What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine lock is back!  (Read 4135 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Chlorine lock is back!
« on: December 02, 2006, 03:10:26 pm »
Ok it must be the water companies winter brew! I think my chlorine lock "problem" is back.

Last winter I had a problem with my chlorine staying forever, as a newbie I was kind of wondering what was wrong but didn't find a cause or a cure. I have 3 week old water and I put about 3 PPM (possibly slightly more) in Thursday night and this morning 36 hours later it measured 3 PPM. PH is at 7.6 and I don't know the other parameters.

Well I did notice last year that the tub stayed crystal clear during the whole ordeal - never did it get cloudy while I had a chlorine reading. So this year I'm not going to fret about it. If it stays like this I have a chlorinated tub that acts like a bromine tub. I can cut down on chlorine usage and not have to go out there every other day ... we'll see how it goes!

Anybody want to buy some NJ winter brew tap water?

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine lock is back!
« on: December 02, 2006, 03:10:26 pm »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Re: Chlorine lock is back!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 05:59:20 pm »
Maybe you decide to use Bromine from now on
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:59:32 pm by hot_tub_Frank »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:35:07 pm »
Nah, chlorine is cheaper especially if I only need to put 3 PPM in once a month! ;D

Actually my tub doesn't have a feeder in it and I don't like floaters.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:22 pm »
Vinny,
is clorin really cheaper????

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:52:08 pm »
Vinny,

I've been having the same problem.  Changed water a month ago, water is clear, but I could not get the chlorine down for a few days after shocking.  I even left the cover off during the day, figuring it would burn itself out.  Now it's ok, after all this waiting.  All other readings are good.  
Good luck with your water.  Did you go in tonight since the temp is down? ( it's cold outside )  We are practicly neighbors with you living in NJ.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 10:45:41 pm »
Vinny,

Yup, $30 for 5 lbs that lasts about a year. I also use MPS to shock and once in a while some clarifier. I think I did a calculation once and it came out to about $110 a year when you add ALL the chems.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 10:47:01 pm »
Vinny,

I've been having the same problem.  Changed water a month ago, water is clear, but I could not get the chlorine down for a few days after shocking.  I even left the cover off during the day, figuring it would burn itself out.  Now it's ok, after all this waiting.  All other readings are good.  
Good luck with your water.  Did you go in tonight since the temp is down? ( it's cold outside )  We are practicly neighbors with you living in NJ.

Unfortuantely, it's still a little too windy. I went in once last year and it was hell getting out and I try not to go in with a wind.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 11:01:05 pm »
Vinny,

Yup, $30 for 5 lbs that lasts about a year. I also use MPS to shock and once in a while some clarifier. I think I did a calculation once and it came out to about $110 a year when you add ALL the chems.

I looked up my old post  - it cost me $151/ year for all my water care including the cost of an ozonator and I see I wrote that chlorine lasts 8 to 10 months.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 11:27:44 pm »
Chlorine look here too for the first time?  We had company about two weeks ago and before they came I made certain to have my water straight and prior to their arrival I did have a small amount of chlorine in the tub.  Well, due to many activities nobody went in the tub.  I then got sick for a little over a week and just yesterday started feeling better so I thought I would check the tub..  Yup!  It still has chlorine levels (when under normal circumstances the chlorine would have all dissapated in less than a few days) so it MUST be something the treatment guys are doing at the plant.  Would be interesting to find out what this is all about.  I do have a buddy who runs a plant in Chicago maybe I need to ring him up....
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 11:48:49 pm »
Just throwing this out but I remember someone in the pool store telling me about phosphates causing problems with chlorine readings. I don't remember all the incidentals, and I don't know how you could test for it, but Leslies makes a product to remove phosphates from swimming pool water. I guess depending on the source of your water, it is possible.  

There you go Vinny,....another experiment! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:34 am »
Just throwing this out but I remember someone in the pool store telling me about phosphates causing problems with chlorine readings. I don't remember all the incidentals, and I don't know how you could test for it, but Leslies makes a product to remove phosphates from swimming pool water. I guess depending on the source of your water, it is possible.  

There you go Vinny,....another experiment! ;)

Maybe thats it but I ain't experimenting in the winter!

Although I knew phosphates as algea food. A pool forum website warned about using MPS in a outdoor pool because it will raise phosphates and algea will thrive even if you have chlorine ... Maybe you got something there, I used MPS last week to shock!

Good Job Boni!!! Thanks!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42