What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: LA Spas & Artesian Island Series  (Read 7340 times)

brentp

LA Spas & Artesian Island Series
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:51:56 pm »
Hi,

My wife and I have been searching for a new Hot Tub for a few weeks now to replace our 14 year old SPA.  We are looking for a unit for just the 2 of us, and are limited in space to no more than 7' x 7'.  We have dry tested a lot of SPAs.  Anyway, this past weekend we stopped by the local LA Spas dealer and tested the Allure III.  We really liked it, liked the dealer, and were very close to making a move on this, but felt a bit more research was in order.  So, a few questions came up, so thought I'd asked the experts here.

1)  Where does LA SPA fit in the brand curve (eg; top 10, bottom 10, . . . in the middle)?

2)  What is the 'average retail' for a fully jetted dual pump Allure III? (one thing I HATE about spa shopping is the lack of any MSRP data on any of these SPAs - you are really left to the wolves if you don't do your homework).

3)  After looking at LA SPAs, . . . I just happen to look through the Artesian Island series brochure, . . . and to my surprise, almost all of the Island Series are configured similar to the LA SPAs' line up.  What gives?  Whom copied whom?  Are they 'equals', or is one superior to the other?

4)  Anyone hear of or use Nature's Way enzyme Clear Choice product (natureswayspa.com or clearchoiceeast.com)?  This dealer is affiliated somehow, but does highly recommends, has lots of customers on this system and swears by it.

Our top picks so far w/comments:

LA SPAs Allure III – need to know quality info and relative pricing
Sundance Capri – Nice unit, local dealer’s a jerk (to put it nicely)
Caldera Martinique – Lounger a bit tight, but workable

Rejected:

Hot Springs Jetsetter – like Moto, but too small.  Non-Moto seats weakly jetted.
D1 Triad – Lounger too tight for me
Vita Joli - Nice layout, but quality was suspect
Marquis - none really stuck out a possibilities
Other whose names escape me (lower end units)

Still to look at;

Arctic Fox
Artesian Island Series Santa Cruz

Any others we should be considering?

Thanks in advance, . . . we also looked at a 3 yr old used Artesian Opal this weekend, . . . unfortunately, that is not going to work out (unit was not functioning properly), . . . so we are back to looking at new units and trying to close in this soon.

Hot Tub Forum

LA Spas & Artesian Island Series
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:51:56 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: LA Spas & Artesian Island Series
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:42 pm »
brentp

I'm not real familar with LA spas so I won't say much other than I think they are a middle of the pack spa from what I've heard.

Another spa you may want to check out is the Bullfrog 451 it falls in line with the Caldera Martinique and the Sundance Capri.  Its also less $$$ :)

Good luck with your search
Bullfrog 451

anne

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:05:49 pm »
Sounds like you already have done a fair amount of research! From my reading here and  my own shopping research, I'd agree that LA spas is in the middle of the pack. I liked them when I wet tested, but the seats were almost too tall/big for me. There are some happy LA owners here somewhere.

As an Arctic owner, I'd certainly encourage you to wet test the Arctic Fox, but it sounds like a lot of the tubs that you rejected already were not comfortable because of tight fit. Arctics tend to be pretty moulded, and being pretty small framed, I like that. Many people dont. The Cub looks more comfortable to me than the Fox, but I have not tried either one.

Good luck!
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:44:59 pm »
The person who designed the Island series came from LA, that's the reason for the look alike. Artesian makes a good tub and I'm sure LA does too.

MACK

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:30:01 pm »
http://www.hotdirecttubs.com/spashome.html   ok I am no dealer, just look my self and after a long three month search, called hawkeye spa, looking at a barefoot spa for just me and the wife. this seem to fit our needs, I am looking at the body lounge 57 BL, seem to be hard to find a small spa. and can cost as much as a six seater. even though this is less than I was quoted today at factory me picking it up,, I will call again tomorrow to see what  is the difference. click on the factory on that directtub site it will take you to the barefoot 57 Bl 5 yr warrenty is what my local deal said on part and labor. I know more on this later will keep you posted if you like....I called artesian and dealer in my area close fo winter, that was a choice I'd like to see. other spas looked good on photo just to small dry test, not deep enought either,,, good luck

geenosr

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 10:10:08 pm »
Hi Brentp,

I was in your shoes about 2-3 weeks ago. I did a lot of research, including this forum, wet tested many tubs (most important!) and ended up with the Allure III tub. My wife and I liked the size, and I especially liked the power of the jets--the 2 seats have the most power and help for my ailing back. It holds temperature very well even in cold air, and I am in it every day! I was a little disapointed with the large foot jet on the lounger, but the 2 foot jets when sitting in the seat are plenty powerful. I was also disapointed that there was not an ozonater that came standard, but so far I have not needed one--We use the spa frog with the bromine and mineral cartridge. By the way, one of the forum members told me that LA had the design on the Allure III first, and Artesian copied the design from LA. I don't know if it's true or not, but I do know I like my tub, and feel like it was the right tub for me and my small family. Feel free to reply to me if you have any questions I didn't address in this post.

