What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Aria  (Read 4654 times)

wlgjr

HS Aria
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:34:56 pm »
I like the reviews of the HS Aria.

This is a new "Anniversary" model.  How much should I have to pay for this special model? Is it worth a premium over the Vanguard?  Appreciate your recommendations.

Hot Tub Forum

HS Aria
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:34:56 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: HS Aria
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:11 pm »
The features vs. a Vanguard:

Stereo
Bella Fontana water feature
TriX Filters

Together adds up to significantly more money than a Vanguard.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

SpaNE

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:02:12 pm »
I like the Aria but have only seen it on the website.  What is the price difference between a Vanguard and the Aria?  Is the Stereo a spAudio?  (better/worse) How does it sound?

In additon to what hottupdan lists I would add the following subjective benefits:

Only 1 seat devoted to the moto massage (adds variety)
Lounger
More hydromassage jets

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:17:03 pm »
Aria should be around 2K more than the Vanguard.  I wouldn't pay an extra 2K for one less seat + built in stereo.  It all comes down to personal preference and what you're willing to pay for "extras".  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

SpaNE

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:19:46 pm »
Aria should be around 2K more than the Vanguard.  I wouldn't pay an extra 2K for one less seat + built in stereo.  It all comes down to personal preference and what you're willing to pay for "extras".  

How much does a built in stereo usually cost?  Why does this stereo sound?

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:10:31 pm »
It is my understanding that the stereo on the HS Aria is not the Spaudio II system.  The Aria has the more conventional pop-up speakers rather than the transducers fixed to the underwater portion of the tub shell.  I can't comment on the sound as I have not had the opportunity to hear it.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:50 pm »
We've had one up and running with AutoFresh in one of my showrooms for a month now. Sound is great, and we've sold SEVERAL Autofresh systems on new and pre-existing spas because of it. Haven't sold any Aria's yet, but its configuration should be a good seller.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

shabba34

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 09:34:54 pm »
We've had one up and running with AutoFresh in one of my showrooms for a month now. Sound is great, and we've sold SEVERAL Autofresh systems on new and pre-existing spas because of it. Haven't sold any Aria's yet, but its configuration should be a good seller.
The music system IMO is mediocre at best.  Watkins has already been there done that with the original TR Caspian and the fidelity was lacking then just as it is now, including all Caldera Aquatic Melodies systems.  Watkins is at the top of the list when it comes to building a quality hot tub, but they are far from the top with their attempts at music. :o  Sorry Watkins. :-*  

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 10:05:24 pm »
what is the main attraction to a stereo built in a hot tub?

i mean is it ever gonna be as good as a traditional
Sony/Bose combo with a remote?

are the primary attractions waterproofness and "not having to find a
place to put a stereo unit on the patio"....because most stereo units
are not outdoor units?

is it possible to have outdoor bose speakers in place and use like an
IPOD with a cradle?.....and then that would solve the weather problem
because the IPOD is so small and easily tranported back into the house
after soaking?

i am a rookie hot tub user/consumer but is't a hot tub built-in
stereo/ built-in speaker system usually gonna be "on the blink"
more often than any other part of the tub?

i don't think a built-in stereo is an option I would be intersted in.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:17:35 pm by Zep »

SpaNE

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 12:12:38 am »
what is the main attraction to a stereo built in a hot tub?

Good question.  I'm not sure I know the answer and that is why I am asking questions and doing the research.

IMO there are a few possible benefits:

1. If a spa has a builit in subwoofer/transducers/pop up speakers, etc., you may be able to hear the music better with the jets on versus speakers that are mounted outside and further away from the spa.  The other side benefit is that you won't need to turn it up as load and possibly upset the neighbors.

2. A built in spa stereo usually has a built-in or floating remote to control the music and volume.  Fully waterproof.  If I used a home type stereo I would worry about accidently dropping the remote in the water.

SpaNE

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 12:17:13 am »
The music system IMO is mediocre at best.  Watkins has already been there done that with the original TR Caspian and the fidelity was lacking then just as it is now, including all Caldera Aquatic Melodies systems.  Watkins is at the top of the list when it comes to building a quality hot tub, but they are far from the top with their attempts at music. :o  Sorry Watkins. :-*  

Thanks for the reply.  Obviously audio quality is very subjective.  Pool_boy indicates the sound is great, and you indicate mediocre at best.  In your opinion are there any spas that have very good or excellent audio systems?

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 07:16:08 am »
SpaNE

If a built in stereo is a consideration, I think a "wet ear" test would be a good idea.  My dealer in DC had two tubs set up with water and the SpaudioI and Spaudio II systems.  It was very helpful to me to actually see and hear these systems, use the remotes, see how the systems were integrated into the tub controls, etc.  It would also be a good idea if you brought your own music along to test it in the systems you look at.

Music quality is subjective.  I am very happy with the quality of the Spaudio II system, however, I have also noted that the use of the two remote external speakers set a low volume (which are mounted on my patio) added a lot to the overall quality of the sound.  You may find that you do not like the transducer system and think the pop-ups or a completely external system is the one for you.  You won't know til you hear it.  
So, take those ears for a swim!  :)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 10:43:09 am »
Clearly the sound is subjective.  I don't think it is the same system as on Caldera and the old Caspian, as there is a subwoofer now.  To me the sound is good.  Customers like it.  The FM even works in the showroom, which my Jacuzzi stereos never did (when we sold Jacuzzi).  

Price should be about $1000 more than the Vanguard.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

shabba34

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 10:53:58 am »
Clearly the sound is subjective.  I don't think it is the same system as on Caldera and the old Caspian, as there is a subwoofer now.  To me the sound is good.  Customers like it.  The FM even works in the showroom, which my Jacuzzi stereos never did (when we sold Jacuzzi).  

Price should be about $1000 more than the Vanguard.

Dan, I must have a more sophisticated sound pallet than you! ;D  If you enjoy quieter music, then the system sounds fine, but it still has a problem at higher volumes.  I'm speaking of the Arias music system, not the Spaudio II.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 11:03:13 am »
Dan, I must have a more sophisticated sound pallet than you! ;D  If you enjoy quieter music, then the system sounds fine, but it still has a problem at higher volumes.  I'm speaking of the Arias music system, not the Spaudio II.

Spa stereo systems are probably pretty much alike. They are not designed for the audiophile but are there for the people who simply don't want to set up their own outdoor stereo but want it all included in the spa. I've seen many technical people state how they're ok but nothing special and my response (to myself usually) is "they're not expected to be a killer system". If they were to put in a much better system the costs would go up and people would be ?ing why stereo spas were sooo expensive (and they're not a cheap option to begin with).

Now I can do without a stero in my spa but the reality is there is a certain % of people who will come into the showroom convinced they want one so you really want to have an offering on hand to give them what they want.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 11:03:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42