What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Grandee: First water change  (Read 3329 times)

SpaMorph

Grandee: First water change
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:18:48 am »
It's time to change the water in my '07 Grandee for the first time and I've got a couple of questions:

Why doesn't the water drain completely out of the footwell?  With the primary and secondary drains open, the water will not drain from the footwell.  The owners manual doesn't address this.

Once the tub is empty, do you guys typically get in it and clean/wipe the shell down?  If so, what's the best product to use?  I have the Sterling Marble shell.

Also, what do you use to clean/maintain the exterior cabinet surface?  My Espresso cabinet is starting to look a bit dingy.

Do you recommend any products for cleaning the spa cover?

Hot Tub Forum

Grandee: First water change
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:18:48 am »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Grandee: First water change
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 11:29:28 am »
I've heard that a product called 303 Protector (?) is supposed to be good for the vinyl cover.
I also would be interested if others could comment the need to apply anything to the Everwood cabinet.  
So far, I've just been wiping it down and it looks good as new. I've got a coastal grey tub so it may not show as much as the Expresso.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 11:46:47 am »
With a bottom drain a tub should be able to get 99% of the water out (water still in plumbing). If you really want to get all the water out, I've read use a wet dry vac. I have a bottom drain but never use it. I use a cover pump and suck as much water out of the footwell as I can and then just refill. I will use the vac if I use swirl away.

As far as the cover, I will wash it down with bleach and water or just the outside with dish detergent and a deck brush, rinse and dry it off and uses 303 to put a protectant on the cover. I used to put it on the inside but have't done it for a long while.

I never gloss or wipe anything unless I have a residue on the tub.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:56:43 am »
The water should all drain out.  I've never seen it not do so.

As far as cleaning:  Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and nothing else.  Dip it in water, wipe the spa down.  It's non-permeable (the shell), so it won't absorb odors or bacteria.  I use the eraser on the cabinet as well with nothing but water.

303 protectant or CoverShield Cover Cleaner from HotSpring for the cover.

Be sure and refill the spa through the gray filter pipe to prevent an airlock. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Richs100

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:30:22 pm »
Are you sure that your tub is level?  
This might be why its not fully draining.  
My old tub tilted toward the rear a bit and wouldn't completely drain out of the plug.
I would have to use a sponge to get the balance of the water out.

Spa_hottie

• HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 04:43:32 pm »
The water should drain when the drain cap is removed.  I usuaully suggest taking a shop vac and blowing out the jet lines as well.  If you want to, you can use a surface cleaner but may have to rinse it before you refill.  I have found that it tends to foam when over used or not rinsed.  

You can clean the cabinet with a regular garden hose and mild dish detergent and getle soft scrub brush.

I would definitly go 303 on the outside of the cover.
GO BLUE!

SpaMorph

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:24:53 pm »
The water should all drain out.  I've never seen it not do so.
Very strange.  The footwell is filled entirely; not just a little water.  The tub drained fine until the water level reached the footwell, then it just stopped.  I opened the secondary drain and a small amount of water drained out of it, but the water in the footwell remained.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Richs100

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 08:12:29 pm »
This may sound dumb, but if you have a hose attached to the drain plug, make sure the end is below the level of the tub.

Its the only thing I could think of .

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:17:21 pm »
Very strange.  The footwell is filled entirely; not just a little water.  The tub drained fine until the water level reached the footwell, then it just stopped.  I opened the secondary drain and a small amount of water drained out of it, but the water in the footwell remained.

Any idea what the problem could be?

This seems odd.

You obviously removed a drain cap from the line but is there a ball valve handle and did you turn that as well?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SpaMorph

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 01:46:34 pm »
This may sound dumb, but if you have a hose attached to the drain plug, make sure the end is below the level of the tub.
OK, guys, I figured it out.  The hose attached to the primary drain had a slight incline in it as it exited the tub.  The little bit of water left in the footwell apparently wasn't enough pressure to force the water up the incline in the hose.  I went ahead and took the hose off and it drained right out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up getting the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and cleaned the shell with it.  

I can't find the "303" protector/cleaner in the stores.  Is that the name brand?  Where should I look?

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 07:03:18 pm »
Quote from Richs100 on Yesterday at 8:12pm:

OK, guys, I figured it out.  The hose attached to the primary drain had a slight incline in it as it exited the tub.  The little bit of water left in the footwell apparently wasn't enough pressure to force the water up the incline in the hose.  I went ahead and took the hose off and it drained right out.

Hey guys...do I get a prize for amatuer spa trouble diagnostics?  
Can I put "Spa Owner and Part-Time Spa Tech" in my tag line?

OK, quit laughin' at me.  Sheeze.  
It doesn't happen very often.....  :) ;) :D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 07:42:36 pm »
I'd send him a bill !!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 07:42:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42