What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can treating a spa be easy?  (Read 10080 times)

TimW

Can treating a spa be easy?
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:43 pm »
I have had my nordic sport for about 5 years and recently had to replace the pump. I was using bacquaspa and got somewhat careless with my PH levels. I am guessing that this is what did it. However, given that bacquaspa voids my warranty, I thought that might have contributed to the problem and decided to switch chemicals. My local shop advised a Nature 2 with dichlor and shock. I have been in a losing battle with my PH over the last two months. I dump in lots of PH decreaser and it keeps bouncing up.

I have been reading this and another forum for the last couple of days and it seems as if you need a knack for chemistry and a lot of time to properly care for a personal spa. I don't want to burn out another pump and I would like to spend as little time taking care of my spa as possible, and I don't mind spending a bit more for chemicals if they are easy and work well.

On another website, a user suggested bleach as dichlor can raise the CYA too much, yet on this forum this has been disputed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have on how to keep spa treatment as simple as possible? I am about to drain the tub and start over.

Hot Tub Forum

Can treating a spa be easy?
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:43 pm »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: Can treating a spa be easy?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:43:32 pm »
re: I am about to drain the tub and start over.

I do that about once a month so i dont
have to fool with it!

These people that seem proud they haven't changed their water
in 9 months or a year....lol......I don't get it!

I wouldn't be proud of that.....lol.....2EachHisOwn!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:49:56 pm »
My local shop advised a Nature 2 with dichlor and shock.

I have been reading this and another forum for the last couple of days and it seems as if you need a knack for chemistry and a lot of time to properly care for a personal spa.

1) I agree with their recommendation.

2) You don't need to be a chemist to get the hang of it. If you're cpable of making a PB&J sandwhich you should be capable of implementing a N2/Chlorine regimine for your water. There certainly may be a little trial & error and a slight learning curve to get things right at first but it's a snap eventually.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:51:52 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:50:07 pm »
The best advice I've taken from the forum:
* Don't overmanage the water
* Remember alk, ph, etc. is a RANGE, don't try to get an exact number
* The cheapest, easiest correction is dump, refill

I think bromine is the flat out easiest, but a dichlor method isn't a whole lot of work either. Both methods require some attention and are discussed in detail throughout the forum. I'll leave the bleach method to the experts here, it was discussed in a recent thread.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:51:15 pm by LtDan »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:01:36 pm »
I have had my nordic sport for about 5 years and recently had to replace the pump. I was using bacquaspa and got somewhat careless with my PH levels. I am guessing that this is what did it. However, given that bacquaspa voids my warranty, I thought that might have contributed to the problem and decided to switch chemicals. My local shop advised a Nature 2 with dichlor and shock. I have been in a losing battle with my PH over the last two months. I dump in lots of PH decreaser and it keeps bouncing up.

I have been reading this and another forum for the last couple of days and it seems as if you need a knack for chemistry and a lot of time to properly care for a personal spa. I don't want to burn out another pump and I would like to spend as little time taking care of my spa as possible, and I don't mind spending a bit more for chemicals if they are easy and work well.

On another website, a user suggested bleach as dichlor can raise the CYA too much, yet on this forum this has been disputed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have on how to keep spa treatment as simple as possible? I am about to drain the tub and start over.

Did you have to replace the pump because seals failed or was it electrical?

TimW

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:58 pm »
The seals failed and rusted the ball bearings!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:22:17 pm »
First, taking care of a spa is not as easy as taking care of a pool IMO but its not too difficult.

Don't use bleach in a spa, use chlorine, specifically dichlor or lithium. We had a discusion here about this a few days ago. Do use bleach in a pool.

Keep PH at the proper range, 7.2 to 7.8, and you should be OK. If you have hard water, you need to do something about it, I don't know what that is though - someone with hard water should be able to help there.

When in doubt - dump the water and start all over again! :D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:20:15 am »
"it seems as if you need a knack for chemistry and a lot of time to properly care for a personal spa."

Absolutey not.  

Switch to a dichlor program.
07 Caldera Geneva

TimW

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:37:23 am »
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

A few folks have suggested a dichlor program which was exactly what the dealer recommended (although he suggested to do it with Nature 2). Although I was a bit concerned when the dealer told me to not worry about measuring the chlorine levels. He was also pretty vague on how much dichlor and oxidizing shock to use. Would you kind folks be willing to tell me exactly what you do that will make balancing the PH fairly easy, as this has been my greatest problem. If you could also include the size of your tub, that would be great.

