What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Programmed Filter Cycles - Best Option?  (Read 10316 times)

Sudzz

Programmed Filter Cycles - Best Option?
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:56 pm »
On my Nordic Crown XL there's no circ. pump.  The spa comes pre-programmed with two, 4-hour cleaning cycles every 12 hours for a total of 8 hours a day.  That seems to be a little excessive to me.  I know I can change it if I want to but I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone.  The water has been very clean since I filled it about a month ago.  The pump runs on low speed during these cycles.  Ozonator runs as well.

Could I cut that back a little a save a little on electricity or just leave it alone?
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

Hot Tub Forum

Programmed Filter Cycles - Best Option?
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:56 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Programmed Filter Cycles - Best Option?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:32:14 pm »
On my Nordic Crown XL there's no circ. pump.  The spa comes pre-programmed with two, 4-hour cleaning cycles every 12 hours for a total of 8 hours a day.  That seems to be a little excessive to me.  I know I can change it if I want to but I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone.  The water has been very clean since I filled it about a month ago.  The pump runs on low speed during these cycles.  Ozonator runs as well.

Could I cut that back a little a save a little on electricity or just leave it alone?

Well it all depends ... but I always tell people that they can try reducing it to 4 hrs per day (aka two 2-hr cycles) and just montior it to be sure that is enough (and you really need to stay on top of your chems).

It'll probbly be fine (depending on use) but if that seems too little just raise it to 6 hrs total per day (I doubt you'd need more than that).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

neocacher

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:54:35 pm »
I have cut mine way back to about 30 minutes 2 times a day. That is because the heater and pump comes on anyways in my 115V Caldera, plus i soak 2 times a day.

So the answer would really depend on how much you use it, and if it comes on ANYWAYS during heating cycles.

Neo

Sudzz

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »
The pump does come on to heat, especially on these cold New England days.  I guess I could probably cut the filter cycles back in the Winter and increase them in the Summer.  Makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:33:10 pm by Sudzz »
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:36:13 pm »
I have sold a few brands which had filter cycles. I found that running the minimum amount of time which yeild clear water seems to be the best route.

Also, running the filter each time you get out of the tub seems to have a big impact on this. If your spa has either an automated filter cycle after use, or a manual timer, run the filter cycle after each use. That will allow you to have a nice clean clear spa with less daily filter running.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »

Absolutely IMO.
My tub also came thru with pre programed cleaning cycles. I believe they were set to run for 8 hrs twice a day. It only took my first electric bill to turn them down and save a considerable amount of money and still retain clean water. As said I believe it helps to run them right after getting out. I now have mine set to run for 1 hr twice a day with no problems with the water quality.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42