidence enough, IMO.  To me, this would be unacceptable...unless you knowingly purchased a floor model and even if you had..they should have cleaned it up before delivery.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:54:55 am »
Yep, they sold you a demo or a floor model.  Make them loan you that one until your brand new one arrives.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

tublessnomore

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 10:01:43 am »
The thing that steams me the most is that there was a floor model which looks way better than the one that "was in the warehouse".  How would take a floor model when there was a "new" one sitting in the warehouse.

I'm on my way to the dealer in a few.....just gettiing all my ducks in a row.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 10:13:40 am »
Well, it sounds like they have shattered any trust you might have had.

If you want to keep that one, go for a hefty discount, not the normal couple of hundred for a floor model.

It was built in March of '06 and sitting in the warehouse?  If so I doubt it is not a demo.

No dealer sits on "new" inventory that long.

How did you pay for the spa.  If by credit card you have leverage.

One other thing...in the world of dealers we consider a spa used when it has been owned by a customer.  A demo is one that has never been sold but has been shown with water in it.  Floor model has not had water in in it.  At least that is how we classify them.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:17:09 am by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tublessnomore

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 10:19:14 am »
Unfortunately, I did not pay by credit card.  I'm debating whether to ask for a brand new tub or cash back as well as cleaning and polishing the one I have...in addition to a few other things.

Keep ya'll posted.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:15 am »
Get it straightened out ASAP so that you don't end up like this lady.

Click on the video and be sure to notice the inward sloping cabinets.  What a piece of junk spa!

http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/story/1211489/

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 11:47:11 am »
As a Sundance Dealer I'd like to appologize. I can assure you that ALL THE tubs we get from the Factory are clean and need nothing more than a wipe down. Something does seem a little fishy here. Did you talk to the Regional Manager for your area when you phoned sundance? I hope you get some sort or payback because that is obviously not a factory first, even where we pull tubs from our "WAREHOUSE" they haven't been used as a sandbox and are still factory wrapped.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 01:22:42 pm »
Tubless - Since they will be your dealer for a while, I would call them and tell them that you "assume that they are giving you a loaner until yours is ready"  and simply ask them how long it will be before your tub arrives.  This will give the dealer the CLEAR understanding that this is NOT what you agreed too and should give them an opportunity to "make it right".  At the VERY least, the dealer should say "yea, sorry about that.  Would a $500 discount convince you to keep it".  At which point, you should say, NO, but a $800 discount would (as long as it's not been abused while it was being demoed, that should be reasonable).  Don't back off that $800 discount mark.  It's not your fault they "tried to pull a fast one" and THEY should be MADE to pay ofr it (one way or another) IMHO.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

tublessnomore

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »
Back from the dealer and this is what I offered to them:

A brand new '07 or

Exchange mine with the model which is in their showroom (which I went over with a fine tooth comb...spotless) along with $$ money back or,

completely refurbish the one that is here now along with a substantal cash back.

The salesman was very apologetic and explained the he thought that the tub on the floor was the unit that was taken to shows not the one in the warehouse.  We'll see which offer they take....I'm thinking that I'll get the floor model...which is fine for what I paid plus the money I'm asking back.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 02:02:06 pm »
 Another thing to consider is they store there spas outside IE;rain snow elements so on and so on no matter how well its wrapped water can get in there and the cardboard inside turns to mush and collects in the water in the spa. This does not however explain the scratches??

All in all this does'nt fly with me and I would be really pissed if my guys ever delivered a spa like that.   We store ours outside but before they are delivered they are cleaned spotless and inspected for any damage!!

Something else thats a joke with that dealer is I have never heard of a company telling the customer you have to get rid of the wrapping for them when the spa is delivered? To me that is poor customer service!!   You should get the full meal deal from them, all this sound very strange coming from a Sundance dealer guess ya never know???

Just read your last post sounds like they are going to take care of you I still think they need to change a few things at the delivery end of the deal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:04:33 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Micah

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »

The salesman was very apologetic and explained the he thought that the tub on the floor was the unit that was taken to shows not the one in the warehouse.    

It seems like the salesman should know what spas go to the home show, and what spas stay on the floor.  Sorry but that is a line of B. S.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

tublessnomore

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 03:53:44 pm »
No doubt it's BS.....just goes to show that you always got to be on your toes.  Anyhow, heard back and I'm satisisfied with their offer.  

Thanks for all the input......hope to talk about the better side of spatopia soon :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 09:31:50 am »
Tubless,

Do yu think this was  an honest mistake by the dealer, and you got the wrong tub, or that they had tried to pass off a demo tub to you?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:09:34 am »
Tubless,

Do yu think this was  an honest mistake by the dealer, and you got the wrong tub, or that they had tried to pass off a demo tub to you?

I hope that was a mistake and not the dealer trying to pull a fast one because if so, that is one dumb dealer. If they wanted to try to pass it off as a new ’07 they could have cleaned it out and rewrapped it and the customer might have never known. By delivering it in the state it was it raised a MAJOR red flag. For that reason, I gotta believe there was some type of mix up because that wasn’t much of an attempt to pass it off as a new '07. I assume they'll make good and get you back to square one, at a minimum.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:09:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42