What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recommendations please:  round tub?  (Read 8673 times)

longshot

Recommendations please:  round tub?
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:56:30 am »
After searching the forum for threads on this topic, I guess I feel the need to ask it one more time.  We're looking for a tub that will be primarily used by one-two of us at a time.  Occassionally we may want to fit another couple in, but mostly it will be one or two of us.  Priorities include at least one (preferably two) foot jets; a cooldown seat, and at least one seat that will provide some neck jets.  

We've looked at offerings from Jacuzzi, Nordic, and Sundance (Denali), in both 6'6" and 7' diameter.  My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience with a 6'6" round tub, as far as putting four people in it? I don't want it to be cramped, even if they are my friends ;-)

2. Are there any other brands we should take a look at?  My local dealer is telling me they are out of Nordics, which is the one I'm currently leaning toward, and they won't have another shipment until March/April (I was kinda hoping to enjoy it through the winter).

We'll bite the bullet and forego tubbing until April if Nordic is the way to go - but before we commit to that, I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing any options we hadn't looked at yet.

Thanks for any input - and happy new year, all!
-Tom

Hot Tub Forum

Recommendations please:  round tub?
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:56:30 am »

loosenupspas

Re: Recommendations please:  round tub?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
California Cooperage 103 is a nice round design.  Metal frame, abs pan.....waterfall.....many neice features.  Find them at a
Coleman Dealer......good choice

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:06:44 pm »
I think in any round spa you are going to be cramped with 4 people as there is just not enough room even if it is 7’ foot.  I don’t think that extra 6 inches is going to do much.  I have sat in round spas and I think they are cramped with only me in the spa.

You are generally looking at decent brands.  I would also look at the Solana RX as it will be less expensive than all three mentioned, generally the same size, and of decent quality.   It is from the makers of Hotspring.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 12:13:48 pm »
I had a 1999 Nordic round  tub. I'm not sure of the size, but it was less than 6', probably more like 5' or less.

It was all open seating and since the seats were not angled back, 4 adults could sit in it and socialize.  2 adults could relax and put their feet out on the seats across from them.

I would consider:  Seating: I've seen some round tubs that have scultped, molded seats. This can greatly impact how comfortable or not, you are. The other consideration is how tall are you? Me, my wife and our close friends are all under 5'8". For you, it could be very different.  

So,  how do you tell? Wet test.  :D  Hell, bring your friends along and have them sit in it too.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 12:16:10 pm »
People buy round tubs because they like the look but their design is limiting if you're going to have 4 people in it. The corner seats in a rectangular spa give you much better seating that a round spa can provide.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 12:19:19 pm »
x2 for the Cal coop 103!

Also a different twist of a round tub check out a SOFTTUB 300 series. This is a cool little tub priced nicely but runs on 110v. Just a another thought.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 01:08:17 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with a 6'6" round tub, as far as putting four people in it? I don't want it to be cramped, even if they are my friends ;-)

Tom

I personally have no experience with Nordic spas or round tubs for that matter. However, if you go to rhtubs.com and browse the review section, you'll find 4 people's comments on their own Nordic Crowns. Here is a pic of the Crown 2.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:14:47 pm by WHY_NOT »

gcbrowni

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 01:34:55 pm »
The Great Lakes Sunlighter is round also. It seems like a sturdy basic unit, much likes the Nordics, but it has sculpted seats.

My reasoning was much the same as the OP's: 2 people, with an additional couple sometimes.

Disclaimer: I bought one 4 days ago.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:35:50 pm by gcbrowni »

RobRoy

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 01:48:40 pm »
Check out Softub. Plugs into a 110v outlet. Empty it weighs 65 lbs.

A great 4 person hot tub.

longshot

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 02:32:41 pm »
This is great input - thanks, all!  Especially helpful were the reviews on rhtub.com - hadn't seen those before - great to read first-hand reviews like that.  

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 02:50:39 pm »
Your welcome for the link longshot but the real thank you should go out to Dr. Spa(long time member of this forum). Afterall, it is his website. :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 02:51:32 pm by WHY_NOT »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 01:38:09 pm »
 I think the downfall with round spas is not the overall size of the spa but the lack of footroom,it gets cozy really fast but if you like playing footsie its fine.

And if you are in there with a bunch of supermodels its even better.

I would check out the Roberts tub!!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 02:49:34 pm »
Unfortunately with a traditional woden hot tub you have TONS of foot room. Even more with ours as the bench is completely supported by the side of the tub and there's no bench legs. However, if you can get tiogether 8 or 10 supermodels I would be more than happy to assist in a some experimentation.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 03:03:23 pm »
 While I think Doc's wooden tubs are stunning, wood tubs don't have insulation, nor do they have the therapy options of portable spas (round or not).  Making the jump from a round "portable spa" to a tradiiontal wooden hot tub may not be comparing apples to apples.   Doc, are the filtering systems on the wooden tubs simillair to what we are familliar with?

This might be a good topic...wooden tubs vs portable hot tubs.
07 Caldera Geneva

mntubber

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »
Hi,
This is my first post...

I bought a new Nordic Crown XL this fall. It was set up the second week in October. I love it and have used it almost every day!!

It is mainly used by just me and I must say that it is perfect for one person. It's great with another person, too. I am pleased with the jets - they mean business and the placement is exellent. I have had as many as four other people in there with me and you will be touching a few feet, but overall I wouldn't say it's too crowded.

I ordered the LED lights and everyone that has been in the tub agrees that they are great. It's awesome at night. We all like the depth of the tub also.

I ordered the tub and it took about 6 weeks for delivery.

Hope this helps

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42