What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Maxxus starts by itself, turns lights on  (Read 5166 times)

ctkathy

Sundance Maxxus starts by itself, turns lights on
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:50:04 am »
This is not the first time we have had this problem, but a chip was replaced in the remote last fall when it first happened and it seems like it has been ok since then.  Tech had no idea what the problem could be but they thought it might be something in the remote.  

Spa is only about 6 months old, at the most.

Now the spa turns the pumps on by itself and also the lights.  I can turn the lights off by using the other control panel, but even if I pull the GFCI and reinsert it after a few minutes the pump will continue running.  Pushing the buttons on the control panel does nothing.

Last night we were in the tub and it continually turned itself on and off, sometimes for just a couple of seconds.   The lights also went on and off continually.

A call was made to the service outfit who cannot get to me until March 2.  The call was made several days ago.  The dealer has been called and hoped to be able to get them out sooner but the best they can do is come out tomorrow and turn off the pumps.  

Won't I be left with a disgusting mess of water if the pumps are turned off on Monday and the service tech cannot come until Friday? It has been too cold here to drain the tub.  My husband is concerned about our electric bill (very high here in CT) when the pumps run all the time, or whenever they feel like running.

Has anyone ever had this type of problem before?  Doesn't it seem like the problem is in the control panel if I can turn the lights on at the other control?  

What would you ask the tech/dealer to do for you in this instance?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Maxxus starts by itself, turns lights on
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:50:04 am »

galen

• Maxxus
Re: Sundance Maxxus starts by itself, turns lights
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:04:34 am »
Don't be concerned. Just do this: Shock the tub and let the pumps run for 30 minutes. That will cover all water in the lines and pumps. Then pull the plug and close the cover and forget about it until the service people get there. The water will be OK. If you see it will be below freezing then plug it back in. If its above freezing then just let it set.

ctkathy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:31:52 am »
Hi.  Thanks for the reply.

Regular shock or enhanced shock?  Would you use more than usual--say 1/2 cup?

Have you ever heard of a tub starting by itself?  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:57:19 am »
Something similar to this happened to me last summer.  The pumps were possessed and would turn on and off by themselves.  The tech knew exactly what the problem was when I described the situation...a bad auxiliary topside control.  Replaced same and all is well.  Apparently, if moisture gets to the inside of the control, it malfunctions.

I found after I shut down the spa for a few hours and started it back up, it would sometimes act normal for quite a while.

ctkathy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
Something similar to this happened to me last summer.  The pumps were possessed and would turn on and off by themselves.  The tech knew exactly what the problem was when I described the situation...a bad auxiliary topside control.  Replaced same and all is well.  Apparently, if moisture gets to the inside of the control, it malfunctions.

I found after I shut down the spa for a few hours and started it back up, it would sometimes act normal for quite a while.

Tony, did your lights go on and off and flash, too?  Thanks for the reply.  I feel better that someone had the same problem and with a Sundance spa, too.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 06:04:58 pm »

Tony, did your lights go on and off and flash, too?  Thanks for the reply.  I feel better that someone had the same problem and with a Sundance spa, too.  

No, my lights weren't affected as far as I know.  The Maxxus topsides are a little different than the Optimas because of more pumps, etc and my spa is a bit older even though the electronics have remained pretty consistant.  You may have the led lights which I do not have.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:19:32 pm »
Pull the batteries from the remote.

Maybe the remote is bad again. If it goes away, you can live without the remote.

ctkathy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 08:02:30 pm »
My problem sounds like the one Tony experienced.  I shocked it today and pulled the GFCI and will wait for the repairman.  My big challenge will be chipping away the snow which is covered by ice located on my steps and the control area.  He cannot get to the controls until I can free that area.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 12:01:37 am »
I thought this was a Hot Spring exclusive. :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

ctkathy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:04:29 am »
The pumps have been turned off by the Sundance dealer but the power remains so it doesn't turn into a big ice cube.   I still await the repairman who comes on Friday.  10 days is a long time to wait for a repair like this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:04:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42