What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover seams and heat loss  (Read 4260 times)

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
Cover seams and heat loss
« on: February 09, 2007, 04:25:57 pm »
I saw on another thread that many folks are experiencing the same phenomenon as me with steam escaping on the ends of the seam in the cover.  It's been like zeros to teens here in Pittsburgh recently and when I see the steam I can feel my wallet getting lighter if you know what I mean.  

I always try to shove the two cover halves together to squeeze the gap and limit the heat loss, but it doesn't do a very good job.  I actually tried running a ratcheting tie-down around the perimeter of the cover and snugging down the ratchet to pull the sides together, it seems like its working but its an added pain in the you know what.

Does anyone else have any tricks, and why don't the manufacturers come up with an extra strap at the seams or soemthing to help out us yankees who live in the frozen tundra?

Any thougyhts out there?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover seams and heat loss
« on: February 09, 2007, 04:25:57 pm »

anne

Re: Cover seams and heat loss
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 05:36:10 pm »
My cover has a long piece of foam that runs along that seam, so that when it is closed, there is no gapping, and that foam piece is squished between the two halves of the cover. Could something like this be retrofitted?
Dance like nobody's watching

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:24:28 pm »
The problem with your cover is that there's a rectangular gap between the two halves, and the manufacturer, using the cheapest method possible, fill it with an oval shaped pad.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

glfahlc

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:31 pm »
don't know how well they work but the spa blankets seem to be a good idea to me...someone else will hopefully chime in here...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:23:09 pm »
I have a blanket, a foam one and I do hope it contributes to the efficiency of the cover. My thought's that if the top of the water isn't exposed to the air above the blanket maybe it'll retain heat a little more (thinking convection currents)

I too have steam escaping from the center. Heck I have stalagmites (or is it stalagtite) forming on the deck from the dripping water.

I keep on saying this but when my cover goes, I'll be contacting Doc and getting one of his extreme covers. People here and on his board claim they're really nice. Hopefully no more escaping steam and cave formations on the deck.

xrdirthead

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:45:19 pm »

I too have steam escaping from the center. Heck I have stalagmites (or is it stalagtite) forming on the deck from the dripping water.

You are correct "stalagmites." "stalagtites" hang from the ceiling. Not that anyone cares but that brought back memories from 8th grade science class...thanks Mr Edwards.....

anne

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:51:20 pm »

You are correct "stalagmites." "stalagtites" hang from the ceiling. Not that anyone cares but that brought back memories from 8th grade science class...thanks Mr Edwards.....

I always remember the little mantra "a mite is a mountain" ::)
Dance like nobody's watching

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:07 pm »

And Stalagtites have to hang on tight. :D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:59:45 am »
stalagtites hang tight

stalagmites stand with might
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

glfahlc

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 08:53:06 am »
have we gone from a question about covers to rock formations....duh

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 09:44:37 am »
have we gone from a question about covers to rock formations....duh
Have we gone from a question about covers to rock formations and then to posting useless comments......duh

loosenupspas

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:30:45 am »
sunstar makes a nice cover....with a heat sealing gasket across the hinge and on both sides baffles to retain moisture and prevent it from getting all stalagmited on your deck.......

loosenupspas

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 11:33:01 am »
stalagtites hang tight

stalagmites stand with might

this is why he is the doctor......i will pass this along to my son studying geology

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 12:11:31 am »
It's such a burden knowing everything. I guess it's a blessing, and a curse.

It's stalactites and stalagmites.

Stalac and Stalag

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:35 am »
It's such a burden knowing everything. I guess it's a blessing, and a curse.

It's stalactites and stalagmites.

Stalac and Stalag

8-)

Hey, I didn't even know which one I had ... I've never been into Geology. Now the Therory of Relativity is cool!!! 8-)

But not to worry ... with global warming we won't have to worry about ice in a few short years! :( :'(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42