What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Tips  (Read 4549 times)

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
Buying Tips
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:05:44 am »
 :)Hi!

I'm new to the forum. I'm just beginning to research the purchase of a new 6-8 person hot tub for my patio. I'm looking for advice. I don't want to recreate the wheel. Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer. :-?

Regards,

Ron

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Tips
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:05:44 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Buying Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:18:37 am »
Welcome to the forum. There's alot of helpful information at the link below.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/guide.shtml

What hot tub dealers are located in your area? Maybe you live by a fellow member and they can give you very specific information. :)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:49:56 am »
I'm just beginning to research the purchase of a new 6-8 person hot tub for my patio. I'm looking for advice.
What's your budget?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:51:38 am »
What's your budget?

Be prepared to spend more. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:14:16 am »
Getting a budget is a  good idea.

Also figure in for electrical connections too.

1) dont buy off the internet
2) Check out the dealer
3) Shop around.  Shop several differnt brands
4) Wet Test tubs
5) When comparing prices, make sure youre comparing similliar packages (Tub, cover, lifter, steps and deleivery.
6) Yes, you want steps, cover and a lifter and delivery.
7) Perhaps start by seeing what dealers are in your area....Hotspring, Sundance, Dimension One, Artic, Caldera all are quality names and can get you started in what's available and what you may like or not.
8) don't get hung up on jet counts, HP, or what not.   While somewhat important, it's more the quality of the water therapy and how they are employed, than just "Tub "A" has more jets, so it must be better.
9) Unless you have a sustantial budget, don't worry about waterfalls, sterors, tvs or fancy lights.
10) Wet test
11) Don't buy the first tub you see.  Don't be talked into anything in the store.
12) Wet test a few tubs to be able to compare one tub to another.
13) Buy quality
14) ask questions. Lots of them.
15) We're here to help

Have you looked at any tubs yet? Which ones?  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:14:56 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 02:43:09 pm »
My budget is in the 8-10K range. I haven't physically looked at any tubs yet but plan to do so soon. I want to learn as much as I possibly can before I go to a dealer.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:56:04 pm »
With that budget, you should be able to pretty much have the pick of the litter.

The posters above have all offered excellent advice, I would add this:

Stick with a company with a proven track record.  Do not fall for fly-by-night operations, do not place your faith in spa companies you've never heard of.  The industry has been drastically down the last couple of years, smaller and midsize companies are going to fold, and there is going to be a thinning of the heard in the spa industry.

Be diligent, do the research, and go with a brand name spa.  You will be happy that you did.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:46:31 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

anne

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 03:56:42 pm »
I would first find out what dealers are available in the area (as someone aready said) then do a search here on each of those brands. Keep in mind that "hotspring" may be known as "HS" and Dimension One may go by "D1" when you search.....I think most of the other brands you'll come across will just have a regular name. Searching like that will start to give you a feel for how well (or poorly) regarded some of the common brands are.  Then you can go shopping with good info and know what questions to ask dealers!
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:43:40 pm »
One VERY important thing to know  - THEY ALL SELL THE BEST TUB!   You need to find the best for you!

The industry has been drastically down the last couple of years, smaller and midsize companies are going to fold (one evidently already has this week),
Terminator

Term,

Which one bit the dust?

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:18:44 pm »
Take your time....go see several major tub dealers
and visit them several times.

Watch and see if they continue to be patient with you while you
are in the deciding process.

If they kind of "blow you off" after seeing you a couple of times
because you haven't bought anything yet.....it may be a sign....
they are more interested in a quick sale.

Don't fall for  "the sale ends this weekend" pressure because you
have to live with your decision for many years and I promise you
there will be many more "specials" and "sales" in the near future.

Ask the salesperson...."how long have you worked here"?

Remember a good dealer is almost as important as the tub brand.

Ask if you can "wet test" different models to see what fits you best.

As far as the tub....I personally really like a foot dome on the floor of the tub
that directs jets/water at the feet. I also really like a waterfall and the LED light feature.

Foot space was also important to me.

You'll have to decide if you want a "lounger seat" which allows you to
kind of stretch out more....but a lounger normally eliminates one of the
regular seats.....so you kind of need to decide which is more important
the lounger or losing a seat. Some say they tend to float up from a lounger.
Others can't live without a lounger seat. I personally chose to not have a
lounger and lose the seat....but lounger vs. no lounger is a case by case
preference.

Go slow....study the brands and the dealers and enjoy the whole process.

Good luck.....you will love soaking!

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:40:03 pm »
Thanks fo all of the great feedback! :)

I'm taking notes from all of the replies. This forum is the greatest resource I've seen.

I was surfing through the Sundance and Hot Spring websites today. The Hot Spring Vanguard has a 2006 Consumer Digest Best Value Award. They both claim to be the world leaders. :-? I'm impressed with both of the manufacturers products. 8-)

Epinions.com has consumer reviews for the Sundance Cameo and Hot Spring Vanguard. The Sundance faired well, although most consumers complained about noise(jets). Hot Spring Vanguard consumers were very happy except for one that had contoller issues. :-?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:21:22 am »
You know Reprice, I think you're shopping at a good time.  The 2007s are just comming into showrooms, and there may be some very good deals on left over 2006's.

One thing that hasn't been addressed is you mention you're looking for a 6-8 person spa.   Keep in mind that if a spa says "6 Seats" this does not mean "6 Adults can sit in the tub comfortably".   :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:17:46 am »
unless they're midgets....er....little people......in which case, they'll float around comfortably, since the larger tubs are deeper, for the most part.  ;)
I'd read the rumor that Great Lakes is going under, which might be true, but how does one find out for sure? I doubt the dealer would volunteer that sort of info...at least the one up here wouldn't.
Shop for a great deal, but think of a "great deal" starting with a great DEALER. Just like buying a car or house, IMO...I figure out what kind of car I want, but also who I want to benefit from my purchase....
In the $8-10k range, you should be able to find your dream tub AND dream dealer.
Best of luck!!
RIP C-Rod

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 02:41:58 pm »
Thanks! :)

I got a discounted price quote of $8490 for a '06 Hot Spring Vanguard floor model from my local dealer in Delaware today. Has anyone purchased or priced this tub? The dealer has been in business for 20 years. They want me to wet test a similiar tub. The price includes the cover with lift, delivery and set-up plus a starter kit. It has a pearl liner with redwood skirting. The dealer is Pools and Spas Ulimited in Delaware. They service all of their customers spas as well.  :-/

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »
The salesman didn't happen to be this shady looking character, did he?  (I should clarify, the one on the right)  He didn't speak with a phony British accent to sound intelligent, did he?

If it WAS him, run as fast as you can.....back to the store and buy it!  The gentleman in the picture is my good friend Guzz.  He and his company will take very good care of you.  That is also a very good price.

Good luck!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42