geenosr

brentp

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:42:05 am »
Hi Brentp,

I was in your shoes about 2-3 weeks ago. I did a lot of research, including this forum, wet tested many tubs (most important!) and ended up with the Allure III tub.

geenosr

Would you mind if I asked how much you paid for your Allure III and the pump/jet configuration that you got.  For the record, I was quoted $6950. for the 2 pump, 37 jet (50 port) version.  This price was the same for the floor model or if we ordered.  If we do decide on the floor model, the dealer with add in some extras like steps, cover lifter, and an extra filter set.  Just trying to determine if there is still negotiation room or if this was his best deal (he is not a main street dealer and his business model is one as a discounter and it is ‘worth the trip’).  ;)

Thanks for the info on how you like the tub.  For our dry test, it was one of the best fitting small SPAs we tested.  We have not wet tested yet, . . . so it will be interesting to see how the lounger foot jet works (I assume you have the 14 water port version in the foot well of the lounger?).  

Also, I'm a bit surprised the ozonator wasn’t included.  The LA SPA 'ozone mixing chamber' was a big selling point for the dealer we talked to, . . . he even had a self made ozonator demo in the office to show the difference between a standard injection ozone system, the D1 canister system, and the LA SPA mixing chamber system.  I just assumed these were standard on every LA SPA, . . . but will go back and verify that we would get this with the quoted price.

brentp

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
Ok, . . . thought I'd give an update.  Thanks for the feedback on LA SPAs.  After getting a quote on the Santa Cruz for under $5.5K with the extras, the price I was quoted for the LA SPA, and a number of comments that indicate LA SPA is a middle of the road type SPA company, . . . we’ll not go there.  If it came down to it, the Artesian Santa Cruz would be the winner between the two.

So, we are now here, . . .

1)  Arctic Fox - List ~$11K - is it worth this premium price, even if we can knock a couple of grand off of this?  I really, really liked this tub, but at that price point, we will have to pass.  
2)  Artesian Antigua  list ~ $?
3)  Sundance Capri List ~ $7.5K
4)  Caldera Martinique - on sale @ $6.5K

Our dilemma:  

The local Artesian dealer no longer stocks Artesian SPAs, he is pushing Vita and the Reflection lines really hard.  We could order an Artesian, but can't even dry test it.  Not good, . . . but we like the layout, price point, and company reputation.  We are highly leaning here, . . . but may have to drive 100s of miles round trip to dry/wet test a unit. After comparing the Santa Cruz and Antigua, we have settled on the bigger unit.  Thought is it fits our deck, . . .and likely isn’t too much more.  

Does anyone know what the Antigua with 52 jets/2 pumps or 43 jets/2 pumps really should go for roughly?  I found an post from this spring where a new store had the 40+jet/2pump version with no extras at $5K.  Even if it is a grand more, . . . this might be the winner!

The other 2 are in reserve, . . . not going to proceed any further unless we need to.

Running out of time, . . . need to get this in real soon before winter starts  :)

Thanks again!

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 11:38:55 am »
I'd be glad to help brent. Which version of the Fox are you looking at? And which options is the dealer quoting?

brentp

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 12:51:02 pm »
I'd be glad to help brent. Which version of the Fox are you looking at? And which options is the dealer quoting?

Fox Ultra ($9800.) and Fox Signature ($9000.).  Add to this the Peak Ozone ($1500) and Northern Lights ($400).  Microban was not discussed, and I did not get the price for the standard AS ozone.  

Dealer was clear that these were their list prices and would be able to do much better after I discussed more with my wife if we were still interested.  When I asked how much better, the comment was that the options pretty much become 'free'.  Hence, my thought that it could be about $2K from the total I got.

