What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recommendations for DIY stereo systems  (Read 13804 times)

Larry Becker

I think it really depends on the application...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:11 pm »
I think I qualify pretty well as a "pseudo audiophile" (I think I like that!), but (despite my wife's opinion) I try not to go overboard on it. Sure, in my home theater/main music listening space, I have the best I could afford, all carefully purchased as floor models at the dearly departed Good Guys store out here -- at HUGE discount, I might add... (something like 60% off of list).

But when I went shopping for a new clock radio/ cd player for my bedroom, I went with a Boston Acoustic CD/clock radio model. It uses some similar acoustic tricks that Bose does, and has some electronic gadgetry to boost the bass performance, but I really like it! Don't need surround sound to wake up to.

Not sure I need it in my spa, either. HOWEVER, I did hear some Sundance spa speakers that really sounded nice.

D1 has, I guess, a nice speaker/transducer system that somehow picks up audio from your main stereo. It's about a grand for just the speaker/wireless music receiver system. It wasn't on my floor model spa (yes, that's how I often buy stuff) and they said they couldn't retrofit. I don't believe I've heard a D1 spa sound system.

SO... to beat the last bit of life out of this already dead horse, for the spa sound application, given my close neighbors, I'm not sure I could use it much anyway.

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

Hot Tub Forum

I think it really depends on the application...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:11 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Recommendations for DIY stereo systems
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 02:21:34 pm »
The Boston Acoustic radio is the same price as the wave.  But folks wont bash that.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:23:04 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Larry Becker

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 02:35:02 pm »
The Boston Acoustic radio is the same price as the wave.  But folks wont bash that.  ;)

That's kind of my point... they're basically the same thing -- small boxes using acoustic "tricks" to create a big, sound -- and sometimes that's ok, or even preferred!  

I also considered the $599 Polk Audio I-Sonic dvd/cd/HD radio/XM satellite redio device... but I just wanted a nice clock radio with cd player, so and even the $425 I spent on the Boston Acoustic unit (yes, I'm a good haggler) seemed over the top.

More on topic... I need to figure out what kind of receiver or maybe amplified cd player to use that can be controlled by my Dolphin learning remote. Best Buy and Circuit City sometimes have floor models pretty cheap...

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »

That's kind of my point... they're basically the same thing -- small boxes using acoustic "tricks" to create a big, sound -- and sometimes that's ok, or even preferred!  

Larry

Once agian Larry, if i were a nail, you'd be hitting me on the head.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:02:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 02:55:55 pm »

Amen! 8-)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 05:46:18 pm »

More on topic... I need to figure out what kind of receiver or maybe amplified cd player to use that can be controlled by my Dolphin learning remote. Best Buy and Circuit City sometimes have floor models pretty cheap...

Larry
If you get the chance to listen to the wave audio, do so. You will hear crisp clean highs and great low end, Here at our store we offer the Sherwood 4105 a simple 2 channel receiver 100 watts x 2 .....As for the Bose if you like them great but the 251 which I believe are carried at Best Buy A/B them next to the Klipsch or the JBL both are comparably priced and you hear a big difference, the wave audio will perform as good as either but for about 100.oo dollars less. One more thing yes if you like the small footprint than the Bose are fine but in the outdoor line they are of similar size to the others.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »
Vinny, did you inhale?  :)

Yes I did!!! 8-) We all did!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 08:36:54 pm »

I also considered the $599 Polk Audio I-Sonic dvd/cd/HD radio/XM satellite redio device... but I just wanted a nice clock radio with cd player, so and even the $425 I spent on the Boston Acoustic unit (yes, I'm a good haggler) seemed over the top.

Larry

$425 for a freakin clock radio - I thought you were a minister. Where the heck do you get that type of money? Divine intervention?

Larry Becker

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 09:00:07 pm »
"Divine intervention..." Something like that...

"Freaking clock radio..." Have you been talking to my wife?????

No... it is a cd music system that also is a clock radio, and a really nice one.

As far as where I get the money... same as anyone, I guess, but in this case, it was some Christmas money I had received, as well as some additional money I came into... I've been shopping off and on for about 6 months for this, and kind of setting a little money aside from time to time (weddings, etc). I saw this one at a Magnolia store and they knocked $75 off it, so I jumped.  Circuit City stuck to the list $499 price.

I looked at several Sony radios and the typical stuff at Circuit City/Best Buy... ick. I'd rather wait and get something good than impulse buy the first thing I see. I also considered the Bose radio, but this one was better. My last clock radio lasted 25 years. I'm hopeful of at least 10 out of this one. You could buy several crappy radios or whatever and not ever be happy and always have something failing, or you can try to get something of quality and save a little longer for it.  In my experience, the money often works out about the same, but I'm happier with what ever I do end up buying. I really appreciate and use quality stuff -- tools, musical instruments, computers, stereo equipment, spas... whatever. If I'm going to buy something, I won't waste my money on junk, but I will try to get a good deal or something on sale.

See, I mentioned spas in the post so it's on topic...

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:02 pm »
Back to topic...Sundance uses a subwoofer in the equipment compartment.  Has anyone tried that in a DIY application?

gcbrowni

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 09:42:09 am »
I suspect that would take care of the difficulty with lows outside, but I'd be nervous about the rattle: might it shake something loose? My HT sub can rattle my window glass pretty well from 20 feet away.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 09:03:38 pm »
There are outdoor subs available, I am unsure as to how effective they would really be, it depends on what your expectations are.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 09:03:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42