What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaving tub for 30days(winter)chemical procedure?  (Read 2517 times)

teach

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Leaving tub for 30days(winter)chemical procedure?
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:37:34 pm »
I will be going on vacation for about 30 days this winter and will be leaving my hot tub.  I planned on dumping in a cup or so of Dichlor before I leave and just hope that will do the trick untill I get back.  Can't really have anyone check up on the tub or take care of it while I am away. Very rural area. Draining isn't an option.  The tub will filter 2 cycles per day and has a constant circulation pump.  There is also ozone and a silver iodine cartridge in the filter chamber, therefore, I usually just add a small amount of MPS before I soak.   Any opinions on how much or what chemical would be the best to dump in?    Any suggestions on what procedure would be best?  In the past, I did go away once for two weeks and came home to crystal clear water.  Just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for similar results.        
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:39:16 pm by teach »

Hot Tub Forum

Leaving tub for 30days(winter)chemical procedure?
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:37:34 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Leaving tub for 30days(winter)chemical procedu
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
I have been leaving my tub untreated and unused for up to a week and a half (too lazy to go out there in the cold). Then as it would warm up enough for me to want to use the tub, I'd give a high dose of bromine an hour or two prior to using the tub and a normal dose after. Every time I opened the cover after a week and a half, the water was perfectly clear without any foul odors and I have not had any skin problems after the use. However I feel that my ozonator is greatly responsible for this.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:08:52 pm »
Would dropping a bromine floater in the tub be a choice?  I know you would return to a "bromine tub", but that might be better than a badly contaminated tub...Just a thought...maybe T-Lady will chime in, I think she switched to bromine when she was real busy during the summer..and had little time for the tub!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:18:35 pm »
Teach,

You would want to be sure the tub is as clean as possible just before you leave and give it your mega dose of dichlor.

Do an MPS shock and a dichlor shock a few days before. Then hopefully your mega dose will last. I've never left my tub that long so I can't say what to expect when you get back.

That's a long time to leave a dichlor tub without maintenance.

As others have suggested you could switch to bromine. And then switch back to dichlor at your next water change.

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:36:46 pm »
I would just hit it with a shock dose of dichlor and lower the temp a bit before you go.  Even if it clouded up a bit, it would come right back if nobody used it while you were gone.  If you are in freezing temps, I would be more concerned about leaving the spa for that long without someone checking to see if it is still running.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 05:33:14 am »
Yea me to, The water will be fine with a mega dose of dichlor and a bit of maintenance when you get back. I would be more concerned with a freeze problem should there be a power down situation. If your located where it can or will freeze that is.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 05:33:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42