What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too many choices--TigerRiver-Jacuzzi-Caldera  (Read 10037 times)

spaz

Too many choices--TigerRiver-Jacuzzi-Caldera
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »
I had no idea when I finally decided to go out shopping for a spa there would be so many choices.  Perhaps some of you experienced spa users could assist.

There is no website like a Consumer Reports that offers spa ratings.  After shopping today, my 2 choices came down to Tiger River (Caspian model $8,000) and Jacuzzi (J345 model $7,000).  The Tiger River spa had multi level areas perfect for my children.  The Jacuzzi salesman dogged the Tiger River brand though.  Both The features I am looking for is 72x72, 5-6 persons, multi colored lighting, water feature, preferably multi level area and cover lifter about $7,000 is my budget but willing to spend less of course or more for features.  

If any experts out there can assist with this purchase, I would be so grateful!!  Perhaps you might even know of another brand that is better than those I mentioned.  

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:24:43 pm by spaz »

Hot Tub Forum

Too many choices--TigerRiver-Jacuzzi-Caldera
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Too many choices
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:12:29 pm »
That's too bad the Jacuzzi guy dogged the Tiger River.  Tiger River is made by Hot Spring and is a great brand of spas.  As long as you liked the price, seating and overall spa, and were comfortable with the dealer, then go for it.  You'll get plenty of recommendations to wet test.  I agree that you should always wet test when you can.

Jacuzzi is a fine spa as well.  I would just question the salesperson and why he felt he needed to bad mouth his competition.  

You will be very happy with the Caspian if that is the way you choose to go.  Good Luck.

And yes, there are too many choices.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Mez

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:36:18 pm »
I had no idea when I finally decided to go out shopping for a spa there would be so many choices.  Perhaps some of you experienced spa users could assist.

There is no website like a Consumer Reports that offers spa ratings.  After shopping today, my 2 choices came down to Tiger River (Caspian model $8,000) and Jacuzzi (J345 model $7,000).  The Tiger River spa had multi level areas perfect for my children.  The Jacuzzi salesman dogged the Tiger River brand though.  Both The features I am looking for is 72x72, 5-6 persons, multi colored lighting, water feature, preferably multi level area and cover lifter about $7,000 is my budget but willing to spend less of course or more for features.  

If any experts out there can assist with this purchase, I would be so grateful!!  Perhaps you might even know of another brand that is better than those I mentioned.  

Here is my 2 cents from a soon to be owner of a Jacuzzi J-345. Obviously I picked it over others in the same price range...my decision came down to dealer, warranty, price and function. I shopped for 2-3 weeks everywhere from dealers to big box stores to the internet and even ebay before making up my mind. There were cheaper spas out there and of course more expensive too, I just felt the 345 offred the most bnag for the buck, great warranty, nice styling and features and the dealer has been around for years.
 I dont like the dogging by sales reps of other brands. The Jacuzzi rep told me that Hot Spring was a good spa when I told him I narrowed it down to two, but he then went on to point out things as to why he felt Jacuzzi was the better choice, I think that is pretty common for reps to at least downplay the competition.
I will give you a heads up...I got my 345 for $6,495 including delivery, steps, ozone and chemicals. It list for 7995 and they were having a factory sanctioned sale for $6995. It is going to take 4-6 weeks to get it but that gives me time for site prep, etc.
 Good luck with your decision.

spaz

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:40:49 am »
Thanks for the advice so far.  

spaz

Re: Too many choices--Caldera Spas
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:23:21 pm »
Okay, I remain steadily confused.  After researching it seems I would be wasting money to pay $1,000 more for the Tiger River spa.

I also really liked the Caldera Tahitain.  Does not anybody have any comments on this spa.  It's a little over my budget--they want $8,995--but I'm hoping they might negoitate  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Too many choices--TigerRiver-Jacuzzi-Caldera
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:41:37 pm »
Tahitian is a great spa.  Tahitian has lounge, Caspian does not.  J345 does not.  Do you want a lounge?

What do you mean when you say paying an extra $1000 for the Tiger River is a waste of money?  $1000 more than what?  Are you comparing apples to apples?  If comparing to the Caldera, you are paying less.  It's all about what you want.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:50:13 pm by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:19:08 am »
Are you sure you are looking at the tahitian and not the olympia? They are the same spa, but the olympia (as for as I bemerber) is a highland series. EXASTLY the same spa, one has a circulation pump the other dunt. One has the gud jets, the other dunt. Be sure, just because the dealer has trhat sign in frunt of the spa doesnt mean that's wut ure lookin at. Be sure!

Tahitian is a great spa.  Tahitian has lounge, Caspian does not.  J345 does not.  Do you want a lounge?

