What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring Aria - Consumer's Digest Best Buy  (Read 10416 times)

Hot Tub Forum

Hotspring Aria - Consumer's Digest Best Buy
« on: March 02, 2007, 11:02:16 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hotspring Aria - Consumer's Digest Best Buy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:05:42 am »
Wow. Amazing.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:11:31 am »
Act like you didn't know...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:12:52 am »
Consumers Digest, a highly respected authority on value in the consumer marketplace, recently named the Aria™ spa a Best Buy. The maker of Hot Spring spas is the only spa manufacturer to have one of its spas named a Best Buy each of the six times Consumers Digest has rated spas. No other spa manufacturer can make this claim.

No wonder Hot Spring Spas is the world's number one selling brand.

:o

Terminator ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:13:58 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:30 am »
And here we go again. Nothing against Watkins here (aka Hot Spring Spas) however the consumer needs to be aware that "Consumers Digest" is an advertising vehicle and nothing more. For the price of a couple 10 thousands of dollars, any product can have the "Consumers Digest" "Best Buy" award. Granted it takes a solid company to be able to pony up the best buy fee, but it is what it is, a paid for endorsement pure and simple!
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:16:34 am »
Oh lord, they're gonna start chanting soon, followed by a group hug and free koolaid.  ;) :D

Congrats guys.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:59:39 am »
For the price of a couple 10 thousands of dollars, any product can have the "Consumers Digest" "Best Buy" award. Granted it takes a solid company to be able to pony up the best buy fee, but it is what it is, a paid for endorsement pure and simple!

Nope. Not correct. There is a charge to use the logo, but if it is not awarded, it cannot be purchased.

If it is awarded, and the company chooses not to pony up the cash, they cannot use the logo.

Also, CD does accept advertising dollars.

I know this is somewhat controversial, and many here think it is worthless information. I will note that if is was possible to just go 'buy' the rating, the larger companies would all have it. Notice that they don't.

8-)

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:19:09 pm »
I hate to disagree, but you just have to open a Consumer Digest and see all the advertising that is done in there. Consumer Reports does not accept advertising so they remain unbiased. my next door neighbor is a editor for a magazine and it is well known that Consumer Digest does not even purchase tubs to test them, where as Consumer Reports will purchase products from a retailer, not the manufacturer and test them. They have never done a test on hot tubs/portable spas. To independently test ever brand and model out there would take a long time.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:26:48 pm »
I hate to disagree, but you just have to open a Consumer Digest and see all the advertising that is done in there.

I'm not sure who you are disagreeing with: I said that CD accepts advertising dollars. I know that make most folks suspicious.

8-)

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:31:17 pm »
Back in the 90's both Coleman and Sundance had spas that made Consumer's Digest Best Buy. I can't remember the years, but I think the Coleman models were the Spectrum 247 and the Horizon 411.

Hotsprings dealers should be proud, we used it in every sales pitch, shouted it from the rooftops, and displayed the award.

Just remember next year it may go to the competition down the road from you... ::)

anne

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:52:25 pm »
Consumers Digest, a highly respected authority on value in the consumer marketplace,

I'd say this is the debatable part, then, but if nothing else, I'm sure HS dealers like having more "material" for their schpeals. Good for them.
Dance like nobody's watching

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 01:00:30 pm »
Typically several spas are rated Best Buy each time they do a ratings.  I know a Caldera made it this time also.  In the past I have seen Artesian, Marquis, Sundance, Soft Tub and more.

As Term said, Hot Spring is the only brand to be rated Best Buy every time ratings have been done.

I don't know who else made the cut this time.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 01:06:36 pm »

I'd say this is the debatable part, then, but if nothing else, I'm sure HS dealers like having more "material" for their schpeals. Good for them.

Everyone....EVERYONE...has a spiel (or schpeal if you prefer)...some just have a little more substance than others. :)

Termy (the unhostile or unhosteal if you prefer) ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:07:19 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 01:22:12 pm »
So where can we access the test results, the tubs and brands tested, the criteria for being a best buy. How tubs tested in each category, what were they tested for,
OMG i just caught myself.... I think I need to stay away from Colorado. BTW if any manufacturer would like to donate a tub and $10,000 to me to do a independent test, non biased of course, I will test them equally.
The room is spinning
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto

anne

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »

Everyone....EVERYONE...has a spiel (or schpeal if you prefer)...some just have a little more substance than others. :)

Termy (the unhostile or unhosteal if you prefer) ;)

I thought the work was just slang, and therefore was phonetically spelled. I think it is funny that it is a really word, though. Of course everyone has one- that was my point. I think that whether or not someone thinks that the Consumer digest is a "respected" source, or just paid advertisement is what determines the value of that spiel. I personally have lost respect for Consumer Reports, as their "report" on veterinary medicine a few years back was FULL of VERY bad advice. So I am not going to automatically trust Consumer Digest either. But since lots of people buy Consumer Digest and use it to shop, it must be good for any company to be in there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:33:22 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42