What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Delivered: 2007 Hot Spring Grandee  (Read 14241 times)

SpaMorph

Delivered: 2007 Hot Spring Grandee
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:14:54 pm »
Arrived yesterday afternoon.  Pleasantly surprised to find that it is a 2007 model.  Ordered it in early-November.

Espresso and Sterling Marble.

Hot Tub Forum

Delivered: 2007 Hot Spring Grandee
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:14:54 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Delivered: 2007 Hot Spring Grandee
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:17:16 pm »
Congrats on the new tub!

Let's see the inside of that bad boy.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:24:47 pm »
Nice. The dak cabinet is nice.

The 07's are out?  

Hmmmm those folks looking for a deal....might soon find some decent prices on left over 06's ?????
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaMorph

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:32:23 pm »
Was anxious to have the delivery team put me through "Spa School" and show me the ins-and-outs of the tub and, most importantly, teach me the chemicals.  Unfortuantely, the guys were running late and had another delivery to make, so I didn't get much in the way of "Spa School."  

My salesman recommended that I use chlorine in the tub since I'm a rookie tub owner.  He seemed to be under the impression that it is easier to manage than bromine.

Delivery guy filled up the tub and tested the untreated water.  Perfect, according to the test strip.  He put some chlorine in and a dash of Stain and Scale Defense and then was on his way.  

Tub started heating around 5pm and wasn't ready at midnight, so I went on to bed.  It took longer than I expected to heat up, but it was ready this morning when I woke.  

Opened the cover for the first soak and noticed a yellow scum line around the shell.  Soaked for about 30 minutes and tried to figure out how to work all the different knobs, jets, etc.  I wiped the scum line off the shell and got out.

Salesman told me to purchase an ion purifier thing, which is not in stock at the moment, but I should be able to get it next week.  This is supposed to allow me to use much less chlorine.  I was told not to worry about testing the water too much; just add a teaspoon of chlorine after each soak, hit the "Clean" button, and the water should stay in pretty good shape.

After the first soak, something concerns me.  I plan to use the tub on an almost daily basis, sometimes twice per day.  After the first soak, I noticed that my skin is dry and itchy, and a bit sticky.  Will my skin adjust or is this a sign of a bigger problem with more use?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:37:02 pm »
Dry, itcvhy and a bit sticky? I bet the tub was't cleaned well. I never heard of that. A yellow scum line? WTF?

I'd be tempted to wash the filters, and dumpt the water.  This aint right.  

Dont' buy the silver ion pack because you'll use less dichlor. YOU WONT.
Some folks think it improves thier water, but that's another story.

I thought all New Hotpsrings had the new self dispensing chemical doo hickey?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:40:09 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaMorph

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:43:29 pm »
Dry, itcvhy and a bit sticky? I bet the tub was't cleaned well. I never heard of that. A yellow scum line? WTF?
Yes, my skin feels like it does when I get out of a heavily chlorinated pool.  

And yes, there was a heavy yellow scum line before the first soak.

SpaMorph

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:45:13 pm »
Here's the inside.  Notice the BellaFontana water feature on the left.  New for the Grandee in 2007.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:45:24 pm »
The AutoFresh doohickey system is an option.

Scumline is typical on first fills, at least in our area.  It's just the natural contaminants in the water collecting at the surface.  Wipe it of a couple of times and it should not return until next fill up.

Itching and dry skin could be either pH imbalance or excess chlorine.

The spa looks great!

Congratulations!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 12:50:06 pm »
Excess chlorine? This is new fill up. Did you or they add dichlor,  do you have test strips? I'd do a quick check.

Term, is this one of your tubs?

I guess yellow scum could be a local water issue....but what about sticky? what the hell do you guys do in your water supply?  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 12:53:18 pm »
uuuuummmmmmm! Bellaaaa Fontanaaaa!
(Homer Simpson)

SpaMorph:  I just took delivery of an Envoy and silly as it may seem, I chose the Envoy because I really wanted the Bella Fontana.  Your tub looks great with it.  And your the first kid on the block to have a Grandee with one.  Just like a brand new Nike style!  Enjoy.

I got a simlar ring around my tub, but it took about three or four days.  It was brown and kinda greasy.  Baking soda made it easier to remove.  My dealer said it was sediment from my well water. (Are you on Well or City?) It's been almost two weeks and the ring hasn't come back at all.  So I say No Worries.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 12:56:23 pm »
Excess chlorine? This is new fill up. Did you or they add dichlor,  do you have test strips? I'd do a quick check.

I guess yellow scum could be a local water issue....but what about sticky? what the hell do you guys do in your water supply?  ::)

All that "recycled" Shiner Boc gotta to somewhere...

SpaMorph

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07:19 pm »

The delivery guy added the chlorine.  

The tub isn't from Term's shop, although he had a hand in selling me on it.

SpaMorph

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:09:34 pm »
I got a simlar ring around my tub, but it took about three or four days.  It was brown and kinda greasy.  Baking soda made it easier to remove.  My dealer said it was sediment from my well water. (Are you on Well or City?) It's been almost two weeks and the ring hasn't come back at all.  So I say No Worries.
The yellow scum ring started appearing almost immediately.  I'm on city water.  As I said, I wiped it off this morning after first soak.  I'll see if it returns.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 01:26:25 pm »
tub looks great!! Just curious why you dint hide the cable?   I think that dark cabinet looks amazing.

Spiderman

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »
First off, congrats on the new tub!!  Sterling marble is a great finish.  I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to clean my tub and it works like, well.........MAGIC!!  

As far as your water goes, I would recommend checking it daily just to figure out how much chlorine, etc, you need to add.  I followed my dealers instructions as well and had to dump the water a month after we got the tub because it turned into a pond overnight.  Our tub is only 225 gallons and we use 2 tsp of dichlor after each use.  The idea of using a "standard" amount of chlorine may not work, you really have to know yourself how much you really need to add to keep the tub's water up to snuff.  After a week or two you should know exactly what you need to do.  

I would agree that the itching, etc, that you've described most likely has something to do with your water.  Test it and find out where you're at.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42