What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shock then balance?  (Read 3115 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
Shock then balance?
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:32 am »
Just did my first shock yesterday with MPS.  My PH went down, which I now know is expected for MPS...also my Alkalinity went down.  Do you balance after shocking?
So once per week.
Shock, test/adjust TA, test/adjust calcium, test/adjust PH?  In that order?

My TA seems to always be OK or low and my PH high...

Thanks!
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

Shock then balance?
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:32 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Shock then balance?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:55:14 am »
from what I remember, it's TA first.....which will keep the pH (next in line for balancing) from bouncing around once it's where you want it....after that, I don't recall order, but TA and pH are definitely top 2.
RIP C-Rod

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:26:09 am »
Shock after balancing. Always attempt to balance once your sanitizer levels are back down into normal range. High sanitizer levels can bleach readings and distort them. Oh...and balance alk prior to pH as TL suggested.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:26:38 am by Steve »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:57:01 pm »
Shock with buffered MPS for spas and you should not eat up your TA. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

nlittle

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:07:26 pm »
Shock with buffered MPS for spas and you should not eat up your TA. ;)

I have the "fresh water" stuff that came with my HS tub.  You can actually buy "buffered" MPS...will it be obvious to me on the label?   :-/

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:11:10 pm »

I have the "fresh water" stuff that came with my HS tub.  You can actually buy "buffered" MPS...will it be obvious to me on the label?   :-/

I use Renew from Leisure Time as my mps. It's buffered and works very well. :D

Reese

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:10 pm »
...Shock, test/adjust TA, test/adjust calcium, test/adjust PH?  In that order?  My TA seems to always be OK or low and my PH high...
Wait a few hours between TA and pH adjustments.  Also be aware that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, TA increaser) also raises pH.  If your pH normally runs high, I wouldn't worry about TA, just focus on getting pH in range.  I only adjust TA if the pH starts to bounce around.

nlittle

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:42:13 pm »
oh ok...didn't know that you had to wait and the bounce around thing is a good point.
I just want to get the things in range....being new I am probably a little more conscious about it...or maybe just picky...

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:46:32 pm »
being new I am probably a little more conscious about it...or maybe just picky...
There's nothing wrong w/ wanting your water perfect. I keep mine that way and have since my initial fill 12 weeks ago. Some of us are just a little more particular than others.
One thing I will say though is once you get them in range try to only test them once a week to avoid micromanaging.

Reese

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:13 pm »
oh ok...didn't know that you had to wait and the bounce around thing is a good point.  I just want to get the things in range....being new I am probably a little more conscious about it...or maybe just picky...
The reason for waiting is to give the acid and carbonates time to interact.  Otherwise, you get false readings, and end up adding chems you don't need.  As far as being picky, IMO there is nothing wrong with that -- as long as it doesn't lead to stressing about it, or over-treating the tub.  IMO, sanitation and pH are the two most important things to get right.  The rest seems to fall in place with a little fine-tuning once you figure out how to get those values where you want them.

nlittle

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 05:03:57 pm »
Im definitely trying not to micromanage but yesterday was my first week of ownership so I wanted to do all the once a week stuff correctly.  I use test strips right now but just ordered a k-2005 so I think having that accuracy will help.  I hate the little strips...swirl them 3 times, don't shake them, read immediately...  but then immediately after the color is a little different!
I think I used about half of them the first day and then didn't care anymore!   :P

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:12:36 pm »
Im definitely trying not to micromanage but yesterday was my first week of ownership so I wanted to do all the once a week stuff correctly.  I use test strips right now but just ordered a k-2005 so I think having that accuracy will help.  I hate the little strips...swirl them 3 times, don't shake them, read immediately...  but then immediately after the color is a little different!
I think I used about half of them the first day and then didn't care anymore!   :P
I did the same thing. :D  I went through a 50 ct in 4 days. I felt so uncomfortable w/ their readings that I took some much apreciated advice from Vinny and got myself a k-2005. Since then it's been smooth sailing. You will be amazed at how much more accurate the Taylor is then strips when used properly. The only thing that was consistent between the two was the FC readings. All others were way off. :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:12:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42