What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 4 week check-up  (Read 1803 times)

tubsoakin

4 week check-up
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:56:38 am »
Hi all,

Haven't posted much but I have been doing a lot of reading.  Today is four weeks that we have had our Sundance Optima and so far we love it.  As I said I have been doing a lot of reading and have been trying to get the hang of trying to regulate bromine, every time I think I need to aI dd a tablet and put one in my levels seem to shoot up to 10 ppm and then I have to take the tablet back out to get the levels to a safe usable level.  I must preface this by saying that I have been using test to test with and am today looking for a Taylor test kit because I don't trust the strips to be accurate.  

I am trying to decide which method of water treatment to try, and if the Sunpurity (N2) is worth the cost and if it will make the water last that much longer.  I also need to know if I need to drain the tub or if I can just pull out the bromine tabs and leave it for a few days for the bromine to go away.  I am not against draining the tub and have to agree with Chas that it probably would be a good idea to get rid of the "Learning" water and get on with soaking and enjoying the hot water.  I have been contemplating using either the Vermonter method or the Northman method of treating the water unless I can come up with a better way that I would be comfortable with of treating the water and not be soaking in a "chemical stew".

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Hot Tub Forum

4 week check-up
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:56:38 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: 4 week check-up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:12:59 am »
You can do both, either drain the water down and add fresh water, or if you want, remove the bromine dispensor and let the levels drift down.  Dumping some water is the quickest, but the most work. Letting drift down is easy, but will take a while.  Other than the bromine level,  how old is the water, and have you medicated it with anything else?

folks using bromine, once they get thier method down, report very good results with water quality.  I used it for a while and didn't care for the system and switched to Dichlor and post soaking dosage very close to what folks refer to as the "vermornters method". I also have a freeshwater oxinator and I've had great luck with my water quality.

I'm not a fan of the N2 mineral prodcts, but there are some folks here that will tell you they have great results and it enhances thier water.  My advice is to wait on the Mineral sticks and focus on getting your primary sanitation method under control first.  After getting it under control and living with the tub and the water for a few change outs, I'd say then invest the money in a mineral stick and you can decide for yourself if it's a benifit or not.

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:58:47 pm »
Actually, once bromine is in the water, it is in the water.  Even if active bromine is not measurable, combined bromine is still there.

If you are going to switch to N2, wait until it is time to drain.

What kind of dispenser do you have fro the bromine tabs?  Can you adjust the dispenser?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 02:02:45 pm »
I assumed you would use the Mineral frog,  specifically made for bromine applications?
07 Caldera Geneva

tubsoakin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:33:06 pm »
Actually I have a Sundance spa that has a built in brominator, and that I know of there is no way to regulate the amount of flow through it.  I really don't want to have a floating bromine dispenser.  If the built in bromine dispenser won't take care of it with bromine I am going to use another method of sanitizer ie. chlorine or chlorine and one of the metal ion products.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:33:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42