What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Write off cost of tub on taxes?  (Read 12717 times)

SpaMorph

Write off cost of tub on taxes?
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:29 pm »
When I purchased my Grandee, I had a docs prescription, so I didn't pay sales tax.

Can we write off the cost of the tub too?

Hot Tub Forum

Write off cost of tub on taxes?
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:29 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Write off cost of tub on taxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:53:09 pm »
No
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:29:53 pm »
You need to run that by a tax professional.  Certain medical expenses are allowed to be deducted from your federal income taxes.  There is a hurdle on medical expenses.
If your state has an income tax it may also be deductible there, but largely depends on the state.
 Best bet is to talk to a tax consultant.  
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:15:47 am »
I cold never get a clear answer on this. Most tax folks will shy away from this guestion if asked in a "General manner"  as in "Hey bob, you're an accoutant, If I get a pescription for a hot tub, can  I write it off?"

I've seen answers  and calculations that invole the value of the home being involved in it, (you can only deduct the difference of the cost of the tub,  less the increase in home value).  I've seen warnings that the tub must primary be for medical use, and luxary items such as  waterfalls, and lights and fancy decks can be cause for an audit. I've heard the installation and related expenses can also be deducted.

I went with a new tax guy this year, and with my winning the new Caldera Geneava, asked him about this. (Folks, if you win anything over a value of  $500, the prize folks will submit a 1099 to the IRS stating you received the item.  The IRS will consider the MSRP of the prize to be "Taxable Income".and the Feds will look for 25% of the MSRP  next April.    :P )

As far as a medical deduction it was explained that medical costs (combined) that are over 7.5% of your gross adjusted income can then be deducted from you Federal Tax.   Medical costs can be grouped togethor: ie: prescriptions, co-payments, eye glasses, surgey etc.    So if your tub is mandated by a doctor, (you have a presciption) you can add the cost of the tub and related costst, to your total medical expsenses. Only the dollars over 7.5% of your GAI can then be deducted.

But you'd be a fool not to call your accountant before even considering it and discussing all the details and reviewing everything. Never take free tax advice from the internet.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:46:49 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:24:49 am »
I suspect someone taking a 10K deduction for a spa would at least merit a peeksie by the IRS.  I can see a whole can of worms opening.  If it's for a medical need by one person, they might not like someone deducting the cost of a 6 person spa, etc......
 It would be the therapy vs fun factor maybe?

We usually have a few thousand dollars per year of medical expenses I can't deduct because of that stupid hurdle.   With health care costing what it does, and more and more employers passing health care costs onto their employess by higher premiums, copays, and deductibles, etc....  it would be nice to have that hurdle lowered or eliminated.  
Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
I guess I responded based on the tub that was purchased. I thought justifying a tub that size for one patient would involve some pretty creative writing.  My friend's son is in a wheel chair, he can't walk or talk and his movement is very limited. He has a very advanced case of Lyme disease so he has a lot of pain. They purchased an indoor whirlpool tub to aleviate some of his arthritic symptoms. This was considered an acceptable medical deduction. It follows many other medically necessary items that this child has. I would really be afraid to try to deduct the cost of my tub, even though my motivation for purchase was arthritis, also from Lyme.  My tub is also too large to say I am the only one who benefits from it (although that could change if I don't soon start my South Beach Diet! ;D).
As others say, talk to your tax consultant.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:32:44 am »
From what I've heard, the tub doesn't have to be for the sole and exclusive use of the person with the ailment, it can be used by others and not some industrial therapy tub, it can very much be one of the hot tubs we discuss here.  
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:43:49 am »
Spa morph,

You didn't pay sales tax? Is that to say the actual dealer didn't charge you any sales tax simply because you had a note from your doctor?  I thought you were charged, but could later deduct it on your tax filings?

Are you in the United States?  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:06:59 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:01:44 am »
That may vary state by state.  Here in MN, we don't get consideration for sales tax, but it might be considered part of the cost of the spa that might get deducted.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:07:49 am »
That may vary state by state.  Here in MN, we don't get consideration for sales tax, but it might be considered part of the cost of the spa that might get deducted.

Ah, sales tax is a state tax and will vary by state. Cost of the tub maybe deducted as a medical deduction fromt the federal taxes as I outlined.

got it.

/I'm even confusing myself this a.m.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:08:18 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
Are you trying to say that topics regarding the IRS have the potential to be confusing?

Couldn't be.  The IRS is the easiest government entity to understand!

NOT
Brewman

caribbeansun

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:50 am »
Why be afraid?  Worst case they deny the deduction putting you back to where you are today.  Of course being audited isn't fun so perhaps that's a consideration.  If you feel "wrong" deducting the whole thing then deduct half or a quarter - if it's a legitimate expenditure that is prescribed by your Dr. then I don't understand why you'd be willing to just give it away at the front end without even a discussion.

I would really be afraid to try to deduct the cost of my tub, even though my motivation for purchase was arthritis, also from Lyme.  My tub is also too large to say I am the only one who benefits from it

seamoe

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 08:47:12 pm »
After being hit by a car and numerous trips to the Dr. and a chiropractor, it was suggested that a hot tub would help in treatments, and so on.  Because of this I used the cost of my spa as a medical expense and was allowed to deduct the entire cost off my taxes.  I was told by a former IRS tax prep person that if a Dr. prescribes this, it can be counted as an uninsured medical expense and can be used as a tax deduction.  However, it is very important that a medical professional recommends this as part of ongoing treatment.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:46 am »
After being hit by a car and numerous trips to the Dr. and a chiropractor, it was suggested that a hot tub would help in treatments, and so on.  Because of this I used the cost of my spa as a medical expense and was allowed to deduct the entire cost off my taxes.  I was told by a former IRS tax prep person that if a Dr. prescribes this, it can be counted as an uninsured medical expense and can be used as a tax deduction.  However, it is very important that a medical professional recommends this as part of ongoing treatment.

Is that to say, you were able to deduct the entire cost of the tub, regardless if your other medical expesenses met the 7.5% of you adjusted gross income?  
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42