What do you mean when you say paying an extra $1000 for the Tiger River is a waste of money?  $1000 more than what?  Are you comparing apples to apples?  If comparing to the Caldera, you are paying less.  It's all about what you want.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

spaz

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 06:02:39 am »

Thanks hottubdan!  The Tiger River spa will end up costing me $1,000 more than the Jacuzzi J-345.  From my research so far, it seems Tiger River is the medium quality brand by Hot Springs.  If they both have the same features, then I would seem to do better on the Jacuzzi providing the Jacuzzi is rated as well.  

spaz

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:10:59 am »
Are you sure you are looking at the tahitian and not the olympia? They are the same spa, but the olympia (as for as I bemerber) is a highland series. EXASTLY the same spa, one has a circulation pump the other dunt. One has the gud jets, the other dunt. Be sure, just because the dealer has trhat sign in frunt of the spa doesnt mean that's wut ure lookin at. Be sure!

It looks the sames as the one in the picture.  It definitely is my first favorite but the price was a little beyond my budget.  Do you think the dealer is asking around the right price?  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Too many choices--Caldera Spas
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 08:59:13 am »
Okay, I remain steadily confused.  After researching it seems I would be wasting money to pay $1,000 more for the Tiger River spa.

I also really liked the Caldera Tahitain.  Does not anybody have any comments on this spa.  It's a little over my budget--they want $8,995--but I'm hoping they might negoitate  

I have a Caspain and I think it's a great tub....HOWEVER, I think it's a great tub, because it was a "budget" tub among the higher end tubs. I was getting Hotpsrings quality, some very nice features at price lower than other premium tubs ($6,900) I thought for the money, it was a solid deal, and decent tub.  Wet test the Caspain. at 320 gallons, it's  a shallower tub than other tubs you may be comparing it too, and taller folks had said it just a bit too shallow for them.

at $8,000???? I would look at other tubs.
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 09:33:19 am »

Thanks hottubdan!  The Tiger River spa will end up costing me $1,000 more than the Jacuzzi J-345.  From my research so far, it seems Tiger River is the medium quality brand by Hot Springs.  If they both have the same features, then I would seem to do better on the Jacuzzi providing the Jacuzzi is rated as well.  

The analogy would be the Jacuzzi 400 series is the top end or closest comparison with Sundance 800 series or Hot Spring or Caldera Utopia.

300 series, Tiger River, 700 series and Caldera Paradise.

So far, what you have been looking at and comparing are all over the board feature wise.

I agree with Drewstar...Caspian is a great spa if the money is right and $8000 may be a little high if the 345 is truly $1000 less.  Make sure packages are comparable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:34:12 am by hottubdan »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 11:43:19 am »
I thought I would chime in here, as I've owned a Jacuzzi J345 and a Tiger River Bengal (currently) in the last few years...much to my wife's chagrin.

Postives of the 345:
- lower cost than TR
- a lot of power

Positives of TR (Bengal in my case)
- Better hydrotherapy (more power doesn't mean better therapy)
- more energy efficient (even the Jacuzzi dealer had to admit that)
- much better water filtration (IMHO.... I have not had a single day of cloudy water with my TR Bengal, whereas I had to contstantly monitor my 345)
- Hot Springs components

IMHO, the $1000 is a small price to pay for what I believe to be a better tub overall than the 345

Mark

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 11:52:27 am »
Golf,

Interesting post.

When you say lower costs for the Jaquizzi, do you mean purchase price Are you comparing the same model years?
What was the J345 going for? The Bengal?

The filtrationa and water quality caught my eye as well. Did the J-345 have a 24 hour circ pump?  ozone? What were you suing for a sanitizer? What about the Bengal?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 11:56:58 am »

The analogy would be the Jacuzzi 400 series is the top end or closest comparison with Sundance 800 series or Hot Spring or Caldera Utopia.

300 series, Tiger River, 700 series and Caldera Paradise.

So far, what you have been looking at and comparing are all over the board feature wise.

I agree, people can sometimes get confused on the difference between lower quality and lesser featured.

Your top list of brands shows the premium lines for those makers while the second list shows their "second line" but it's defined by its features (and may include length of warranty, which is a feature) but shouldn't necessarily be looked at as lesser in build quality so ask what the difference is in the way it's built and the componenets used (does it have the same framing, insulation, pumps, heater, etc.?).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:00:41 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »

I agree, people can sometimes get confused on the difference between lower quality and lesser featured.

Your top list of brands shows the premium lines for those makers while the second list shows their "second line" but it's defined by its features (and may include length of warranty, which is a feature) but shouldn't necessarily be looked at as lesser in build quality so ask what the difference is in the way it's built and the componenets used (does it have the same framing, insulation, pumps, heater, etc.?).

You are right.  In the cases of these brands (which I am familair with)  the lower line can be defined as having less features, less bells and whistles, less price.  However, with the above brands I don't think there is much difference in quality between top end and lower line.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42