What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Some questions for you wiser folks....  (Read 17353 times)

redwright

Some questions for you wiser folks....
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:15:47 am »
Good morning!!

:)

I was directed here from another forum .... and I like the way you're set up here much better! But I'm a sucker for graphics.

My husband and I are really excited about buying our first spa. But we are lousy consumers! We've tried to gain some knowledge - but the spa market is quite confusing!  We're both actors - so we really can't go crazy and buy the Mercedes of all Spas. But we do want to make a smart purchase.

So anyone who can comment on my questions -- jump in please!

1.  Like I said, we are easily influenced by bells and whistles so we thought the Bullfrog was fun and interesting. But I hear a lot of neagtive talk about this brand. Can you tell me what the specific issues with this brand are? What are its drawbacks and problems?

2.  What is the best round spa for 5-6 people?

3.  Does anyone have suggestions or knowledge of good dealers here in Minnesota?

4.  Are there brands we should avoid because of our FREEZING COLD winters? (We're planning on installing our spa in a new 3-season porch ... but there are still dreadful windchills here.)

Nice to meet you all ... and thanks in advance for any info you wanna pass along.

Red

Hot Tub Forum

Some questions for you wiser folks....
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:15:47 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Some questions for you wiser folks....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:53:04 am »
Large Round spas are not nearly as common as they were years ago in this industry but one that has survived for nearly 30 years as a very popular model is the Dimension One Arena. I will give you a picture and a link.

http://d1spas.com/spa_selector.asp?spa=14

Another large round spa is the Nordic warrior.... most of the round spas are not big enough for 6 people without crowding, these two are.

You would want to order the Warrior in full foam if you choose it due to the cold weather in your area.

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:57:11 am »
I'm not sure if I'm wise...... ::)    but I'll put my $.02 in.  There are a few here who have a Bullfrog spa and are happy with it.  There are some good tubs out there on the market, so you'll have to shop around.  This site will help you out in the decision making process.  

I really didn't care about "bells and whistles" when I bought my tub.  We wanted a quality product with a good warranty, reputatation, therapy, insulation, etc.  We ended up a HotSpring Jetsetter and absolutely love it.  The MotoMassage DX jet was definitely one of the selling points for us.

I'm sure there are numerous spa dealers in your area.  My uncle ended up buying a Cal Spa in the Eden Prairie area and his family really likes it.  

As far as your Minnesota winter's and tub insulation, most of the top tubs out there will suit you fine.  Just don't ask about full foam vs. thermopane insulation here (if you want to know about it, do a search or look in the "beating a dead horse" forum).  Good luck in your search!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:58:11 am by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:00:04 pm »
Good morning!!

:)

I was directed here from another forum .... and I like the way you're set up here much better! But I'm a sucker for graphics.

My husband and I are really excited about buying our first spa. But we are lousy consumers! We've tried to gain some knowledge - but the spa market is quite confusing!  We're both actors - so we really can't go crazy and buy the Mercedes of all Spas. But we do want to make a smart purchase.

So anyone who can comment on my questions -- jump in please!

1.  Like I said, we are easily influenced by bells and whistles so we thought the Bullfrog was fun and interesting. But I hear a lot of neagtive talk about this brand. Can you tell me what the specific issues with this brand are? What are its drawbacks and problems?

2.  What is the best round spa for 5-6 people?

3.  Does anyone have suggestions or knowledge of good dealers here in Minnesota?

4.  Are there brands we should avoid because of our FREEZING COLD winters? (We're planning on installing our spa in a new 3-season porch ... but there are still dreadful windchills here.)

Nice to meet you all ... and thanks in advance for any info you wanna pass along.

Red

1) I'm not completely sold on the Bullfrog idea but I'm not sure anyone is saying they are to be avoided. Check them out as well as others who may be in your area.

2) Are you sure you want a round spa. I know mnay like teh look but ergonomically, that is not the best weay to go which is why there are very few mid sizes round spas let alone the few that seat 5 to 6.

3) There are many manufacturers out there but here's a list I found on another post of many of the larger makers out there (sure, there are others as well) and they each seem to have good reputations. I'd check out the dealer locators on their websites to see if they have someone nearby:

http://www.arcticspas.com
http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html
http://www.colemanspas.com/content/show/home/
http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp
http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html
http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/
http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp
http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php

4) Visit your local dealers, ask how long they've been around, how long they've carried the product, wet test, etc. All the above should be able to handle those mild Minnesta winters. ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:35:29 pm »
Welcome Redwright,

I am absolutely not wise, but that has never stopped me in the past from offering my opinion.

Why "round"?   As mentioned, they're not as popular as they once were.    I know that Nordic still makes some round tubs. Nordic is considered to be a lower end/entry level spa, but for the money,  you could do worse. However, I would shop around first.  (I had older used nordic and the insulation was non existent, and wouoldn't recomend them for cold weather).

IF you are open to other tubs that aren't round, you'll find many decent brands to choose from.  do you have a price?  I currently own a Tiger River hot tub, and although not round, it's a great unit, and a bit more affordable than some of the other tubs.   :)
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »
An actor???