Thanks!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 02:15:36 pm »
Ok, . . . thought I'd give an update.  Thanks for the feedback on LA SPAs.  After getting a quote on the Santa Cruz for under $5.5K with the extras, the price I was quoted for the LA SPA, and a number of comments that indicate LA SPA is a middle of the road type SPA company, . . . we’ll not go there.  If it came down to it, the Artesian Santa Cruz would be the winner between the two.

So, we are now here, . . .

1)  Arctic Fox - List ~$11K - is it worth this premium price, even if we can knock a couple of grand off of this?  I really, really liked this tub, but at that price point, we will have to pass.  
2)  Artesian Antigua  list ~ $?
3)  Sundance Capri List ~ $7.5K
4)  Caldera Martinique - on sale @ $6.5K

Our dilemma:  

The local Artesian dealer no longer stocks Artesian SPAs, he is pushing Vita and the Reflection lines really hard.  We could order an Artesian, but can't even dry test it.  Not good, . . . but we like the layout, price point, and company reputation.  We are highly leaning here, . . . but may have to drive 100s of miles round trip to dry/wet test a unit. After comparing the Santa Cruz and Antigua, we have settled on the bigger unit.  Thought is it fits our deck, . . .and likely isn’t too much more.  

Does anyone know what the Antigua with 52 jets/2 pumps or 43 jets/2 pumps really should go for roughly?  I found an post from this spring where a new store had the 40+jet/2pump version with no extras at $5K.  Even if it is a grand more, . . . this might be the winner!

The other 2 are in reserve, . . . not going to proceed any further unless we need to.

Running out of time, . . . need to get this in real soon before winter starts  :)

Thanks again!

A 52 jet antiqua has 3 pumps not 2.  2 6hp and 1 3hp which runs the foot jets basically a ton of power should run in the mid sevens low 8s maybe higher as we havent sold them for awhile, alot depends on if you want synthetic siding circ pump and s/steel jets bells and whistles.   If it were me I would price out the 43 jet model with circ pump and synthetic siding leave out the s/s jets its looks only.  The only thing that conerns me is them dropping Artesian which we did also but we will continue to carry parts and service of course.  The other thing I never liked about the Island series is a 3 year warrantee for the price those tubs warrant it should be 5 years like the gold and platinum class. My 2 cents worth.  Jim

wesj53

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:55 pm »
My thoughts are that you should try and negotiate at about $7k for the Ultra and $6400 for the Signature. Then add in your options. I would recommend the Peak Ozone, since the only things I have done for the first 10 days of ownership is to add a cap of Refresh per soaker per use and then a half ounce of chlorine every 3 days. I realize the water is new but it is crystal clear and NO chlorine smell as the ozone system seems to really do it's job. I would also recommend and go with the Ultra if you decide on the Arctic. You get 14 more water jets, an extra pump, therapy air (a blower), aromatherapy for a few hundred bucks more. I think all of their shells are Microban by the way. Good luck!

brentp

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 02:37:36 pm »
My thoughts are that you should try and negotiate at about $7k for the Ultra and $6400 for the Signature. Then add in your options. I would recommend the Peak Ozone, since the only things I have done for the first 10 days of ownership is to add a cap of Refresh per soaker per use and then a half ounce of chlorine every 3 days. I realize the water is new but it is crystal clear and NO chlorine smell as the ozone system seems to really do it's job. I would also recommend and go with the Ultra if you decide on the Arctic. You get 14 more water jets, an extra pump, therapy air (a blower), aromatherapy for a few hundred bucks more. I think all of their shells are Microban by the way. Good luck!

Thanks.  I just want to make sure I understnd the difference between the Ultra and Signature.  As I read the spec,  you get added 14 air jets, the air pump (called the 3rd motor), and the aromatherapy.  Did I miss read the spec?

wesj53

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 03:06:47 pm »
Sorry my bad! You are correct, with the Ultra you get the 14 air injectors and the air blower to propel the injectors, and the aromatherapy. On either the Ultra or the Signature, you get 2 water pumps which is more than sufficient for a spa of that size. Now that I realized I erred, you may want to pocket the change and go without the air therapy if it's not a hot button for you. We like power so we like the water jets. I plan on using the air injectors primarily in late spring and summer to cool down the water as best as possible. Wet test to decide for yourself.

brentp

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:03:49 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation.  That is what we were thinking too, . . . pass on the air, although the aromatherapy is nice, but the pour in bottles would work for that.  The only thing I used air for in our old SPA was to cool it down quickly if I let it get too hot.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:03:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42