What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Forever Floor  (Read 7395 times)

hotstuffbaby

Forever Floor
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:28:00 am »
Another question, already!  Reading some great posts regarding Arctic Spas, I am intrigued by the idea of what they call the "Forever Floor", a fiberglass composite floor which supposedly eliminates the need to build a deck or pour a concrete slab.  It's the foundation for the hot tub which sits on top.  Anyone have any experience with such a thing?  Although I am intrigued, I am also somewhat skeptical.  Who knows about these and any wear n' tear, problems, other experiences using one of these without any other decking or patio under it?

Thanks-
Hot Stuff Baby

Hot Tub Forum

Forever Floor
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:28:00 am »

anne

Re: Forever Floor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:10:13 am »
Hi!

My tub has the forever floor, and I have no reason to complain. Arctic reps swear up and down that you can put the thing on dirt and it wont void your warranty, as long as it is level. I'd say it is a benefit if you want to not pour concrete, but if you plan to have the tub on concrete, then it is not a big deal. Mine is on gravel, so I feel better knowing that I have the forever floor. I would not be interested in putting a tub on dirt only because I think it would look nasty, but if you want to, I guess you can.

One complaint that I have, and this is just my eco- conscience coming to the surface- I cannot imagine that the fiberglass that the base is made of can be good for the environment, either in manufacturing or disposal in 20 years. But until I stop driving a car with rubber tires, and wear no leather and eat no meat, and buy only second hand clothes and only biodegradeable detergents, I guess I'll accept that I am killing the environment like everybody else- just less than average.
Dance like nobody's watching

anne

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:12:22 am »
I'll add that the main reason I have the forever floor is that I bought a floor model that came with it. I like the extra security, but if I bought a tub to order, I may not have spent extra on that feature.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:45 am »
Hi!

My tub has the forever floor, and I have no reason to complain. Arctic reps swear up and down that you can put the thing on dirt and it wont void your warranty, as long as it is level. I'd say it is a benefit if you want to not pour concrete, but if you plan to have the tub on concrete, then it is not a big deal. Mine is on gravel, so I feel better knowing that I have the forever floor. I would not be interested in putting a tub on dirt only because I think it would look nasty, but if you want to, I guess you can.
One complaint that I have, and this is just my eco- conscience coming to the surface- I cannot imagine that the fiberglass that the base is made of can be good for the environment, either in manufacturing or disposal in 20 years. But until I stop driving a car with rubber tires, and wear no leather and eat no meat, and buy only second hand clothes and only biodegradeable detergents, I guess I'll accept that I am killing the environment like everybody else- just less than average.

Anne you forgot to add using plastic toilet paper to your list.

As nice of a feature as a fiberglass solid floor or ABS/synthetic or whatever it has floor. In my experiemce it has just never really been an issue as long as your tub sits on a good solid level base. I personaly would make sure of that no matter what. Concrete keeps the feet clean. Wood works well, pea gravel with pavers, there are several great bases out there, make sure you use one.
Retired

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:57:48 am »
I'll add that the main reason I have the forever floor is that I bought a floor model that came with it. I like the extra security, but if I bought a tub to order, I may not have spent extra on that feature.

Anne, congratulations on becoming a Senior Member!!! :) :D :P

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 07:49:59 am »
One complaint that I have, and this is just my eco- conscience coming to the surface- I cannot imagine that the fiberglass that the base is made of can be good for the environment, either in manufacturing or disposal in 20 years.  

Wouldn't that same argument apply to your shell, and the cabinet if it's synthetic?
Brewman

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:13:08 am »
Hi hot stuff; I'm a Tundra owner and did install mine on 2" of stone since my backyard layout did not lend itself to pouring more concrete. I insisted that the dealer sign the delivery papers that my site was leveled to mfg specs so that the warranty could not be broken. The dealer guys told me at the time they had never seen a non-concrete (paver) site prepared as well as mine - which I mention not to boast - but to indicate that a perfectly level site can be attained with $30 worth of stone.

