What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I have a problem with the trip charge when...  (Read 5468 times)

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
I have a problem with the trip charge when...
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:21:13 pm »
I have to take the the side off to fix a problem the tech caused. Before Thanksgiving, I had placed a service call about a noisy circ pump on my two year old Jacuzzi. They were helpful, even had me try it without the filters in to make sure a clogged filter wasn't the problem. They took a $25 trip charge via credit card over the phone, a tech came out and problem solved.

I was gone for nearly a week, get back and am tubbing last night. Turn on the self-installed (when tub was new) LED light and no light. Almost called in another service call, but figured I'd take a quick look and make sure it wasn't just a bulb change issue. Come home from work today, take the side off and there is the light hanging from the wires by the control box. Apparently, the tech removed it for easier access to the circ pump and never put it back in.

This is not a huge job by any means, but if I am going to pay for warranty work I'd prefer to have it done correctly and completely.

In a past life, I serviced and was service manager of an officer products company maintaining and repairing copiers, fax machines, cash registers, etc. I understand the plight of the service tech but I really didn't want to be troubleshooting the hottub today.

I debated just calling it in before checking myself, but I know how the "it worked perfect until you touched it" line sounds. And with an aftermarket LED light that is self installed I really didn't want to hear that the main board took a dump and they are blaming the 12v lamp.

I guess if that's the worst experience I have owning a hot tub I can count my blessings.

Hot Tub Forum

I have a problem with the trip charge when...
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:21:13 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: I have a problem with the trip charge when...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 02:26:54 pm »
Good story.

My beef would not be about the trip charge.  It would be about the tech not reinstalling the light.

It drives me nuts when techs do incomplete work.  Of course this has nothing to do with hot tubs.  It could be any serivcxe job from contruction to auto to restaurants.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:40:28 pm »
 Nice to see you fixed the problem yourself.

But I would at least call them and let them know so it doesnt happen again to someone else.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:40:29 pm »
agreed!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:42:58 pm »
agreed!!
ditto

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:43:23 pm »
I think service charges for warrenty work are insane and a crock.

Unforutnatley what I think doesn't change reality.  I'd pass the experince polielty onto them. Maybe they'll refund the charge. (yea right). Or perhaps actually provide warrenty service without a fee next time (if needed).   Or at the very least, an Opps sorry. We'll talk to the tech, so some other customer doesn't get poor service.

07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:17:08 pm »
I don't know if any of you remember me whining about the fuel surcharge imposed by my plumber (my high electric bill/water pump episode)...but the plumbers unplugged my freezer, I guess to use the electric for something they were doing.....and they forgot to plug it back in  >:( >:( Lucky I found it that night..it had been off about 5 hours. I would have been real fiesty when they came back the next day if my entire freezer had defrosted! :o And they would have had a
ruined food surcharge!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 09:06:32 pm »
I don't know if any of you remember me whining about the fuel surcharge imposed by my plumber (my high electric bill/water pump episode)...but the plumbers unplugged my freezer, I guess to use the electric for something they were doing.....and they forgot to plug it back in  >:( >:( Lucky I found it that night..it had been off about 5 hours. I would have been real fiesty when they came back the next day if my entire freezer had defrosted! :o And they would have had a
ruined food surcharge!

Maybe that's the thing to do ... call up the dealer and request his credit card for the repair that you had to do because of his tech. Make it for $65 an hour with 4 hour minimum ... explain how you like to be paid for services to fix screw ups!

I think it's all a crock too. They sell you a tub, they make a profit based on what you paid and if you need them to repair under warranty they charge you extra. It's one thing if you didn't buy it from them but how much is word of mouth advertising worth ... how much is not badmouthing worth - I'll take happy customes every time.

And as far as Boni's story, that's plain stupidity on the plumbers part!

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 09:26:35 pm »

On a better note, I have been contacted by the company and they expressed a sincere apology and offered me several maintenance items for the trouble.

I have been pleased with the overall experience with this dealer and while not enamored with the trip charge philosophy, I would buy from them again. I am happy that it was just a matter of putting the light back in, not something more serious.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:03:00 am »
sounds like you are being taken care of well

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 10:23:41 am »
Just had my circ pump changed also.  Six minutes from when the tech drove into the driveway to when he was ready to leave.  They charge a twenty-five dollar trip charge less ten dollars because I requested the service on line.  So it cost me fifteen dollars...this is new...I hadn't been charged before, but I find it reasonable.  I always find the techs competent, helpful and friendly.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 10:30:23 am »
The place we bought our Optima from didn't charge a trip fee.   They are out of the spa biz now, and a new dealer is now open in this area.  Last week they came out to replace the temp. sensor.  
 Found out that this new dealer charges a trip fee- I had to hand over $55 for that.

Somewhat annoying, but what can you do?  

At least Sundance paid for parts and install labor.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:30:53 am by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:03 am »
I'm getting near the end of the warranty period for plumbing and electronics.  I've been keeping an eye on this circ pump for about six months because it was getting noisy.  It stopped working at my last water change, but I was able to get it going by tapping on it.  I'm happy it went before the warranty expired.  I always figured the circ pump would need to be changed periodically.  With the new one in place, I now see how little the pump was pumping.  When it deteriorates over time, you just don't recognize it.  I disconnected and removed my ozonator at the same time.  Although I am a believer in the benefits of ozone, I also feel it does as much damage...so I am gong without for now.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 11:14:20 am »
Just had my circ pump changed also.  Six minutes from when the tech drove into the driveway to when he was ready to leave.  They charge a twenty-five dollar trip charge less ten dollars because I requested the service on line.  So it cost me fifteen dollars...this is new...I hadn't been charged before, but I find it reasonable.  I always find the techs competent, helpful and friendly.
I find it literally impossible for that job to be done in six minutes.

He has to get out of the van.
Walk to door and ring door bell.
Talk to customer.
Get tools and parts and walk to spa.
Shut off power.
Remove door (have you ever counted how many screws he has to remove?).
Remove circ pump.
Replace circ pump.
Replace door (without inspecting or testing any other components).
Speak with customer.
Get paperwork signed?
Return to van with tools and parts.
Exit.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 01:32:47 pm »
I'm getting near the end of the warranty period for plumbing and electronics.  I've been keeping an eye on this circ pump for about six months because it was getting noisy.  It stopped working at my last water change, but I was able to get it going by tapping on it.  I'm happy it went before the warranty expired.  I always figured the circ pump would need to be changed periodically.  With the new one in place, I now see how little the pump was pumping.  When it deteriorates over time, you just don't recognize it.  I disconnected and removed my ozonator at the same time.  Although I am a believer in the benefits of ozone, I also feel it does as much damage...so I am gong without for now.

I watched both time when service was performed on my spa.  The circ. pump looks like a pretty easy replace, and the temperature probe wasn't too bad either, and the tech gave me pointers should I ever need to do my own work.  
 He checked my circ pump while he was there- said that they often run hot when they're on the way out.  
 I still have about 20 months left on the warranty.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 01:32:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42