What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Reading the Readings on a Taylor Test Kit  (Read 2910 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Reading the Readings on a Taylor Test Kit
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:17:14 pm »
At the suggestion of several people, I bought the Taylor K2005 test kit for my tub.  The only test that I have difficulting reading is for the Chlorine. (FC and CC).  Is it me or does anyone else have problems with the color gradations on the test vial?  I have a lot of difficulty seeing the differences between them.  I have tried to read it in daylight, and in front of a white background with incandesant and floresent (sp) light.

Any ideas?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Reading the Readings on a Taylor Test Kit
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:17:14 pm »

anne

Re: Reading the Readings on a Taylor Test Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:01:48 pm »
Agreed, the different colors are very close, but I think that is more true on the higher levels of chlorine. One option in that case is to dilute the sample by 1/2, mixing it with tap water (if the tap water has a FC of zero) and then measuring and multiplying by 2. I find the lighter hues more discernable than the darker ones.
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »
To test for CC wait until FC=0 anything it shows is CC.

anne

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:24:15 pm »
Oops- misread the question. Vinny's advice is great, as usual! I thought he meant just telling the difference between the pinkness of 3 vs 5, or 1 vs 1.5 ppm FC.
Dance like nobody's watching

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:45:01 pm »

Yes, I too have a hard time reading the color, they are so close, it's hard to tell the difference in the color.  So, when I get aggrevated, I go back to my test strips for the chlorine reading.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:17:37 am »
Thanks all.  I have gone back to relying on the test strips too when I can't tell the difference.  Sometimes, thought, I get completely different readings from the strips.  Its a little aggravating   :(
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »
The one thing strips do well is chlorine.  With the Taylor kit, I don't have any issues as long as the free chlorine reading is under 3ppm, which it is almost always.  Greater than three, its hard to read.  I use the same method as Vinny to read combined chlorine.  Shock time is when CC reaches .2 ppm.  Try measuring that with the 2005 kit.  With free chlorine at zero, any hint of pink while measuring total chlorine means its time to shock.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42