What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Microban  (Read 5542 times)

sstterry

Microban
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:22 am »
We are in the process of ordering a new Spa and were wondering if the Microban option is worth the cost.  It will be and additional $100, but more importantly it will reduce our color selection on the shell.  If it is a big benefit we will get it.  This is our first spa and we are clueless.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Microban
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:22 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Microban
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:59:38 am »
We are in the process of ordering a new Spa and were wondering if the Microban option is worth the cost.  It will be and additional $100, but more importantly it will reduce our color selection on the shell.  If it is a big benefit we will get it.  This is our first spa and we are clueless.  Any advise would be appreciated.

From Microban website:

Microban protection inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause stains and odors on the surface of the spa. The continuous antimicrobial cleaning action makes your spa surface easier to clean and keeps it cleaner between cleanings. Microban protection is not a substitute for normal water treatment chemicals.(my emphasis)

I always wonder what the benfit really is and how it is being sold.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

sstterry

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:05:38 am »
Thanks Dan,

It my understanding from research, that the only real benefit is for the area above the waterline.  Since this will be our first  spa, I don't know how common it is for the area above the waterline  to be a problem as far as cleaning.  Also is it prone to mold, algae, or other problems?

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:05:43 am »
Microban does nothing...it is sales hype.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:19:49 am »
I'm with Guzz...it's hype and not worth $100.00 on a hot tub.
I almost wonder if Microban on a tub is like stain guard on furniture. I remember paying for application on a sofa only to find out they come in treated already...good for the sales guy if he can talk you into paying for it...but it came already applied from the factory  >:(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:22:14 am by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 11:45:46 am »
If it were me, I'd skip it.  
Brewman

Slappy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:59:04 pm »
Your dichlor and mps shock treatments as well as any other chemicals that you will introduce into your spa water should be all you need to kill micros. If these aren't getting the job done, you've got bigger problems.

IBMike_2006

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:15:43 pm »
Is the Marquis IONIZER system the same thing as the Microban system?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
I've owned a microban tub for 3 years now. I just had a shower installed with it.  I guess, I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 02:11:11 pm »
The website is pretty interesting. http://www.microban.com/index.html
It looks like there is substantial support for the effectiveness of the product, but I think you would have to look at things (tubs, showers, counter tops, etc.) side by side and do specific microbial testing to see the real differences. As far as the tub, it won't effect your sanitization methods. Ozone on the other hand, will. ;)  Or should I say should...could...some say so... ::)  ask Vinny...yep that's it ask Vinny
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 02:14:23 pm »
Is the Marquis IONIZER system the same thing as the Microban system?

Microban is applied or impregnated into the shell.  

I believe you can also get countertops with it, and probably all sorts of other things like cutting boards, etc.....

Makes you wonder how we've survived all theses thousands of years.
Brewman

tileman

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 02:37:43 pm »
Your dichlor and mps shock treatments as well as any other chemicals that you will introduce into your spa water should be all you need to kill micros. If these aren't getting the job done, you've got bigger problems.

Slappy put it best. :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 03:32:42 pm »
Anything I have heard or read regarding Microban shells, except for the sales pitch or hype, is that it does no more than a non Microban acrylic shell.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 03:44:25 pm »
Someone on here previously served in the Navy on Subs and said that they replaced the shower floors with a microban surface and it made all the difference in the world.  I'm just sayin...... 8-)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

clover

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 07:35:25 pm »
Microban does have "some" applications that are beneficial.  It is impregnated and made part of the material during the manufacturing process.  Its purpose is to retard, prevent or inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface of material impregnated by the chemical microban.

Imagine childrens toys that come in contact with everything, hands, mouths, sneezing etc., or better yet, the little rubber duckie that we are all familiar with, it too is coated with microban.  It is intended to prevent the "growth" or "survival" of bacteria on the treated surface.  It does NOT make the surface "sanitary", but it does inhibit the multiplication of germs on such a surface.

The question at hand, is it appropriate for the acrylic surface of a Hot Tub.  It does not replace the need for chemical sanitizers, or diligent water treatment and care.  It is probably as important as having the steeering wheel in your automobile treated with microban.

IF it was really a "large" benefit, then it would be in ALL acrylic shells used by ALL manufacturers.  Does it work, yes.  Is there there a cost to include it in the manufacturing process, yes.  Thus, it does justifiy a cost to include it, but if it was really beneficial, I can only imagine that it would be standard with ALL manufacturers long before now.

Would I pay extra for it to be included, NO. The benefit derived is very marginal, but then it does make one's Hot Tub sound to be "better" than another, if little is known about the subject matter in the mind of the shopper.  That makes it sales hype.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 07:35:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42