What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is a single filter sufficient?  (Read 3822 times)

NWI

Is a single filter sufficient?
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:45:44 pm »
My last spa had 5 filters and after a month of decent use would collect quite a bit a grime, even with showering before use.  One of the spas I'm considering has 1 filter, so I'm a bit concerned as to whether it will be adequate?  Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Is a single filter sufficient?
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:45:44 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Is a single filter sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »
The biggest questions with filtration are-

What is the square footage of the filter? - this is how much material the filter has in its construction- and consequently, how much debris it can take on.

How many pumps are there? - every pump has to have two intakes.  A filter counts for one intake.  If it is a one jet pump spa, water will come through the filter and a bypass fitting at the bottom of the tub.  If it is a two pump spa, you'll have three of those fittings along with the filter.

Hope this answers some of your question.  What kind of spa is it?

NWI

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:59 pm »
The biggest questions with filtration are-

What is the square footage of the filter? - this is how much material the filter has in its construction- and consequently, how much debris it can take on.

How many pumps are there? - every pump has to have two intakes.  A filter counts for one intake.  If it is a one jet pump spa, water will come through the filter and a bypass fitting at the bottom of the tub.  If it is a two pump spa, you'll have three of those fittings along with the filter.

Hope this answers some of your question.  What kind of spa is it?

It is the Coleman 481 with two pumps.  I can't seem to locate the square footage of the filter on their website.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:11:03 pm »

It is the Coleman 481 with two pumps.  I can't seem to locate the square footage of the filter on their website.

Hmm, I looked too and didn't see that reference. I'm not sure why they wouldn't state it, I think most do and it should be pretty straight forward. I'd simply all up the dealer and ask them over the phone what the filter Sq Ft is.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Reese

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:37:59 pm »
As long as you are considering a good quality tub from a manufacturer like Coleman, I wouldn't worry about the number of filters or the square footage.  I'm confident that Coleman (or any other major brand for that matter) has engineered appropriate capacity into its filtration system.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:50:51 pm »
To a certain extend square footage is marketing. Marquis for example until last year was at 100 sq ft of filtration marketing thought felt it meant more to the consumer than 70 which is what R&D wanted, they now use 70. Why ? better jet performance and the water stays just as clean.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:50:08 pm »
To a certain extend square footage is marketing. Marquis for example until last year was at 100 sq ft of filtration marketing thought felt it meant more to the consumer than 70 which is what R&D wanted, they now use 70. Why ? better jet performance and the water stays just as clean.

why, that sounds like a marketing statement. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Micah

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:23:38 pm »

why, that sounds like a marketing statement. ;)

It might be a marketing statement...but it's true.

As far as filteration goes even a 25 sq. ft. filter on a softtub will keep 300 gallons perfectly clean.  The advantage of a bigger filter or multiple filters is that you will have to clean them less often.  The disadvantage is that it will be twice as expensive (or more) to replace those filters. A coleman filter will do just as good of a job of keeping the water clear as a hot spring / sundance / jacuzzi or marquis.  For the record Coleman is my competition, I don't sell them. They are a great spa company.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:24:09 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

anne

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:20 am »
I have a 400 gal spa with one 50 sq ft filter, and have never had an issue. Since I have 3 pumps, and one filter, I probably have hillbilly heads and other detritus floating around in my pipes (Term will supply the diagram), but I'm always enjoying crystal clear water, unless I forget to chlorinate for a few days, and that's my fault, not the filter's.
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 09:02:52 am »
I have a 320 gallon tub with a 65 sq foot pleated filter. I have no problems.   I''ll be upgrading to a  475 gallon Geneva, that has a single 100 sq ft filter. I have heard nothing negative about the Geneva's filtering capability.

When I clean the filter each month, I notice it's not too bad, so I am not left with the impression that the filters are being pushed to thier maximum limit.

If I have frineds over, and the hot tub gets used a bit more than normal, I may run an extra 10 minute auto clean cycles and shock it., but single filter works well for me and has never been an issue.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:23:21 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

loosenupspas

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:51 am »
Coleman 481 has a 75 Sq. Ft. Filter........simple enough

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 10:17:54 am »
One filter is more than adequate for most spas.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

rick

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 12:01:31 pm »
NWI,  I own a Coleman 480, same spa except no lounger I believe.   I've had no issues with good filtration.

Coleman was also the first to have a "pre-filter",  it's a round flat thin disk shaped filter that sits on top of the skimmer and grabs 95% of the debris that would normally go to the main filter.   One just takes it out and rinses it off every couple  three days and the result is that you don't have to clean the main filter as often as you would think.   I get by cleaning the big guy once every 2 months and he is not that dirty.  

This prefilter gizmo is a slick idea and it really opens your eyes as to how much crap can get into your water.

NWI

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 12:52:06 pm »
NWI,  I own a Coleman 480, same spa except no lounger I believe.   I've had no issues with good filtration.

Coleman was also the first to have a "pre-filter",  it's a round flat thin disk shaped filter that sits on top of the skimmer and grabs 95% of the debris that would normally go to the main filter.   One just takes it out and rinses it off every couple  three days and the result is that you don't have to clean the main filter as often as you would think.   I get by cleaning the big guy once every 2 months and he is not that dirty.  

This prefilter gizmo is a slick idea and it really opens your eyes as to how much crap can get into your water.

Great info Rick.  Did you happen to go with the ozone system?  The dealer wasn't pushing it real hard, not sure if it was a bias againt ozone in general or the effectiveness of the system Coleman uses.

rick

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:41 pm »
I have ozone yes.   Can't tell you how much it helps or not since I've always had it.  

How much do they want for it?

You could use it as a deal closer too maybe.    After you 2 get close to a price,  tell him to throw it in for the deal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42