What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need some privacy...  (Read 23121 times)

Styx555

Need some privacy...
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:55:54 am »
Our yard backs onto a field and thus we get little privacy when in the tub. Aside from putting up bushes or shrubs, anyone have ideas on how to enhance our privacy. Things I'm considering include fencing, privacy gates (that don't blow down) or a gazebo. Any ideas, pictures would be welcome.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Need some privacy...
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:55:54 am »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Need some privacy...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:08:27 am »
I am putting up panes of tinted glass that I can open when privacy is not needed. But the project is still in development stage and I probably will not have it completed until spring.

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:18:37 am »
Our tub is in plain view from the street.  We put up a bamboo fence with just 2x2's.  Its not meant to be permanent and we will probably eventually replace it with white vinyl fencing when replace the fence on that side of the house.  But for now it works and it cost about $30.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:19:40 am »
Latley I've been seeing a lot of open pergola's that have curtains on them.  

Something like this, but with a less translucent material for the curtain;

This would allow you to have privacy when you needed/wanted it, as well as keep it open if prefered.  When you're done, tie back the curtain panels and you shouldn't have a wind damage problem.
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:23:49 am »
Drews post reminded me of my favorite pergola I found when I first got my tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:55:36 am »
You could create a very simple version of these pergolas with four posts and four top rails. Corner bracing and detailing could be added to enhace the look of the thing, but once the basic frame is in place, a roll-up screen on the appropriate side would do the trick. If you want to leave the shade in place, you could fasten it in place all the way around, perhaps even put a 2x2 brace across the middle.

I have built a few of them, but I have no photos! Some of the simplest ones had 6' posts set in concrete. The posts ended up with only four feet above the ground or slab. Then by using 2x6 and 2x8 lumber to 'box' the posts, they were run up to whatever height I needed. This also gave the look of a larger post, which greatly enhances the look. Then the top rails can be simple 2x8, 2x10 or what have you. They can be boxed to match the posts, but simply putting two - one on the inside of the posts and one on the outside with a few inches of space between them - fools the eye and makes a little lumber look like large (expensive) timbers.

Here is a real fancy version from - of all places - Readers Digest, in which they have gone to the extra expense of using columns and putting on a rather ornate roof treatment. Keep in mind that if your goal is pricacy, you really only need the posts and a simple perimeter. Keep the top open. Instead of the columns - quoted at $200 each - you could use the same 4x4 posts but box them as I mentioned above.

I have built these with three posts and two top rails, or four posts with only three top rails leaving one side open. It doesn't look like a patio cover, really, but if you do it right it also doesn't look out of place. In fact it sort of 'frames' the tub, without drawing attention to itself. However, you can add some lighting for a touch of sparkle when you're not in the tub, and they make a great place to mount outdoor speakers...

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=17835
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »
and another style....

I swiped this from the Caldera web site:

07 Caldera Geneva

gcbrowni

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:46:14 pm »
My neighbors live right on top of my tub. I put up a ceder pergola for about $600. It took about 5 hours with 2 people. I have some sun shades on right now, but I'll be moving to some more opaque shade soon.

Actually, I may go to the drapes. I really like the look of those. Outdoor fabric?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:51:36 pm »

...Actually, I may go to the drapes. I really like the look of those. Outdoor fabric?

I love the internet.

http://outdoorfabrics.com/
07 Caldera Geneva

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »
I suspect if you look you can find fabric like the "sunbrella" material used on outdoor umbrellas that at least in theory should hold up to outdoor usage.

http://www.sunbrella.com/

Don't know if you can buy it in bolts of material but might be possible.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 12:56:42 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 02:11:27 pm »
and another style....

I swiped this from the Caldera web site:

I have one of those on my showroom floor. They are not cheap - they will last forever, of course. "Wood is good but Vinyl is final."

If you get one of these, be sure you anchor it well. They will topple in a stong wind. They come with metal plates to put in the post bottoms - they are hidden from view inside the post. They are built well, and it may not hurt the gazebo to fall over, but whatever it lands on will be a different story.

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 02:31:40 pm »
Hey Chas - I like that - about how much does that retail for and do you know how wide those posts are?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 03:30:32 pm »
I have them priced at $2995 delivered and set up in our local area - but I have sold about none of them.

The posts are about 8 feet apart.

They can be ordered in all white, white and gray, and white and tan.

8-)

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:50 pm »
Chas - what color is the one in your showroom?  I'm just curious how the white and grey combo looks.  I hate buying things sight unseen.  I just called the local HS dealer and they don't have any set up in their showroom.  My husband wants to know what the actual diameter of the posts are, not how far apart they are.....the dealer by me doesn't know.  They just gave me a price of $2900 but I don't know if that includes set up and delivery.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42