What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with my 1st drain  (Read 2515 times)

Bama

Help with my 1st drain
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:49:12 am »
Ok, I let my tub drain overnight.
This morning my tub should be empty...haven't looked into it yet, should I clean it with something?  I was thinking of using baking soda, but didn't know what any residual might do to the PH upon filling again.
Any words of wisdom out there on best cleaning method or anything else I should do while the tub is empty?

Help is always appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Help with my 1st drain
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:49:12 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Help with my 1st drain
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:55:48 am »
I use a spa surface cleaner and one of those plastic scrubby pads, go over the inside of the shell and the jet surfaces, rinse, then drain out that water.  
 Whatever you chose to use, if anything, just rinse the sides down and drain that water out.  When you refill with new water, any amount of residual left should have a very minor impact on your water.

The cleaner I use is a gel made by Baqua Spa/Brilliance (same product different packages), but I'm sure there are other equally good choices out there.
The stuff can even be used with water in the spa- I got turned onto it when I was using Baqua and had to remove that brown ring around the collar junk- the cleaner took it right off.
Brewman

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 07:57:45 am »
Hello Bama.

First off, if you used swirl-away or some other cleaner, you probably have rings of hardened gunk stuck to the side of your tub.  Two methods of cleaning these come to mind.  First would be to take said swirl-away or other solution used on a rag to cut the gunk.  The second would be to use SoftScrub either on a rag or a soft (tub-safe) scrubby sponge.  I know that Watkins approves the use of SoftScrub on their shells.  You'll have to check with your manufacturer.  I would use a bucket of water and keep rinsing out the rag/sponge.  You can hose the tub out when you're done.

Remember, SoftScrub contains bleach.  Any residual chlorine would be welcome upon fill up.  

Unfortunately, you need to wait for the tub to fill and heat up before you can soak those sore muscles you get from scrubbing  :-?

If you don't have a lot of gunk, just fill it up and relax.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:31:31 am »
I have never yet had to clean the shell of my spa when I drain.  There just hasn't been anything to clean.  I use spa gloss which is a polish maybe once a year.  Otherwise I just fill.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:54:00 am »
tony,

Run this http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MT1028&Category_Code=Maintenance per labled instructions the next time you drain and I am fairly certain that you will have some shell cleaning to do.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:16:03 am »
I have never yet had to clean the shell of my spa when I drain.  There just hasn't been anything to clean.  I use spa gloss which is a polish maybe once a year.  Otherwise I just fill.

What he said. I wipe off above the water line, that's it.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:54:48 am »
tony,

Run this http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MT1028&Category_Code=Maintenance per labled instructions the next time you drain and I am fairly certain that you will have some shell cleaning to do.

I use a plumbing cleaner at least once per year.  The product you linked to is a pretty good one as well as Swirl Away.  I don't like the new Leisure Time product as much.  I have tried them all.

These have more to do with internal plumbing than what is on the shell.  My shell is as clean a whistle.  I am amazed at how nice it stays.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:06:32 pm »
Same here.  I pretty much wipe down the shell at the Mrs'. request.  Small price to pay to avoid her wrath......
Brewman

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:59:49 pm »
Yep, same for me. There's nothing to clean. I wipe it down and use a Mr. Eraser around the edges just to be safe. Make sure you clean your filters.

Same here.  I pretty much wipe down the shell at the Mrs'. request.  Small price to pay to avoid her wrath......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 02:37:15 pm »
i just refill.
 never really had a ring around the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 02:37:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42