What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gurgle is killing me.  (Read 16770 times)

dustoff872

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Gurgle is killing me.
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:14:18 am »
O.K. folks.
Latest delima.  My gurgle is still here.  The tech came out and fooled around about an hour with my HS Grandee.  He even called Watkins and they did some "tests" but no "air leak" was found.  The tech informed me that this is normal on some tubs.  If this is the case I would like one from the other batch.

I asked the tech over the phone to change out the check valve and see what happens.  He did and informed me that the gurgling got worse.  He put the old one back in.  As the tech messed around with the tub he admitted the gurgle got louder as time went by.  He agreed this didn't seem right but had no other answers.  His next guess is to change out the "ozone generator" and see how that does but it isn't covered under warranty.  That didn't make me happy since the tub is 8 months old.  I faxed a copy of the other thread from here to the dealer so they could see others have this problem.

Questions.
1.  Is the ozonator NOT covered under warranty at all?
2.  The tubs at the dealer I can hear the slight hum of the circ. pump and then background noise of the bubbles in the tub.  My tub I can close it up stand 15 feet away and hear the gurgling (imagine what it sounds like IN the tub).  Does this sound like a Normal situation on SOME HS tubs?
3.  I'm getting unhappy with my HS Grandee and I was a strong supporter what can I do?

Thanks,
Dustoff

Hot Tub Forum

Gurgle is killing me.
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:14:18 am »

J._McD

Re: Gurgle is killing me.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:40 am »
There are two aspects of the ozonator, one is electrical and and the second is the hook up to the plumbing.  I would think that if the ozone was changed out, the only thing that will change will be whether it produces ozone or not electrically.  Most companies will warranty the ozonator for a period of one year.

Changing out the ozonator is not going to do anything to the hydraulic system that pulls the ozone into the plumbing system.  One suggestion would be to cap off the suction draw inlet for the ozone, this will eliminate the ozone/air from being drawn into the plumbing system.  If this reduces your gurgle, it is then related to how the ozone is plumbed into the system.

If you can isolate it to the ozone draw, that would be half the battle.  Putting a new ozone on, is not going to change the plumbing hook up, only if it is electrically working, or not.

Air getting into the plumbing seems to be the culprit and the ozonater is a possible suspect.  Do you have air venturri's on the tub, or diverter valves that chanel the water from one plumbing section to another.  These could also be possible suspects, but I would defer those issues to the HS people who know the systems best.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:15:19 am »
I asked the tech over the phone to change out the check valve and see what happens.  He did and informed me that the gurgling got worse.  He put the old one back in.  As the tech messed around with the tub he admitted the gurgle got louder as time went by.  He agreed this didn't seem right but had no other answers.  His next guess is to change out the "ozone generator" and see how that does but it isn't covered under warranty.  That didn't make me happy since the tub is 8 months old.  I faxed a copy of the other thread from here to the dealer so they could see others have this problem.

Questions.
1.  Is the ozonator NOT covered under warranty at all?
2.  The tubs at the dealer I can hear the slight hum of the circ. pump and then background noise of the bubbles in the tub.  My tub I can close it up stand 15 feet away and hear the gurgling (imagine what it sounds like IN the tub).  Does this sound like a Normal situation on SOME HS tubs?
3.  I'm getting unhappy with my HS Grandee and I was a strong supporter what can I do?

Thanks,
Dustoff

1) Don't swap out your ozonator as that will have minimal effect and it is random as to whether it would be minimally better or worse but most probably the similar.

2) The issue sounds like the amount of air going into the ozonator and then into the injector. As you saw, changing out the check valve had an effect (again random as to whether it is better, worse, or similar). What you can do is regulate the amount of air going into that ozonator with a simple valve where you can turn it down from it's current 100% open orrifice. I would call Watkins on this and ask as someone must have done this before.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 11:18:17 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:23:32 am »
Dustoff, you should not be hearing any gurgling or humming at all on any of the spas.  I have 5 spas up and running in my store at the moment and they are all quiet as a mouse.  Tell the dealer that you are not satisfied and insist that they either get the problem fixed or you will call the manufacturer yourself.

I believe the ozonator has a 2 year warranty.  You should be covered.

Good luck and I hope you get satisfaction from the dealer.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:26:04 am »
I agree with the adjusting the amount of air being sucked through the ozone system.

The other thing you can try is and enzyme product such as Spa Perfect.  Sometimes I have seen that change ozone bubbles from big, gurgling to small fizzing.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:44:16 pm »
Use the enzyme...If that works change to a differant filter on the circ pump and see how it sounds.

I used to do the enzyme when customers complained about it and it always took care of the problem.

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:26:28 pm »
Is this gurgle that you speak of (and what others have complained about lately too) the same thing as what I asked about last night?

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1139189400

dustoff872

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 03:36:26 pm »
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies.  I have a better concept of the workings now thanks to your posts.  I am going to dig through my warranty stuff and see what I find.  Also plan on leaving work early today so I will have some daylight to investigate inside the tub.

Is this gurgle that you speak of (and what others have complained about lately too) the same thing as what I asked about last night?

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1139189400

Brookenstein you are right on about the "soda fizz" that is a perfect explanation.  Now it sounds like one of those office water coolers gasping at the air when someone fills up their cup.  Only it is constant and at a quicker tempo than the water cooler.  This too started after a refill of the tub.

I'll be out of town for a couple of days, I hope the dealer will come up with something when I get back.  Thanks for the help and I'll keep the forum posted as to what I see or they tell me.

Dustoff

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 04:42:41 pm »
Use the enzyme...If that works change to a differant filter on the circ pump and see how it sounds.

I used to do the enzyme when customers complained about it and it always took care of the problem.

???  huh   ???

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 04:43:38 pm »

???  huh   ???

my exact response as well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

newriver99

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 06:17:32 pm »
I just did my first refill on my 4 month old Vanguard and I have noticed a gurgling sound.  I guess I better call the dealer.  This is the first time I have seen this problem mentioned on the forum.  Before the refill I did not have that sound. If anyone gets this solved or gets an answer please post.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 07:18:59 pm »

???  huh   ???

The enzyme breaks down the oils in the filter and allows the bubbles to flow better. That could tell us that the filter is clogging too rapidly and is either contaminated or just to tight.

I've seen three different filters in a HotSpring create three different scenarios in the bubbles even when they were brand new simply by shifting them around and watching the return.

Sound crazy but it try it..... ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 07:42:38 pm »
The enzyme breaks down the oils in the filter and allows the bubbles to flow better. That could tell us that the filter is clogging too rapidly and is either contaminated or just to tight.

I've seen three different filters in a HotSpring create three different scenarios in the bubbles even when they were brand new simply by shifting them around and watching the return.

Sound crazy but it try it..... ;)

;D  OH!!!   ;D

And thanks for the explanation!

PSGM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:06:35 pm »
KZO Technologies manufactures a flow adjustment / backflow prevention device that combines with the Freshwater III ozone system and will eliminate the gurgling.  It also eliminates check valve failures.  The units retail for about $35 and take about 10 minutes to install.   If your dealer cannot get you one, contact prescott spas, www.prescottspas.com

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:04:49 pm »
Oh oh, just what we needed, another Hot Spring dealer! :D

Just Kidding ... Welcome!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:04:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42