I will be posting pics here in the next day or two (as time permits) so that you can see my finished product. I'm not sure of another mfg who will warranty the base and the shell for as long as Arctic will without building some sort of foundation floor. So it was a selling point for me personally, but as others will argue, if you go the paver, concrete, or plastic block route, the standard ABS bottoms should suffice. ABS is a tough product, but not as strong as fiberglass IMO.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:09 am »
wes, good to see you back.  I was beginning to think that you were all finished here.  Hope to see you stick around longer!!!    

I couldnt agree with you more.  I love the fibreglass bottom, this way I never have to worry about anything.  It is a strong material that corvette believes in, so I believe in.

MarKee

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:42:32 pm »
I know there are other brands that have a similar base.  Marquis has the DuraBase which is a high impact acrylic that is steel reinforced with no wood touching the ground.  I think Coleman has a similar base as well.

anne

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 01:59:36 pm »

Anne, congratulations on becoming a Senior Member!!! :) :D :P

holy cr@p, I guess I do talk to much! ;D

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:44 pm »
wes, good to see you back.  I was beginning to think that you were all finished here.  Hope to see you stick around longer!!!    

I couldnt agree with you more.  I love the fibreglass bottom, this way I never have to worry about anything.  It is a strong material that corvette believes in, so I believe in.

Thanks bosco; just been very busy lately and will continue to do so as I have a lot of business going on in the month of December. Add in the holidays and I'm afraid there won't be a lot of time for spa forums. Regarding similar floors (ABS), they are indeed but not as strong as fiberglass. Is fiberglass overkill on a spa floor? Maybe, but I liked the fact I only had to invest $30 vs. $500-700 for concrete or wood decking. Pressure treated wood was an option, but as you can see from my pictures (just posted), no stone even shows once the landscaping is completed. So, I"m happy.

anne

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 10:07:03 pm »
One complaint that I have, and this is just my eco- conscience coming to the surface- I cannot imagine that the fiberglass that the base is made of can be good for the environment, either in manufacturing or disposal in 20 years.  

Wouldn't that same argument apply to your shell, and the cabinet if it's synthetic?

I suppose, at least in regards to the shell, but my cabinet is cedar. My point was not that the rest of the tub *IS* eco friendly- even the energy used to heat it is another slap in the face of mother nature. But the more that we do to consciously reduce our use of resources the better. All other things being equal, and tub without forever floor is less wasteful than one with it. Mine being a floor model- well, the forever floor was there, so I took it.

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 10:11:03 pm »
  I am confused, are you guys/girls talking about the ABS pan attached to the spa or a certain type of subfloor to place your spa on?
  My Jacuzzi has a fully enclosed ABS pan. I think there main purpose is to keep water from getting to the pressure treated lumber and help with some added stength.
  If I read some of your posts correctly, you said that it was ok to place your spa directly on the Earth if you have one of these. I've never heard of doing that before nor would I condown(?) it.
  Every structure no matter how well built it is needs a sound foundation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:12:58 pm by tileman »

anne

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 10:15:35 pm »
 I am confused, are you guys/girls talking about the ABS pan attached to the spa or a certain type of subfloor to place your spa on?
  My Jacuzzi has a fully enclosed ABS pan. I think there main purpose is to keep water from getting to the pressure treated lumber and help with some added stength.
  If I read some of your posts correctly, you said that it was ok to place your spa directly on the Earth if you have one of these. I've never heard of doing that before nor would I condown(?) it.
  Every structure no matter how well built it is needs a sound foundation.

They were comparing ABS to the fiberglass that the Arctic "forever floor" is made of. Arctic's is fiberglass, and one of it's selling points is that as long as you have a level surface, you can put the tub anywhere and the floor with last "forever"

tileman

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 10:22:50 pm »
They were comparing ABS to the fiberglass that the Arctic "forever floor" is made of. Arctic's is fiberglass, and one of it's selling points is that as long as you have a level surface, you can put the tub anywhere and the floor with last "forever"

I'm going to have to read some more about this on their website. I can't see how they can warranty the shell if you don't have some kind of foundation.
The floor might last "forever" but in what kind of condition and what about the rest of the spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 10:22:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42