What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bromine startup in new tub  (Read 13802 times)

richopian

bromine startup in new tub
« on: December 14, 2006, 11:58:09 am »
Hi all,
I recently bought a new Jacuzzi J365 tub and it comes with a Bromine starter kit. For those of you with Bromine experience and knowledge, could you let me know what the general process is for Bromine and chemicals.

I have the tub delivered today and the electrician hooking it up tomorrow. Plan is to fill the tub with water tonight. Should I also start the chemical setup tonight or should I wait until there is power for heat and the jets etc.

Any idea how long I have to wait until I can start using the tub. I think its a lot faster than Chlorine.

Please don't post arguments against Bromine and for Chlorine as I've already decided to go bromine.

cheers
rich

Hot Tub Forum

bromine startup in new tub
« on: December 14, 2006, 11:58:09 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: bromine startup in new tub
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:45 pm »
Rich,

Good comment at the end, it will help prevent the age long debate.  

Anyways, I am a bromine user as well.  I would suggest putting in the chemicals once the tub is up and running.  The only reason why is because you need to add your bromine reserve.  To do this you should be running the jets to disolve the crystals and have it go through the hole system.  

So, I am not sure if your starter kit came with a small package of bromine grannuals, but if not, go buy it or you can get a container of granular bromine.

Once you get that in, put your bromine tabs in the brominator and set the dial.  I keep mine at 4, you may want to turn yours to dispense more because of heavy use in new tubs.  Maybe 6 or 7.

that is it for the first few days.  Just enjoy it.  I use the tub, once the water is hot enough, I dont care about the smell or the risks just go for it.  but that is just me.

After the third of fourth day, I would suggest that you test the water.  Dont over chemical your tub in the beginning, it will take care of itself for the most part.  The more we fiddle with the chemicals, the chance you run over using chemicals and having to drain and refill.

Depending on you water quality where you are, you will find that your Ph should stay constant with the bromine.  I never have to adjust ph with my water.  Bromine breaks down the alkalinity levels pretty well.  I find that once a week, I have to add to capfuls of alkalinity up.  This is common problem in my area.  Make sure that you keep an eye on the alk.

On the fourth day, after you check you water quality you can begin shocking.  With chlorine, people shock after every use.  This is to much with bromine.  I find that one shock a week or after heavy use I will shock.  I go with 1 tablespoon of shock per normal bather.  Once a week I add 3 to 4 tablespoons of shock, that helps boost up your bromine levels and keeps the sanitation levels just right.

That is it.  I assume you are using pleated filters, so I cant really help you with that because I use micropure disposable filters and do not have to clean them.  So hopefully someone else can chime in on chemical and maitenance routines for the filters.

Number one rule with new tub ownership.  DO NOT OVER USE YOUR CHEMICALS, OR ELSE YOU WILL BE DUMPING YOUR WATER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.  

Hope this helps you a bit.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:39 pm »
I can't add to the post on the Bomine but I was wondering why you would be filling the tub before the electrician gets there?  It doen't take long to fill maybe 45 minutes or so, you can start to fill the tub after the electrician says all is well just in case.

Just a thought.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

richopian

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:30:34 pm »
Thanks for the info - very helpful.

One question - when you talk about shocking the tub. Is this with the same sort of shock used for Chlorine aswell, or is it specific to Bromin. I get my chemical starter kit later today when the tubs delivered, so I don't know what they have given me yet.

cheers
Rich

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:31:07 pm »
the nice thing of having water, is that once its hooked up you can turn it on.  if there is a problem the electrician is still there and you can get him to fix it.  just my 2 cents.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:35:55 pm »
 Another thing to add is your dealer should give you the new style bromine dispenser from Jacuzzi that fits in the top of the filter it works great.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:26:10 pm »
im not sure to be honest with you.  I use refresh my arctic spas.  I think that it is for both chlorine and bromine.  maybe someone else may be able to answer that question for you.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 03:28:08 pm »
the nice thing of having water, is that once its hooked up you can turn it on.  if there is a problem the electrician is still there and you can get him to fix it.  just my 2 cents.

Exactly, I just meant when he shows up he has a quick look and says all is well then you start filling up the tub, it should be filled before he leaves don't ya think?  Mine took about 45 minutes, at around the 30 minute mark I was able to purge the drain and start it up.  It would be a hell of alot worse if you had to drain it though if there was an issue.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:29:57 pm »
You use the same shock for bromine or chlorine.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 05:43:17 pm »
I use a product called refresh.  Bromine is what I use for sanitation and once a week I shock with refresh.  I have no clue what it is, but it is a form of shock.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »
I beleive Refresh is MPS.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:50:58 pm »
I started off with dichlor and switched to bromine. Both use the same shock and other water chems.  I'm about due to reload on chemicals, and have to figure out what I've actually used, as I've got several containers that I haven't touched since the tub arrived.
Good luck and enjoy!!
RIP C-Rod

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 10:39:46 pm »
so did we answer all of your questions???

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 12:14:47 am »
Bosco, have you ever tried dichlor before? How do you like bromine so far?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 04:38:44 am »
I use a product called refresh.  Bromine is what I use for sanitation and once a week I shock with refresh.  I have no clue what it is, but it is a form of shock.

Yes for bromine MPS (Potassium Peroxymonosulfate) is used as a shock, it is an ozidizer. It can also be used with a chlorine (dichlor) sanitation routine. But with dichlor because there is no chlorine in the water a day after adding it, you will need to add it with MPS to shock. With Bromine it is always in the water so you do not need to add bromine before you shock. The purpose of shocking is to burn off (ozidize) the nastys that your sanitizer, whether it be bromine or chlorine have built up. Depending on usage it needs to be done after about 4-6 soaks with 2 people 8-10 with one person or less or more depending on how dirty you soak. If you have a party you may want to shock the next day after 1 soak. It's something you will learn. In my case I shock about once a month as I only use my tub a couple times a week max. and mostly by myself.

Your adding AKL up (baking soda) Bosco because Bromine and MPS have low ALK and you need to drive it up as you use those products. Same problem I had with my water and bromine MPS use.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 04:38:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42