Is this thread ready for the Dead horse section

Yes
15 (65.2%)
No
6 (26.1%)
Long live Masterspa!
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Master Spa Shows in the News!  (Read 19825 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Master Spa Shows in the News!
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:10:58 am »
I just saw this at Consumerist.com:
    Hot Tub Dealer Sets Up "Competitive" Fair Where It's The Only Seller
Apparently, the Minneapolis Better Business Bureau is involved and the president of MS is threatening to sue them! Like that will ever happen.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Master Spa Shows in the News!
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:10:58 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Master Spa Shows in the News!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:56:59 am »
Hmmm....I recall this saying that starts out "...if it walks like a duck..."  ::)
RIP C-Rod

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:18:54 am »
Did you notice the foam in the tub? She needs to get on the forum and fix her water.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:19 am »
The dealer in question is right up the street from my office.  They seem to be one of those places where everyting is always on sale.  

Brewman

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:42:42 am »
When my wife first began looking at hot tubs, she went to a show also supposedly representing various makes and models. It turned out that a fairly large dealer here in the Chicago area was the sole seller and only had Master and Barefoot spas (Hawkeye Mfg) on the floor.

I had never thought about it until I began reading others talk about similar shows in their areas. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the marketing concept,  but I do think the advertising for such shows should be honest and forthright as to what mfg's products will be displayed. It is curious, however, that the only dealers that seem to market this way are Master dealers.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 09:46:37 am »
When my wife first began looking at hot tubs, she went to a show also supposedly representing various makes and models. It turned out that a fairly large dealer here in the Chicago area was the sole seller and only had Master and Barefoot spas (Hawkeye Mfg) on the floor.

I had never thought about it until I began reading others talk about similar shows in their areas. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the marketing concept,  but I do think the advertising for such shows should be honest and forthright as to what mfg's products will be displayed. It is curious, however, that the only dealers that seem to market this way are Master dealers.

They do it out here in MA as well.

I do think it's misleading, and therefore, wrong. It's not "illegal" but why would anyone want to deal with someone who is intentionaly misleading you?  I agree that I'd think much more of this company if they'd advertised "Come to the MASTER spa show" rather than give you the impressoin is a show full of compeititors.  Since they do this, I wouldn't even consider buying one of their products.

Least we forget also thier road side tent sales?

Or the infamouse Rebate program?

Master spas are shady.
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:34:34 am »

I do think it's misleading, and therefore, wrong. It's not "illegal" but why would anyone want to deal with someone who is intentionaly misleading you?

I guess colleges everywhere have restructured their marketing courses and deceit is now an acceptable practice.  I rush home every night because I'm expecting a package I ordered that is a gift for my wife for Christmas. I want to get it before she sees it.  I got home last night and the familiar brown and yellow tag is on my door and I'm wondering, did he leave it in back, or I have to go pick it up.  As I get closer is cleary says DELIVERY, but its an add for a mortgage company.  I called them and asked them why I would do business with someone who thinks they have to trick me into it?  No good answer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:35:12 am »
That is not the first time that store has been in hot water, they were the focus of the voucher program from Master Spas a few years back.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 10:50:49 am »
I got curious and accessed the Minnesota BBB website and looked up the record of this dealer.  The BBB revoked their membership about 4 months ago, and the reason listed was that they were un-cooperative with the BBB over their advertising.  The BBB contends that their advertising is misleading, and has given them an unsatisfactory rating.  It was an interesting read.

Really, Master may make a fine spa, but the sales tactics just make me wary of the place.  I eliminated it from serious consideration when I was spa shopping, just because of the way they choose to do business.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:53:28 am by Brewman »
Brewman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:59:01 am »
Unfortunately, PT Barnum was right. :(
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spiderman

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:11:49 am »
There was nothing wrong with the spa she bought, right?  She never said anything about being disappointed in the spa itself.  Buyer beware no matter what you buy or where you buy it from.  She really should have done some research before spending a bunch of cash for a high ticket item.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:16:01 am »
There was nothing wrong with the spa she bought, right?  She never said anything about being disappointed in the spa itself.  Buyer beware no matter what you buy or where you buy it from.  She really should have done some research before spending a bunch of cash for a high ticket item.

I agree, Buyer Beware, but when a company like Master always seems to be involved in shady or misleading practices, as a consumer, I have no problem saying to hell with them and spreading the word that you can get a better tub at a better price, from a better dealer.  They are shooting themselves in the foot by doing allowing dealers to do this.
07 Caldera Geneva

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 12:53:10 pm »

Spiderman
I agree that the woman in the report may not have been the most savy consumer, but negotiating price on a hot tub is difficult enough when the playing field is level.  Here, Master Spas deliberately sets up a deceptive and illusory "multiple dealer  environment" specifically to deceive the consumer into thinking their "show" is a competive market place and that the consumer can get a good deal based on that.  Truly despicable and hopefully, illegal.
And I don't care if Master Spas really, truly, made the "Best Tub in the World". I would never knowingly deal with these kind of people.

To paraphrase Comicbook Man on the Simpsons:
WORST.
HOT TUB MAKERS.
EVER.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 01:17:28 pm »
I think Master spas needs to end this type of promotion and just to get themselves squared away and get down to the business of making a quality spa sold in a reputable manner. Heck, they can hire ex-Major League star Mark McGuire as their spokesman. That way whenever anyone wants to dredge up their reputation for the rebate scam or the fake multidealer shows he can say:

"We're not here to talk about the past".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 01:46:57 pm »
Kinda makes you wonder what kind of marketing support or guidance Master Spa gives their dealers.  Are they encouraged to engage in these tactics?  
 Seems to be a central theme to these dealers.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 01:46:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42