What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Custom cover?  (Read 3510 times)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Custom cover?
« on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:37 am »
Is it possible to get a bifold cover for a standard 8 foot square spa? If so is there a cover lifter that would work with it? Spa has a standard single hinge cover now but because of clearance above the spa it would be helpful to have something that doesn't need as much clearance.

I know one could get a shelf to slide the cover onto but just flipping one half up is what is getting in the way as it goes nearly to the ceiling above and limits a ceiling fan and possibly even a light over the spa where wiring has already been installed.

I have also seen roll up covers on Doc's site and that might be an option.
http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/roll_covers.htm

Do they insulate and last as long as a regular cover?

Any other options to reduce the clearance needed above the spa?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:25:57 am by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

Custom cover?
« on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:37 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Custom cover?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:11:33 am »

Do they insulate and last as long as a regular cover?
I think this is Doc's site as well.
http://www.hot-tub-spa-covers.com/

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:32:51 am »
Depending on the amount of room you have behind or around your tub, different cover lifters hold the cover higher or lower. the ones that hold it lower need more room on the side of the tub.

The other option is no cover lifter and slide the cover to the side of the tub. I have a friend that wrestles with her cover this way.

I personally wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a custom cover as the question is - how long will it last? I originally thought the covers lasted as long as the spa but unfortunately they don't and the quality question is always there. Spending $350 for one of Doc's cover is a good purchase and if it lasts 6-8 years or more, great. But what happens if you paid $500 for a cover and it last for only 3 ... I would be pretty upset. Of course I'm talking from the perspective that I don't have the money to buy expensive items on a regular basis.

I think the best way is to come up with an alternative plan for removing your cover.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:42:54 am »

"Do they insulate as long as a regular cover?"

no

"Do they last as long as a regular cover?"

no, they last 3 to 4 times longer  ;)

"Is it possible to get a bifold cover for a standard 8 foot square spa?"

Yes, but you're probably looking at a 30% upcharge.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

loosenupspas

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:11:10 am »
A square cover could be lifted off from front to back or side to side, this might help when positioning your hot tub.  Usually, covers larger than 92" cost slightly more, so clarify that detail once you settle on a new cover.  But covers come in a range, a wide range at that, of qualities.  If a cover seems cheaper make certain that quality hasn't been sacrificed.  With a 8 foot cover, it will weigh a lot and require a cover lifter.  A Leisure Concepts 3 under-style is a good solution because it doesn't require the lift be screwed into your cabinet.  With a cover that size make sure that the hinge is reinforced be a ridgid galvanized beam.  Not all beams are the same.  Sunstar makes a great cover.  However, here in Florida there are dozens of cover makers so be careful and research it.  

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:35:15 am »
Thanks for the ideas! I will pass these along to my friend to see what he might prefer. There is little chance that any kind of standard single hinge cover is going to work with any kind of lifter where the tub is currently positioned and they have no desire to move it. But a shelf to slide the cover onto and then flip up or a roll up cover might work.

I also remember the nice looking but extremely expensive powered roll up cover that would roll up into a bar that was mentioned here. Can anyone remember the link to it?

Would a custom made bifold cover work with some kind of lifter?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:35:39 am by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:35:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42