What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: WHAT IF  winter storm no power?  (Read 7262 times)

Bama

WHAT IF  winter storm no power?
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:42:23 pm »
I think I should ask this question now...
What would you do in the event of a winter storm knocking out the power for days?
How would you prevent the tub from freezing?
I ask now, because I could possibly prepare ahead of time.
It is a rare occaision for a winter storm here in the deep south, but when it does happen it shuts down everything.   I think it's because our state has ONE snow plow for the entire state!  
So, let's say... everything is frozen and the power is knocked for a week, what do ya do....about the tub?

Hot Tub Forum

WHAT IF  winter storm no power?
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:42:23 pm »

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
Re: WHAT IF  winter storm no power?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:47:51 pm »
well,if it ruins ur hottub and or freezer I would call my insurance company and throw out the water and or meat. They will reimburse all damaged property.but i think you'll pay for refill of tub.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:02:11 am »
a spa with good insulation should be able to last a week + in freezing conditions with no power and not have any issues

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 05:18:22 am »
a spa with good insulation should be able to last a week + in freezing conditions with no power and not have any issues

Markee is correct, in your climate it should be no problem to go a week. Here in Northern Minnesota it's kinda a different story though. A good contigency plan is always a good idea and it really depends on the outside temp. If it's 25-35 at night and 35-45 during the day no sweat. If it's 15-25 and night and 25-35 during the day ya have to start worreing about how long it's going to be without power. But most outages here are less than an hour or so as it gets colder because snow never knocks out power, it's the rain ice and then snow thing and that happens only in the fall and spring when it's a bit warmer outside. Now as you start aproaching below 0 temps and colder the snow is so light that it also no matter how many feet you get, never takes out our power (maybe its different there) But if it is below 0 you had better worry about your house and living first and your tub second. I personaly would just throw a generator operated small electric heater or trouble light in the cabinet I think you could get a few days with this, even below 0 The next step would be to do a quick drain and RV antifreeze addition.
Retired

nicker

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »
Well first off id make sure the cover is on tight and secure and then Id cover it with a few blankets and then a tarp.   Make sure no one opens it and I think you will be fine.

Otherwise as others have said, that is what insurance is for.

k9smith

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:33:21 pm »
Our power was out from last thursday to sunday night. When it came back on the tub was at 80 degrees. The high on sunday was 20. I did not open the cover at all so I didnt help with heat loss.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:40:10 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, a standard homeowner's policy would not cover a damaged hot tub.  I would check with my insurance company before assuming it's covered.  I'm sure you could get a rider policy attached to your general policy however.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:58:15 pm »
I don't see why it wouldn't be covered, under the personal property on or off premise.
 It's always best to read your policy though.

Brewman

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 02:20:52 pm »
The big problem is not the tub itself but your motor compartment.  The actual water will stay warm enough not to freeze for many days.  The motor compartment because its not insulated and usually has vents to the outside may freeze up pretty fast.  

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:41:19 pm »
High ticket personal items, like expensive jewelry, lots of fur coats, a $6000 hot tub are most likely under a rider. This protects the insurance company from shelling out big bucks for these items in case they are damaged. Don't ever assume. Check the facts.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 05:15:52 pm »
As some have already mentioned, a spa with good insulation should be fine without power for a number of days but if you have no power for over a week in freezing conditions, I would think your house would be your first and more imminent concern.

Steve

Bama

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:57:06 pm »
thanks all for your responses! :-*

When we got the tub, I called my insurance agent addressed the subject of spa coverage.  The spa is covered under my policy.
I was thinking their may be something I could put in the tub to save it in the event of a winter storm.  
If something happened to the spa, my greatest concern is not the money, it's the problem of getting it out of my back yard!
So, thanks again for all the help, you guys are the best!

bamaredneck04

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:33:37 pm »
I just lived through this exact situation.  With the winter storm that occured last week in MO and IL, we were without power from Thursday night to last night.  When the power was restored the water temperature was fine at 75 degrees.  As Rick_in_Cleveland mentioned, the issue is in the piping and motors in the motor compartment.  I had one of the lines to the circ pump had ice in it and I had to work with it to get the ice melted.  All other lines were fine.  Got it to working and I got to get back in it last night.  

gobucks145

• Go BUCKS!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:06 pm »
I live in the St. Louis area and my power just came back on last night. It had been off since last Friday after the ice sorm. I was worried about the same thing. I didn't lift the cover until the power came back on. I powered it up and life is good again! I'm getting in now and enjoying a glass of wine! A balmy 100 degrees!
Proud to be a BUCKEYE!!!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 09:52:46 pm »
The deep south gets cold? Really?? Learn something new everyday, I reckon...
Okay, this comes from my snow and ice addled brain....I like the addition of insulation over the cover, at LEAST along the middle seam(s), along with a weighted down tarp. If the weather is forecast to be well below freezing for several days/weeks and power's out with no light at the end of the tunnel or in your house, grab a couple blankets, open the equipment compartment, and get to stuffin' more insulation in. Close 'er up and cross your fingers. In the event of adding something like that to the compartment, however, I'd say flip the tub breakers to the OFF position so there's no chance of a fire starting if power comes on while you're at work. Also, leave a REMINDER for yourself that when you have lights in the house to REMOVE said insulation and turn tub power back ON.
How's that?  :D (yay, me!)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 09:52:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42