Thanks!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 10:46:11 am »
Tim, if you've used a LOT of chemicals already to get the pH into range, my thoughts are dump and refill, and get the TA in range, first...from what I recall reading here, if your TA is in range, it'll keep the pH from bouncing around. TA, then pH.....
Hope I'm not full of it, and good luck!   ;) :D
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:57:46 am »
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

A few folks have suggested a dichlor program which was exactly what the dealer recommended (although he suggested to do it with Nature 2). Although I was a bit concerned when the dealer told me to not worry about measuring the chlorine levels. He was also pretty vague on how much dichlor and oxidizing shock to use. Would you kind folks be willing to tell me exactly what you do that will make balancing the PH fairly easy, as this has been my greatest problem. If you could also include the size of your tub, that would be great.

Thanks!

To use Dichlor in a tub that was previously on a Baqua regeme,    I think you wil have to  do a water change first. (?)
Here's what I do.  I have a 350 gallon tub with a CD ozinator running 24/7.

1)   After using the spa, add aprx 1/2 teaspoons of dichlor to the water, per bather and run the jets for ten minutes.   Test the water, you want to ensure your chlorine (dichlor) levels reach 5 ppm, no more.  You may have to add a bit more, or a bit less, but once you figure out the correct amount for you tub, you'll be fine and wont need to constantly check your levels.

2) about once a week or every 12 soaks,  shock the tub either with dichlor, or with MPS (I use the brand name "Renew" for MPS, and "Spa 56" for Dichlor) .  I follow the directions on the back of the bottle fpr adding the correct amout to shock.

3) I check and adjust for PH, Alk, and CA about once a week.

That's it.

Some folks find that they need to add dichlor to the tub every few days even if they don't use it to keep the water clear.  My own experience for me, is it's not necessary.  YMMV.  To be safe about once a week if I use the tub or not, I'll get the dichlor levels up to 5ppm. I've gone as long as 10 days with out adding anything to the tub and have been fine,  other folks say to get the chlorine/dichlor levels up to 5 ppm every other day weather you use it or not. Eh. as I said YMMV.

The bottom line with dichlor is to get the chlorine levels to 5 pmm after using the tub.  This is enough to sanitize the water, but since dichlor disapates quickly, in a few hours, the chlorine levels will be very low, ( 1ppm or less allowing you to soak in a tub with very little harsh chemicles.

It's that easy.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:02:09 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:58:45 am »
What does a dump and refill cost you??  $15 in water and electric to warm the water back up.  I have not been out of whack yet, but $15 does not buy a lot of chemicals in spa land.  Plus, new water feels so darn good.

The other alternative to making soup is to get a spa dude to show up once every 2 weeks to hook you up.  Then you just have to drop a teaspoon of Diclor in after every soak.

I do N2 and DiClor (1 Teaspoon after every soak), and 1 tbls or diclor and 2 tbls of renew every weekend.  Nothing but smooth sailing.  Dump the water when it seems to need it (I have owned since May and I have dumped once in September, may do it this weekend even though it does not really need it).

KISS is the key.  Keep it simple spa-enjoyer.  The less you put in, the better!!

Reese

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:16:31 am »
...Here's what I do.  I have a 350 gallon tub with a CD ozinator running 24/7.
1)   After using the spa, add aprx 1/2 teaspoons of dichlor to the water, per bather and run the jets for ten minutes.   Test the water, you want to ensure your chlorine (dichlor) levels reach 5 ppm, no more....
You may want to check your test strips, or your measuring spoon. :)  If my math is correct: assuming you are starting near 0ppm chlorine after a soak, you would need slightly less than a Tablespoon to get to 5 ppm.  1/2 teaspoon would equal about 1ppm in your tub. :-?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:20:03 am by Reese »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 11:22:53 am »
You may want to check your test strips, or your measuring spoon. :)  If my math is correct: assuming you are starting near 0ppm chlorine after a soak, you would need slightly less than a Tablespoon to get to 5 ppm.  1/2 teaspoon would equal about 1ppm in your tub. :-?

No way.

2 years no problems.  ;)

I have to say, if i added a tablespoon (3 tespoons) my chlrone would be 10ppm.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:24:35 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 11:33:51 am »
No way.  2 years no problems.  ;)  I have to say, if i added a tablespoon (3 tespoons) my chlrone would be 10ppm.
I didn't use a calculator, but do the math.  I'm not saying you need to change what is working for you, but I don't think you are getting your tub to 5ppm with the doses you are talking about.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 11:33:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42