"Alas, poor Yorkie, I knew him well."  I always wanted to be a Shakyspearin actor but couldn't master the accent nor discontinue the use of the word "tain't" during my soliloquy.  Welcome to the forum!

This is the nicest round spa I have ever seen:

I tain't seemingly able to recall the brand, but it 'tis mighty loverly to beholden.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

redwright

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:43:26 pm »
*laughing* I ASSUME that's a Hot Springs (see I'm smart enough to look at people's tags!) I'll check in with our dealer here. Although I'm bettin' it is out of my price range! We're trying to stay around 6K. Although that may be tough.

I'm also looking into the Marquis 520ML and the Dimensions Arena (thank you, Stuart.) Both of those dealers have been around a while too! (She can learn!)

Thank you for all the feedback.

Yes, we are both actors. And I'm actually DOING some of that Shakespeare next October (the SCOTTISH play) if anyone is in the neighborhood.

Red

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:54:24 pm »
*laughing* I ASSUME that's a Hot Springs (see I'm smart enough to look at people's tags!)

I come to bury the competition, not to praise them!  Forsooth, the aforementioned vessel wouldst not make the grade as a HotSpring Spa due to the nefarious placement of vile and deceitful bypass valves throughout thine footwell!  And wherefore art the drain, my love?  'Tis not in thine bottom where it shouldst dwell.  Far be it for me to endorse such a travesty.

Farewell, farewell, parting is such sweet sorrow....

Terminatorpus Rex
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:55:46 pm by East_TX_Spa »

shortspark

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 01:00:03 pm »

I come to bury the competition, not to praise them!  Forsooth, the aforementioned vessel wouldst not make the grade as a HotSpring Spa due to the nefarious placement of vile and deceitful bypass valves throughout thine footwell!  And wherefore art the drain, my love?  'Tis not in thine bottom where it shouldst dwell.  Far be it for me to endorse such a travesty.

Farewell, farewell, parting is such sweet sorrow....

Terminatorpus Rex

Hey Term, I'll be in Longview tomorrow and might stop by.  Will you be in?

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:00:08 pm »
There's a lot of HotSpring people around here, but go talk to some dealers. See if they have a fat book of thank you notes and "I love you's" from present owners. Start with their website first. The dealer makes the spa. I just opened a new store in an area next to me where the EX-HS dealer had been porking its customers for the last 8 years....so the dealer makes the difference, they make a spa easy to use. Or you end up finding a nice forum like this where everyone will help make the spa fun and easy to use.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:05:03 pm »

Hey Term, I'll be in Longview tomorrow and might stop by.  Will you be in?

'Tis but a song upon the wind as to where I may alight.  My soul in all it's frailty leads me to other shores, but for you, my undying love will restrain my flight from this prison and I shall await your arrival with a warm heart and cold beer.

Yep, I'll be here. :)

Termeo

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
Alot of people on this forum will tell you to buy this or that, and generally they are looking out for your best interest and steering you to good, well known brands (hotsprings, arctic, D-1, jacuzzi, etc.), and these good, well known brands are great tubs but are usually on the higher priced side.  

I think there are smaller companies who are overlooked but still make great tubs at great prices.  Look into Viking Spas, they are in Grand Rapids Michigan, your neck of the woods.  We have one here in PA that I feel is well built, has enough bells and whistles, and even though it's their top of the line model it is probably well within your price range.  Mine is not round, but they have several round models well below $5K, maybe below $3K.  

After buying mine last summer and then listening to endless conversation on here about how "off-brand" tubs will cost you more due to poor insulation I was scared to open my last electric bill.  Through the last "month" in PA we were below freezing average temperature for 35 consecutive days, many days only single digits, and my electric bill was only up like $50 over normal, I was jumping for joy.

I think my tub was a steal, well-known brands with the features I got would have cost me nearly double what I paid.  I don't deny that the commonly recommended tubs are great tubs, but don't automatically discount the "off-brands" such as Viking or Bullfrog or whatever.

redwright

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 01:11:49 pm »
Dear Gawd ... I've opened a can o' shakespearian worms!   ;D

HTPB, I hear what you're saying about the dealer -- and I will definitely bear that in mind as we begin this journey.

And NittanyLion, I'm not discounting that Bullfrog until someone gives me a sturdy reason not to continue to keep it on the list! We did look at Viking and CalSpa already. But both dealers turned us off REAL fast.

Thanks!  What fun.

Red

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:07 pm »
I would have several concerns over Bullfrog but the biggest on in your area would be that in order for that system to work you have a "trunk line" feeding the jetpacks along the top of the shell where the shell tapers into the cabinet. This line is more likely to fail than any other part of the spa due to the fact that it has movable unions at several points. The problem here is that it has less insulation and is harder to get to than any other piece of plumbing in the spa.

My estimate is that you won't see a failure in that hose until the month after the warranty runs out! ;)

You also won't get nearly the performance overall in that system as you will most other systems due to the fact that you need to share several manifold processes in the same line.

I'm also intrigued by that round spa Term...What brand is it?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 02:28:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42