What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine wait?  (Read 29002 times)

sonomablue

Chlorine wait?
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:12:23 pm »
I did a search, and could not find my answer, so I will post a question (my apologies if this is a no-brainer, but we have only had our spa 2 weeks, and are still figuring things out).

How long should we wait (after adding some chlorine) before going in that spa?

This is the "couple of times per week", 3 tablespoons, dose.  I think the guy called it the shock treatment.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine wait?
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:12:23 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Chlorine wait?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 01:24:30 pm »
Do your shock treatments after you have used the spa  not before you go in it
When you do shock make sure you leave at least half of the cover off so the off gassing wont eat away at your cover.

sonomablue

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 01:31:59 pm »
I appreciate the response. I will follow those guidelines. However, my wife added some Spa Essentials Sanitizer this morning (about 3 hours ago), and i was just curious if that means we need to wait 12 hours, 4 hours, 24 hours, or what?

thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 01:38:51 pm »
You could wait 20min or so, other than that if its chlorine she added the worst that will happens is you will smell like chlorine afterwards.

If you were told to add chlorine before use just add it after instead and shock every other week or so. If you shock after use then add chlorine once a week alot depends on usage.   As always opinions will vary on this subject.

sonomablue

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:51:57 pm »
Jim - Thanks.

No, it wasn't that we were told to add it before use. It's just that we had not added any for several days, and started to sense some smell, so we wanted to clear the smell. We should have added it last night, but didn't. The chemical added was "Spa Essentials Sanitizer" - which contains "dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate. (Dichlor). She added about 2 - 3 tablespoons.

I guess to be safe, we will wait a few more hours.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 06:43:01 pm »
Depending on how many gallons your tubs holds, 3TBS will bring your FC between 10-15ppm typically. If you're at all sensitive to chlorine I'd wait until it drops to about 5ppm. I'm not that sensitive to high chlorine levels but I never go in over 7ppm. For some high levels will not be a problem but for most, anything over 5 and their skin gets a little dry/irratated.

Just out of curiosity do you test for CC before shocking with dichlor?
If the wait time after shocking with dichlor causes an inconvenience, you could just use mps. You only have to wait 30 minutes or so after dosing to hop in.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:52:40 am »
Measure the chlorine levels before you go in to understand what conditions you have.

I have read in several places not to  get into a tub that has higher than 5ppm chlorine.

Personaly, I  wouldn't get into a tub with levels higher than 3ppm, and prefer to soak in waters with levels that are virtually 0.  But I do have sensitive skin.

The chlorine used in hot tubs (Dichlor) disapates relativly quickly in the hot water (as compared to swimming pools and the trichlor chlorine).  It's been my expereince that if I doss the hot tub to 5ppm after using the tub, the next day the levels are below 2 ppm.

Are you having a problem with the Clhorine being too high when you want to use the hot tub?  IF so, what is your routine for adding dichlor?

How often are you soaking? Multiple times per day?  Are you doesing the chlorine to a very high level each time?
What routine do you follow?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:53:16 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:52:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42