What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Some help. New Hot Tub?  (Read 3881 times)

jeffbond98

Need Some help. New Hot Tub?
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:04:44 pm »
Hey to all you gurus.
I need some help picking out the best alround hottub? I'm sure you guys end up answering this question many of times, but the more input the better.
I'm looking for something with most, if not all the bells and whistles, yet it has to be very reliable. Price wise I know depends on quality, and I don't want to sacrifice quality.
A buddy from work use to be a hot tub dealer and he mentioned something about Hydra Pool hottubs as the # 1, Artic as #2. I checked out some sites but but can't figure out the options that thet come with. TV's would be nice, Towel warmers, waterfalls. and of course lights and music would be key.

I hope to hear from you all soon.
Thanks for the help/advice (in advance)
Jeff Bohn

Hot Tub Forum

Need Some help. New Hot Tub?
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:04:44 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: Need Some help. New Hot Tub?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:20:02 pm »
Jeff,

First let me say that the "best" hot tub is subjective to your wants and needs, that being said there are a good number of manufacturers that build very good tubs.  

As far as bells and whistles, I really won' t comment because I think TV's, audio packages and LED lights are overpriced gimmiks and you would be better suited to put that money into a better tub.  Ooopps.... I think that was a comment ;D

I'm not sure about your buddy's comment about Hydrapool but Artic does build a nice tub.  There are a number of Artic owners on this site that are happy with thier tub.

In your search for a tub you could also check out (in no particular order) Hot Springs, Sundance, Jaccuzzi, Marquis, Artesian, Bullfrog, Beachcomber and Caldera just to name a few of the good tubs out there.

Good luck with your search and remember to wet test before you buy
Bullfrog 451

jeffbond98

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:53:17 pm »
Thanks about that, maybe I'll tone down the gimmics. They just seemed too cool.
But thanks for the advice/coments!

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:34:18 pm »
As a new owner I can now say....wet test them.  I spent 60 days learning about every little technical gizmo.....it doesn't matter in the long run if you are ready to spend some buck.  The list that is in the earlier post is a good one.  They are all great tubs.  Get you suit and get wet testing.  Find the one that you like.  Most have all the features at the high end.   :)  I own a Caldera Niagra....1 month in....no regrets

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:03:57 pm »
I agree with In_Canada_eh!

The money spent on cool objects can buy you a higher level spa. TV's and stereos for $1000 to $3000 a piece seems wasteful IMO. I do have an LED light but I rarely use it and I know with 100,000 hours that LED's last I'll hopefully never have to change a light bulb.

Keep the bells and whistles out of the tub looking process and look for a tub that fits you the best. Buy a tub based on non whistle items and then add the whistles if you want them that bad ... just remember those whistles may break down sooner and cost to have repaired.

SpaNE

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:24:19 pm »
Jeff  - I am a fellow newbie that just came to this forum for advice.  The general wisdom is to always wet test because comfort is a top priority.

Having said that, I do realize the problems with wet testing.  First many dealers may not have the model you want filled and ready to test.  Second very few dealers have a "mood room" where you (and your spouse/children/significant other) may feel comfortable.  Many of the spa dealers around me have a few tubs surrounded by shoppers looking at Christmas trees and billiard tables this time of the year.

Good luck with your decsion.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:48:47 pm »
Hey to all you gurus.
I need some help picking out the best alround hottub? I'm sure you guys end up answering this question many of times, but the more input the better.
I'm looking for something with most, if not all the bells and whistles, yet it has to be very reliable. Price wise I know depends on quality, and I don't want to sacrifice quality.
A buddy from work use to be a hot tub dealer and he mentioned something about Hydra Pool hottubs as the # 1, Artic as #2. I checked out some sites but but can't figure out the options that thet come with. TV's would be nice, Towel warmers, waterfalls. and of course lights and music would be key.

I hope to hear from you all soon.
Thanks for the help/advice (in advance)
Jeff Bohn

Wet testing can be a long process, alot of dealers will arrange for a wet test after hours. First narrow your list to a few, do this with astetics, reputation, warranty, dealer comfort. The list above is a good one I would add Dimension One to it. Then when the dealer knows your serious and have narrowed your list, they may be more willing to fill your particular model. During your wet test take notes regarding comfort, noise, ease of operation and the like. It may be easier to remember one wet test to the next with the notes.
Retired

shabba34

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 09:18:00 pm »
A buddy from work use to be a hot tub dealer and he mentioned something about Hydra Pool hottubs as the # 1, Artic as #2.

Jeff Bohn
Your friend wouldn't happen to be from Canade eh?  Next he'll say Beachcomber is #3 and Coast is #4.  That thought process may be why he/she "used to be a hot tub dealer.  (Disclaimer:  By no means am I saying the 2... or 4 products mentioned above (except maybe Coast), sorry :-X, are not worthy of claiming quality built machinery, but they are all Canadian based MFG's.  They may be considered #1 and #2 in Canada....

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:31:32 am »
agreed, all subjective.  I personally feel that tvs and stereos are just one extra thing to go wrong.  Lights, well maybe I got them.

You mention hydrapool as #1.  I would disagree.  I think you need to learn about the top brands and look at the models.  When you find  some that you like, set up appointments to test.  

Where are you from?? Perhaps I can give you some help.  I assume Canada by your comments.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 09:16:40 am »
What's the best is very subjective. I've never heard Hydrapool mentioned at the top of the list. (I do like how you can drain the tub using the tubs pumps. That seems like a great idea. How come other makers don't do this?)  Artic is a major player and has many satisfied customers.

There are dozens of high quality manufcatuers of hot tubs to consider. Below I mention a few, however, going with all the bells and whistles, may be a distraction in finding a good tub.

Honeslty, the TV isn't a good idea. It's a gimmick.  TVs and hot tubs doen't mix, but if you wanted to have a tv out were you tubbed, you'd be better off buying a seperate unit (some folk here have set up DLP's with a remote controlled screen the retracts down the side of the house...very nice).  Many of the top makers offer sound systems, they too are very expesivie, considering it just a sound system, but folks who want them and are willing to pay for them, seem happy. Personaly, a steroe or TV is the LAST thing I'd want in a hot tub.

I'd take a step back, and not be sold on any bells and whistles.  I'd start with finding a top quality tub that fits you physically, (Depth, size, gallons, jet arrangment), then consider waterfalls, lights and all that fluff (The novelty of these wear off quickly, trust me).

What's your buget?  How big of a tub do you think you'll want? Do you have any space restrictions? Will this sit on a deck or a pad, or inside the house?  Are you in a cold climate?

Some of the better known names, in addition to Artic are Hotspring, Sundance, Caldera. Have yuo shopped around yet? have you wet tested any of them, and have an idea of what you might like, or don't?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:17:41 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 01:30:42 pm »
Drew said it all, and very well.
Dance like nobody's watching

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 01:41:40 pm »

That is one of the scariest things I've heard.  Only scarier would be if Drew was replaced by Chad.   ;D  Just kidding.   :)   ;)

anne

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 01:51:29 pm »

That is one of the scariest things I've heard.  Only scarier would be if Drew was replaced by Chad.   ;D  Just kidding.   :)   ;)

Ew. Now that is just wrong! ;D
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 02:08:14 pm »

Thanks Brook.  ::) ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:18:51 pm »

Thanks Brook.  ::) ;)

Hey I still owe you for the hard time you gave me about my father in laws bumperless Toyota truck.   :)  Thats all this is.  And Chad... well that goes without saying.

To to OP-- I apologize for the thread hijack.  Welcome to the forum.  Good luck finding a tub.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:20:12 pm by Brookenstein »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:18:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42