What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Way To Clean A Filter?  (Read 26378 times)

Matt Foley

Best Way To Clean A Filter?
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:57:22 pm »
I didn't think to ask the dealer today what is the best process to clean the filter.

I had no luck with the filter cleaner product (spa foamed up even after extensive rinsing)

Perhaps a soak in bleach followed by a good rinse?

Matt
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Hot Tub Forum

Best Way To Clean A Filter?
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:57:22 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Best Way To Clean A Filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 03:39:05 pm »
 The key to clean filters is breaking down the oils in the fibers,bleach doesnt do much in that regaurd.  

Best route I have used for customers, sell them a second set,then tell them to soak the used ones overnight only dont follow the instructions on the filter cleaner cut the amount in half.   rinse,rinse and rinse again then let them/it dry in the house till needed again.  Then rinse again before placing back in the spa works like a charm.

Seems like a pain but it does work.  I have never found dishwashers do the trick on them to me its a b.s. sales pitch to make it sound easy and sell a spa.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 03:47:12 pm »
I have never found dishwashers do the trick on them to me its a b.s. sales pitch to make it sound easy and sell a spa.
Two sets of filters has been the best way for me, too. Let one soak while the other set is in the tub, doing its job.
But I always use the dishwasher to final rinse my filters after soaking them in solution. I always set my dishwasher on the Pots and Pan setting. And don't forget to not use the drying option or take them out before the dishwasher starts drying them.
Maybe water pressure has to do with how well a dish washer works.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 04:01:41 pm »
 I think a dishwasher would work in that instance also, it would do a nice job rinsing them.  

There are also some cool spinning things out there I think one is called spin n free system??

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:11:39 pm »
What seems to work for me is  having 2 sets of filters and soak 1 set overnight in filter cleaner. I have 2 filters so it takes 2 nights to do

After soaking, rinse well with a hose or hand held shower, fill up a bucket of water and submerge the filter with the hole facing up - lift it quickly to let the water out , submerge it quickly to fill - do this about 5 times, then soak it in the water for about 1/2 hour then rinse again - do this about 3 times.

It took me a while to get here but so far no foam when I put it back into the tub.

I also use my cleaner for about 4 months as others have said that's what they do.

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:32:18 pm »
I can't take credit for this, someone from this site answered when I posted a similar question.

I have two filters that I swap in and out of the tub once a month.  I soak the first one over night in filter cleaner to get rid of all the oils and such.  After 24 hours, I rinse the poop out of it and then soak it again in a 5 ppm dichlor mix for another 24 hours, it seems to clean the filter cleaner off quite well and I have never had a problem with foam due to the filter cleaner.  Works well for me :)
Bullfrog 451

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 09:23:53 pm »
I rinse my Tri-X filters with a garden hose at high pressure. It only takes about five minutes to do all of them. I've never had to use filter cleaner yet. They are as white as Terminators front teeth.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 11:15:26 pm »
I rinse my Tri-X filters with a garden hose at high pressure. It only takes about five minutes to do all of them. I've never had to use filter cleaner yet. They are as white as Terminators front teeth.
You will want to chemically clean them to get the oils out.

Do you rotate them?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 09:41:27 am »
I have a standard/conventional  65 sq foot pleated filter.   I purchased an extra one that I keep clean and rotate it in when it's time to clean the other one.

I have a 5 gallon bucket that I have filled with filter clean and water. I soak the dirty filter in it for about 24 hours and rinse it out very very well in the bath tub using a hand held shower nozzle.  It works well for me.  I also took off the band around the pleats, so that I can seperate them and spray between the pleats better. Once it's clean I let it dry and then I put it away to rotate back into the tub when it's time to clean the other one.

I snap a cover onto the bucket of filter clean and save it to use again. I re-use the filter cleaning solution 4-5 times before I toss it out.  

:)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:42:30 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bama

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 11:12:58 am »
I'm with Gomboman...
It only takes a few minutes.  I spray them off in my laundry sink, then I throw them into the washer with a little bleach.  Then right back in the spa.

I don't have a pleated filter.  My filters (3 small ones) look much like a tube sock that fit over a plastic cylinder.  Easy removal and replace.  Cleaning is easy because there are no pleats or creavices for gunk to hide in.

shortspark

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 12:33:25 pm »

Me too.  I only use a hose at high pressure and never a filter cleaner.  Of course I'm the only one who ever uses the tub so load will have a lot to do with it.  Use two sets while one air dries and then put it up for the next time.  The secret is to do this often (once a month) and if you do, you don't have to fool with cleaners and things unless your tub really gets a lot of use.

loosenupspas

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 12:39:28 pm »
I sell with considerable success, Brilliance for Spas Filter Clearner.  Mild acid bath, never seen it foam up afterwards.  Unicell says to can clean their fliters with TSP.....never done it though....Tom

Matt Foley

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 12:11:55 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will try them all until I find a way to clean the dang thing without foaming up the tub.

Matt
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

macejh

• 2005 Gulf Coast Rotunda
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 10:38:24 pm »
I use the Brilliance 100% bromine system but am going to try TSP to clean my filters.  I have not done so yet, but plan to in the future unless someone here has some reservations about doing so.  A TSP solution has done wonders cleaning walls and other things around the house.  anybody else use TSP?

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 11:40:05 pm »
TSP is in Cascade dishwasher detergent.

I load up the soap dispensers, throw in my 5 Tri-X filters, hit the air dry button, and **poof**  :o  oils are removed from filters.  I use vinegar in the spot remover thingy, so no problems there either.

I have never had a foaming problem with the cascade--they go straight from the washer into the hot tub.

You could make a cascade potion to soak them in!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 11:40:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42