What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam in tub water!!!!  (Read 3179 times)

dunerunner25

Foam in tub water!!!!
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:39:49 pm »
Hey everyone loving my Grandee spa just got my steps still waiting for my cover.  

I am using the fresh starts system that comes with your Hot springs spa and am having trouble with the water foaming up every time I use it.  I have been using the test strips and all levels are where they are suppose to be when I get out of the spa.  Not a problem there...just with the foam.  I use the defoamer that comes with the system it seems to help to an extent.  It doesn't cure the problem though!!

Is there a better system I should check into? I am almost out of my chemicals. What should I do?

Hot Tub Forum

Foam in tub water!!!!
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:39:49 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Foam in tub water!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 10:30:52 pm »
Dune, are you saying the spa was delivered without a cover? When we first got our spa we also had a foam problem. It turned out it was soap residue from our bathing suits. We only use suits now washed without any soap. It doesn't take very much soap to generate quite a bit of foam. Good luck.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

dunerunner25

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:05:40 am »
Thanks for the info Gomboman. Yes it has a cover but not the right one... I got a reverse cover coming next week.  Maybe the bathing suits.  It has only been a week I might have used too many chemicals.  Test strip is dead on though it smells a little like chlorine. Water is very clear until the jets are started.  Maybe its the fresh start chemicals that are causing the foam? Is non-chlorine system a good option for my problem? Probably going to drain and start over again soon. :-/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:07:47 am by dunerunner25 »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:18:51 am »
Could be residue of when spa was water tested and cleaned at factory.

Could just need good nonchlorine shock to get rid of chlorine smell and maybe foam.

What is your hardness level?  Could be the water is too soft.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:15:56 am »
Only time I have ever had foam in the tub was when guest were over and swimsuits were required. You would be surprised how much soap is still in suits!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:06:10 am »
Dune,

Take Chas' excellent suggestion of changing your water after the first month.  New tub owners have a tendency to "over medicate" and that first change is a good suggestion.  Also, you and your fam can switch over to swimsuits that are dedicated to spa use only so that they don't go through the wash.

Also, I use a spritz bottle with 1/2 defoamer and 1/2 water to keep foam at bay when it does occur.

Good luck... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

dunerunner25

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:02:25 pm »
K im going to drain my tub and start over :'(  I like the spray bottle idea...very nice.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:04:11 pm by dunerunner25 »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:31:10 pm »
this is one of those weird things...we bought a high efficiency washer/dryer combo a year and a half ago, and the guy that sold them to us said "the first time you wash your clothes in this, DON'T USE ANY LAUNDRY SOAP. What's left behind from your old washer will be enough to clean the load." I thought he was nuts... That cup or so of soap that we used for a regular load left so much residue, it's amazing...in any case, it turns out he was RIGHT, and we're using about 1-2 Tbsp of soap now for a full size load, and the clothes are still getting clean. But I still haven't used soap on the swimsuits since getting the tub.
RIP C-Rod

mader

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:36:39 am »
Definitely suits.  I find any article of clothing washed with detergent will get the foam going.  T-shirts are a sure fire recipe for having foam.  Normal bathing suit trunks will get the foam going after a few/couple of weeks, in my experience.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:13 am »
this is one of those weird things...we bought a high efficiency washer/dryer combo a year and a half ago, and the guy that sold them to us said "the first time you wash your clothes in this, DON'T USE ANY LAUNDRY SOAP. What's left behind from your old washer will be enough to clean the load." I thought he was nuts... That cup or so of soap that we used for a regular load left so much residue, it's amazing...in any case, it turns out he was RIGHT, and we're using about 1-2 Tbsp of soap now for a full size load, and the clothes are still getting clean. But I still haven't used soap on the swimsuits since getting the tub.

Same here.  However, I use the HE soap, but we were suprised at the suds that would come out of the clothes.

Soap causes foam.   Use no foam products very sparingly (The spray bottle works great), and only as a last resort. I typically scoop as much as I can, and ensure all my levels  are dead on before I even think of using a de foamer.

I never found a perfect solution to foam and am still looking.

My #1 defense is not to wear suits in the tub, and when friends come by, the "regulars" who use it frequently know not to wash thier suits in the washing machine.  But sometimes, soapy suits will get into your tub.  :(  So remeber:

The nasty truth is,

1) Defoamers will cloud your water.  

2) Water clarifiers will  cause foam and you're back to step 1.

3) Using both will greatl reduce your overall quality of the water and require more frequent change overs.

4) keep you filters clean and rinsed well.

5) Suits are evil.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:40:50 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:14:05 pm »
The nasty truth is,

1) Defoamers will cloud your water.

drew,

I haven't noticed any cloudiness in my water when using a 50/50 defoamer/water solution applied with a spritz bottle as needed while soaking EXCEPT I do see a little bit of the defoamer on the surface after pumps are turned off.  This is always gone by next soak--presumably filtered out.  And I haven't seen any residue whatsoever on the filters...it's probably there but cannot be seen and gets rinsed every other week or so.  And with the spritz bottle method, there really isn't that much defoamer being introduced.  

Evil suits indeed!  8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 01:32:01 pm »

drew,

I haven't noticed any cloudiness in my water when using a 50/50 defoamer/water solution applied with a spritz bottle as needed while soaking EXCEPT I do see a little bit of the defoamer on the surface after pumps are turned off.  This is always gone by next soak--presumably filtered out.  And I haven't seen any residue whatsoever on the filters...it's probably there but cannot be seen and gets rinsed every other week or so.  And with the spritz bottle method, there really isn't that much defoamer being introduced.  

Evil suits indeed!  8-)

I asgree. using the defoamer in the spritz bottle GREATLY reduces the cloudiness, I've been using my defoamer straight....I think I might try a 50/50 mix and try my luck.  My point was cautionary to new users that defoam isn't all the great and must be used sparingly.

I was reading the manuals for my Caldera, and if I recall I think Caldera doens't recomend the use of clafifiers at all.  ???
07 Caldera Geneva

dunerunner25

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:06:44 pm »
Guess my wife and I need to soak naked more often...Bummer!!! LOL
Thanks everyone for the great ideas and info. I refilled my spa and things are good :)  Still waiting for my reverse cover though...uhhh... come on dealer!!!

Bama

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 10:47:30 pm »
Drewster,
Thanks for the check list of, do's and don'ts!
That makes life simple! ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:08 am »
Drewster,
Thanks for the check list of, do's and don'ts!
That makes life simple! ;)

Well, I'm a pretty simple person.  ;)

The other thing that always should be remembered is Chas rule (Or is it Docs or Wm? I dunno...) Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your tub.   So with foam, high TDS, cloudyness,  et all  while it's fundemental to understand what's causing it, what can be done about it, and how your additives interact and effect the water quality, nothing is better than clean fresh water. IF you're fighting foam and your 3 months into the water and it's above freezing, I'd prefer to drain and refill over adding chems any day.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42