What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Blanket or not?  (Read 7981 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
Spa Blanket or not?
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:55 am »
Hi!
My new tub is being delivered today so I am trying to to be educated enough to make the right decisions, or at least good ones!  
So, I have search for spa blanket on this forum and could not find many hits.  
What are your opinions on this?  Is it that much better for insulation?  Does it really save the cover a little? Will the spa heat up quicker?  (I am getting a Hot Springs Prodigy hooked up to 115v) etc, etc.?
Thanks for any input....also if you have any other suggestions about must have "improvements" send em to me.
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Blanket or not?
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:55 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa Blanket or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:37:29 am »
Not so sure it will heat up the spa quicker- probably not enough to notice.
 Should save on cover wear and tear, and could hold heat in your water better.
I don't use one right now, but I'm tempted to order one with my next cover order.
 Doc's website has some information on spa blanketsif you're interested.
If you live in an area like I do, where it can get cold in the winter, I can see the potential for energy savings.  In warmer climates, I'd think not as much potential there.  
Brewman

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:58:00 am »
I lucked out--My neighbor was replacing his pool cover.  Most of it was in great shape as it was only 3 years old and rarely used.  They kept it tied up and the end had escaped and had big rips.  Not good for covering his pool, but just right for me.  Anyway, I was able to cut it up into enough bubble blankets to last me for years!

Indeed, it keeps my cover pretty dry.  I have a brown spot above where my ozonator is.  A forum friend said it  was nitrous oxide.  Better to have it on my blanket instead of the new cover.

The cover does get wet, but only around the edges-- I do not have the blanket cut exactly to the edges.  Another forum friend suggested getting another square of blanket and using a washable marker to measure it directly on top of/at the water line.  Perhaps I'll do that this summer.

I have never not had a cover, so I can't compare that.  

When I open my tub half-way, I grab the blanket and toss at least half of it up on the cover.  Then when the cover opens all the way, the blanket goes with and is hanging from my cover.  When I get in the tub, I can make sure it is all out of the water and laying smooth, ready for closing up.  I do not find it to be a problem at all.  It takes all of 10 extra seconds, 15 if there is a big wrinkle to smooth out.

Oh!  The downfall that I see, is that I cannot just dump in my teaspoon or so of dichlor, hit the clean button, shut the cover, and go in the house for the night.  The blanket would get swirled all around, partially sucked into my filter basket, impede the cleaning process, and not be on top of the water where it belongs.  I have to leave my cover open, set the kitchen timer for 10 minutes, and go outside again to shut it up

I'd like to think that by keeping the cover dry, it is helping to prolong it's life as well as to provide some extra insulation and evaporation protection.  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:38:05 am »

...  I have a brown spot above where my ozonator is.  A forum friend said it  was nitrous oxide. ...

Nitrous oxide? Laughing gas?

N20 is a gas. So the spot isn't N20, and i don't see how N20 is being produced in the tub.  How did he explain this?
07 Caldera Geneva

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:32:24 am »

Kervis,

What a classic movie that was.

I would imagine that your spot is pretty much the same thing, nitric acid and should wipe off with a sponge.  Your post may start the whole ozone thing again explaining the benefits of a proper sized contact chamber ;)

Drewstar--that's funny!   ;D I did think I sounded pretty intelligent there for a minute though...  ::)

I found the old post ---

NITRIC ACID!!

2005 HS Vanguard

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:38:58 am »

Drewstar--that's funny!   ;D I did think I sounded pretty intelligent there for a minute though...  ::)

I found the old post ---

NITRIC ACID!!

I've heard of nitric acid too. Never the Nitrous oxide. I didn't know if I was misunderstanding something. (ie confused)

You know,  for a second I thought maybe you had a real  suped up tub   - NOS injected  :D like the drag racers.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:49:24 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:47 am »
I give the spa blanket two thumbs up...It protects the spa cover and keeps it dry...and it does add insulation value. I have the gray blanket (I believe it is called closed cell..but check on Doc's site)  so far I am a believer!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

nlittle

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 12:14:51 pm »
I give the spa blanket two thumbs up...It protects the spa cover and keeps it dry...and it does add insulation value. I have the gray blanket (I believe it is called closed cell..but check on Doc's site)  so far I am a believer!

Thanks for everyones input!  What is docs URL?  :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:11 pm »

Thanks for everyones input!  What is docs URL?  :)

http://www.rhtubs.com/

Tell em Drewstar sent ya, and INSIST on the forum discount.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:12:29 pm »
Being new to spas and not having a spa bubble blanket, I have to ask, when my Jacuzzi J-355 circulates water at 12am, 6am, 12pm, and 6pm, all for 45 minutes each, would it "wad" the blanket up and potential sink it or suck it up to the filters?  

Thanks in advance.

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:31:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure the bubble type would move all over the place.  It worked that way on my pool when the return was pointing upward.

I have the closed cell type cover and it sits right in place, it's like a 1/4 inch thick.  I was able to cut the blanket to the actual size of tub.  This was simply done by inserting the blanaket and walking around the tub with a cutter.

I purchased my blanket from doc as well.

nlittle

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 02:22:05 pm »
Being new to spas and not having a spa bubble blanket, I have to ask, when my Jacuzzi J-355 circulates water at 12am, 6am, 12pm, and 6pm, all for 45 minutes each, would it "wad" the blanket up and potential sink it or suck it up to the filters?  

Thanks in advance.

Good question..my tub is a hot springs so I think there is a little circulation all the time rather than having cycles...as a result I believe the blanket would be ok.  Not having it yet I don't really know.

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 03:35:08 pm »
That bring up another question I have about circulation.  I think I'll post another thread.

Thanks.

vjs1958

• 2006 Dimension One Seville
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 04:26:56 pm »
I put a blanket on mine about  a month ago, a grey closed cell purchased from RHtubs, that's made a significant difference in how often the heater comes on. I've had the tub for less than a year so I can't compare the electrical savings without a blanket. However when I'm in the tub alone I fold the blanket  in half and leave it floating on the side of the tub I'm not in. I was in the tub alone yesterday with the tub set at 101 degress and the air temp around 40 for 30 min, the heater never came on and the tub stayed at 101. That's never happened before without the blanket  even with air temps over 60. I also got a cover saver with the blanket. It keeps the spa cover suspended away from the cover lifter when it's open so that the cover hinge is not supporting the weight of the cover as it hangs on the lifter.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 11:39:26 pm »
It doesn't get very cold where I live but I've noticed steam coming out from under my cover occasionally. The steam escapes at the joint where the two cover halves are put together. It's not exactly air tight where the two halves are joined. I guess a blanket would minimize some of the heat loss in this situation.

I wonder why the spa/cover manufacturers don't include a spa blanket if they actually provide a benefit?  
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 11:39:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42