What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone question from newbie  (Read 3735 times)

neocacher

Ozone question from newbie
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:55:57 am »
Its probably been covered before, but here I go anyways......

I have purchased ozone for a $250 add on to my Caldera Cumberland.  It runs ONLY when the pump runs, which is about 2 hours a day for the cycle, when I am  in it with the low speed pump running, and when it heats, maybe another 2 or 3 hours a day so maybe 5-6 hours total.

My dealer says that it will save me money on chemicals, but how can I verify this? I am still putting in chlorine  1/2-1 teaspoon (i eyeball it) every time that I use it, which is 1-2 times a day.  And I already shocked it after 4 days after using it 8 times.  How is the ozone saving me money? I think ozone may be a secondary cleaning boost but that's about it.  At this point, I am NOT convinced!

I just don't see it! Help please! (or at least make me feel better about the purchase)

Cary in South Dakota

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone question from newbie
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:55:57 am »

neocacher

Re: Ozone question from newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:06:54 am »
ADDENDUM:

Also, I just got out of the tub this morning after doing a 15 minute soak. I had put in the teaspoon of chlorine last night after I used it, about 10 pm.

So, i decide to used a test strip before I put in any more chemicals after my soak this morning, and after I made my first post here.

The chlorine test showed pure white.  So now I am less convinced than ever  about the ozone.

Or does it not matter if the test strip shows white. I am more confused than ever.

Cary in South Dakota

Reese

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:35:59 am »
Sorry Neocacher, but unless you accept anecdotes and testimonials as fact, you aren't going to find anything to make you feel better about your purchase.  As far as I know, there have been no scientific studies specific to ozone's effects in a hot-tub.  The best information I've seen has been posted by Vermonter on this forum, based on his attempts to measure and verify any benefits.  Do a search for his posts (be sure to expand the search period to a year).  There was a thread in the last two weeks that went over this, including the Vermonter information.

As you read, you'll see this is a controversial topic.  There are a lot of testimonials to its benefits here (some very positive, and from very credible sources),  but the applied science contradicts the likelihood that ozone is providing much benefit in your tub.  The problem appears to come in that the hot-tub industry has found that selling ozone wonders is an easy way to add another $2-300 to the sale.  I think there are a lot of well-meaning folks who buy into the marketing, take the manufacturers' information and accept it as truth.  They are able to maintain clean water at low chemical rates, and attribute it to ozone -- when in all likelihood, it is due to other factors.  Unfortunately, science doesn't confirm it either way.

On the bright side, the ozone may be helping your water look and smell a little better, which isn't a bad thing in itself.  Just don't expect a monetary return on the investment.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:42:43 am by Reese »

neocacher

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:36:22 pm »
I came to this conclusion before I read your reply, which I appreciate.  I have talked to my dealer, and I will be removing my ozone unit and returning it for a refund.  What convinced me to return it is that, unlike some 24 hour filtering tubs, my tub only filters 2-5 hours a day. When the pump isn't running, the ozone isn't working. Hence I would only get 10-25% of whatever benefits that there are with ozone.  I would rather save the $270 and use a few more chemicals, if in fact this is the case.

No need to respond further, (unless someone wants to)  as I am aware this is a controversial subject.

Cary in South Dakota

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:59:43 pm »
Sounds like you made a good choice

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:27 pm »
$270 will buy a lot of dichlor.
Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 05:09:17 pm »
$270 will buy a lot of dichlor.

Because of your use pattern I would say good move returning the unit. But if you do not use your tub everyday, like some of us. There may be more of a benifit of not having to go add dichlor everyday. Combined with N2 I do feel it helps to extend the lenght of time between additions and allows your tub to stay bacteria free longer with no chlorine residual. In other words if your not adding any nastys (not using it) then your tubs ozone and the mineral purifier can keep up longer keeping your water clean.

Of course these are just my observations and as was stated there seems to be absolutly no scientific evidence that either Ozone or N2 do anything.
Retired

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 06:57:36 pm »
Quick clearification. There is scientific proof that ozone oxidizes contaminates it comes in contact with. There is not however scientific proof that it makes an actual difference in how much chlorine you have to use or that it effectively sanitizes the spa water.
Speaking of clearification. Go to clearification.com its funny. ;D

Reese

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:21:23 pm »
Quick clearification. There is scientific proof that ozone oxidizes contaminates it comes in contact with. There is not however scientific proof that it makes an actual difference in how much chlorine you have to use or that it effectively sanitizes the spa water.
As you know from the the thread last week, "in contact with" is the issue.  It does not appear that it is possible to get enough ozone in solution in a hot-tub environment to accomplish much of anything (other than oxidizing the air in the injector tube! 8-)).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:22:01 pm by Reese »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 08:41:53 pm »
Think of ozone as this ... a red car is traveling east on I-80 in the Midwest and blue car is traveling west on I-80 in the Northeast. How long does it take for each driver to realize that the other car is on I-80 if they turn off 10 miles after getting onto I-80? The answer is NEVER!!!

Another scenario is there are 50,000 people trying to get out of a sports arena after a game (their team was winning by a close score) and only 1 gate is open. How likely is there to be bumper to bumper traffic getting out of the parking lot. DEFINATELY!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:40:41 am »
Well  Ozone is proven to kill bacteria. That's a fact and there are reports on the effectiviness of ozone.  However, (And this were we get into the anecdotal part), it seems that folks who have success with ozone are running it 24 x 7. Users with units running only a few hours a day seem to report less satisfaction than others.
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:45:57 am »
Think of ozone as this ... a red car is traveling east on I-80 in the Midwest and blue car is traveling west on I-80 in the Northeast....
An ozone thread is like a box of chocolates, most of the posts/candies are just OK -- but every now and then you get a caramel or a nut.  I'm not sure which this post is, but it definitely is not a boring creme. :-?  Now Drewstar, continuing to champion ozone, is a little easier call! ;) ::) ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:19:50 am »
As you know from the the thread last week, "in contact with" is the issue.  It does not appear that it is possible to get enough ozone in solution in a hot-tub environment to accomplish much of anything (other than oxidizing the air in the injector tube! 8-)).

I must have missed that one.  Do you have a link or pointer?
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 11:38:20 am »
I must have missed that one.  Do you have a link or pointer?
It was the one that Vermonter chimed in on.  You were in it at one point.  I know, because I disagreed with you, in my usual delicate way. ::)  If you missed it, I'll just apologize in advance. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:38:57 am by Reese »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:47 am »
It was the one that Vermonter chimed in on.  You were in it at one point.  I know, because I disagreed with you, in my usual delicate way. ::)  If you missed it, I'll just apologize in advance. :)

Huh. I;ll have to go diggin.   Because I did not walk away with the impressin that there is no way its possible to get enough O3 into a tub to be effective. "

That's just wrong.  :P ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42