What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you pay anything for warranty work?  (Read 12172 times)

xrdirthead

Do you pay anything for warranty work?
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:03:23 pm »
My local HS and Sundance dealer said $25.00 to come out and do warranty work. He said to help offset the price of gas etc...
I live 20 minutes away from the dealer.....
I think that is kind of lame if your spending 10k on a new spa.

Hot Tub Forum

Do you pay anything for warranty work?
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:03:23 pm »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: Do you pay anything for warranty work?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:10:25 pm »
I think a lot of dealers are having to add a travel charge, 20 mins away means a 40 min trip, that's time and gas that they are not being re-imbersed for. We do not charge for local trips right now, but I think that is going to change soon.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:14:39 pm »
That was on reason that I didn't go to the Hot Springs dealer...it may sound like a stupid reason, since $25.00 isn't much (I think the HS dealer told me $35.00), but it was the principle...If the problem was covered under the warranty, and I didn't cause the problem, I shouldn't have to pay for ANY part of the repair.  My Marquis dealer has never charged me a trip charge and has always responded quickly with any issues or concerns that I have had...That's the way it should be ;) Warranty means make it right...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:16:16 pm »
That;s funny that you responded, Guzz, it was someone at your store that told me $35.00! ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:19:41 pm »
My local HS and Sundance dealer said $25.00 to come out and do warranty work. He said to help offset the price of gas etc...
I live 20 minutes away from the dealer.....
I think that is kind of lame if your spending 10k on a new spa.

FWIW, I just had a warranty service call and that same dealer only charged me $15.00 because I requested service on line through their web site.  This was the first time they charged me.  Although I live near the dealer's South Shore Store, all the service comes through their original store in Natick.

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:30:21 pm »
That was on reason that I didn't go to the Hot Springs dealer...it may sound like a stupid reason, since $25.00 isn't much (I think the HS dealer told me $35.00), but it was the principle...If the problem was covered under the warranty, and I didn't cause the problem, I shouldn't have to pay for ANY part of the repair.  My Marquis dealer has never charged me a trip charge and has always responded quickly with any issues or concerns that I have had...That's the way it should be ;) Warranty means make it right...
We do not charge for local delivery, never have, sorry you were mis-informed, but as I said it looks like we are going to change that policy soon.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:10:40 pm »
We don't charge.

We just here the stories from chemical customers about their last 2 of 3 visits at $75.00 to $85.00 for EACH VISIT from other dealers. It does burn people, especially when they're not told upfront.

Buyer beware.  
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:14:03 pm »
Guzz, I specifically asked about warranty service calls, not about delivery.  My concern was based on something I read on this forum. I think if the dealer tells you when you buy the tub...The warranty works like this..parts are covered, labor is covered BUT you will pay a trip charge, then there are no hidden surprises.
 ;).  I think the gas cost increases get extreme and end up incorporating more than just the additional cost of fuel  :(  realistically, it couldn't cost $25.00 to drive 20 minutes to a service
call.
And HotTub Boy, that is why I will drive to my dealer to buy my chemicals..even though I can get them closer to my house and maybe a bit less expensively...I want to support them because they support me!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:16:16 pm by Bonibelle »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 04:30:57 pm »
What is a warranty and what is it there for? Who is it suppose to protect?

Any "trip charge" for warranty work within 30 minutes of the store is crap! If you have to charge $25 to cover the cost, get out of business NOW! You simply can't afford to stay in business as this obviously is a key componant to your bottom line.

I understand that some manufacturers don't pay for travel (some do BTW) but it's simply a cost of doing business. Anyone who does charge this needs to relook at their profit margins and make adjustments if need be. It's a petty way to do business and as we've seen, the comment by consumers (and rightly so) is, "I just paid 10 grand for my spa and now you want to charge me $25? TAKE A HIKE!

Whether it's mentioned upfront or not, it's a weak policy...

My suggestion to any dealer considering this is that they need to get creative and find ways to drive more traffic, sell more spas, sell more chemicals and excessories and cut costs elsewhere. It shouldn't be hard to find that $25 every once in a while somewhere else to help sustain your business... ::)

Steve
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:36:11 pm by Steve »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
My local SD charges a trip fee for warranty service. The HS dealer doesn't charge anything. It's a good thing to know up front before you buy. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem paying $25 if it was explained up front.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:47 pm »
Well what if it were Sears? What if you bought a new dishwasher and it stopped working while it was under warranty...AND Sears warranty didn't say a thing about a trip charge?...would you smile and say OK, I'll pay $25.00?  To be honest, I would say incorporate a bit more cost into the tub (it shouldn't be too tough to figure out the projected warranty issues based on past performance)...the customer wouldn't really know and since warranty is part of the total package, incorporating the actual dealer part of the service into the price would be fair...Steve is right ;)..dealers who add this trip charge thing for warranty work (without telling the customer before they purchase) need to get creative!

landscaper

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:01:35 pm »
We normally don't charge for trip charges if we sold the tub. I have sold some that were greater than the 60 mile radius we typically serve and they were informed of a trip charge for warranty work plus delivery cost. No problem, when disclosed up front. All understood and agreed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:02:16 pm by landscaper »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:25:04 pm »
I am told that travel fees are not unique to the hot tub industry.

Warranties clearly state parts and labor are covered and dealer may charge a travel fee.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Han Solo

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:41:04 pm »
I had warranty work done at my home and they didn't charge me anything. But, I bought a Sundance spa.   :)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:47 pm »
So the wise buyer should make a point to ask... ;)

I posted a while ago about being angry over a trip charge for my plumber.  I was mad because blaiming it on increased gas costs..was crazy since I could have driven to North Carolina for the trip charges...BUT this wasn't warranty work... ;)

I think what rattles me is that we, as consumers, take the brunt of ALL of the fuel increases...It costs more to drive,  food and virtually everything cost more because of the fuel costs. ..and service companies can also ask us to absorb their increases...so we get it all..I think we should get a tax break...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42