What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Buyer  (Read 3665 times)

First Time Buyer

First Time Buyer
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:33:06 pm »
I'm a first time buyer and I'm thinking of buying a second hand hot tub. The name is Hydro Spa and it's a Mark 111 Millenium . Does anyone know of this model and whether buying a second hand hot tub is a good idea. 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Buyer
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:33:06 pm »

eightisenough

Re: First Time Buyer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:39 pm »
Funny, someone today me ntioned Hydro Spa to me.  I looked and it seems they are marketed through Walmart and pool supply stores.  

I figured that if this is a once on a lifetime purchase, then that might not be the best way to go.  maybe I'm wrong.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:16:05 pm »
Hydro Spas are considered to be a lower end budget tub.  How old is the tub? How much are they asking for the tub?

Do you know why they are selling it? is it currently up and running?

What are your expectations for this tub?   :)

Here's the tub link:

http://www.hydrospa.com/spas/mark3_millennium.html

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:18:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

First Time Buyer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:37:17 pm »
Thanks for the imput.
This second hand tub has never been used and it's 2 years old. But it's never been winterized or covered properly during that time. They only want what they paid $1100.00 (so basically it's just the tub)but we're going to have to purchase a lot of additions to get it up and running. We also will have to pay to transport and install  We would like to be able to use it all year round . Any idea of how much that would set us back ? Maybe it would be better to buy new ?

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:47:34 pm »
No way its worth what they paid.  Maybe 1/2 that.  There is nothing wrong with buying used, but I'd honestly skip this one.

First Time Buyer

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 05:01:20 pm »
I think Brookenstein misread the amount of the second hand hot tub. It's $1,100.00

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 05:05:31 pm »
I think Brookenstein misread the amount of the second hand hot tub. It's $1,100.00

Unless you're a real do-it-yourselfer who is willing to take on a project and the risk of what you might run into I would say if you can't see it running, run away!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:30:27 pm »

No, I didn't miss that.  People want you to pay the same price for a tub that they paid 2 years ago, then didn't take care of for 2 years?  They didn't keep it covered, nor winterized properly, and they assume it kept its original value?  

You can find a great couple year old tub from a top manufacturer and pay $2-4k for it.  You can find a several year old tub from a great manufacturer and get ir anywhere from free to a few hundred dollars.  There are many options, keep them open, and do your research.  

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:45:06 pm »
Thanks for the imput.
This second hand tub has never been used and it's 2 years old. But it's never been winterized or covered properly during that time. They only want what they paid $1100.00 (so basically it's just the tub)but we're going to have to purchase a lot of additions to get it up and running. We also will have to pay to transport and install  We would like to be able to use it all year round . Any idea of how much that would set us back ? Maybe it would be better to buy new ?

I would never ever pay that kind of money for a tub in need of repair. I would say offer them 200 and tell them if all goes well you will give them whats fair. Another 2-4 hundred. Your telling me it cost 1100 new? If so as soon as they picked it up and brought it home it was worth 550 used or not.
Retired

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 06:33:45 pm »
Some tubs simply and literally "FALL APART" when you try to move them (wood rots out).  Sounds like that could be the case for this one.  I'm with the others that say that if it was only worth $1,100 two years ago, it's worth FAR less today (if anything at all).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:10 pm »
 Let me add this to the reasons not to buy it,  our service tech loves working on them, great money maker for our company.     No kidding!!

spaz

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 10:06:39 pm »
Remember the old saying....you get what you pay for.  Simple as that.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:43:47 am »
It's never been used?    Huh?  Never hooked up? Never filled with water?  Who buys a new tub and never used it?  Riiiiight.

I bet they ment  "Oh we never use it" as opposed to NEVER USED AT ALL. ?????

Has it seen freezing temps?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:43:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42