What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why Thanksgiving is no longer my favorite holiday.  (Read 4394 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Why Thanksgiving is no longer my favorite holiday.
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »
Well, the new patio is all finished and the new Envoy was delivered right on time this Wednesday.  It started raining as the guys set up the tub,and installed the Spaudio.  The electrician was to come by at 5pm to finish connecting it up.
The rain gets worse.
The Electrician calls at 4pm and says he has this ridiculous phobia that involves torrential downpours and 220 current.  He promises to be here Friday morning after Thanksgiving after he runs to the supply house for a few extra things he needs.

I'm up bright and early Friday morning, standing at the tub with my chemicals and test kit ready.
The Electrician calls and says all the supply houses are closed because of the holiday and he can't get what he needs.  NO HOOKUP TIL MONDAY!

So much for a long holiday weekend in the new tub. :(
(I wonder how cold 55 degree well water really is?)

My old tub was pulled out 5 weeks ago for the renovovations.
Seems like 5 months ago.
I'm definately going into withdrawl.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Why Thanksgiving is no longer my favorite holiday.
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Why Thanksgiving is no longer my favorite holi
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:32:50 pm »
I guess Home Depot or Lowes isn't around your neck of the woods. I do know professional electricians really don't like to use them but in a pinch ...

I know that my friend installed mine with stuff not available from either HD or Lowes, maybe that is your case too.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:33:14 pm by Vinny »

Richs100

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:04 pm »
Vinny:

That was the first thing out of my mouth today.  Why not go to Home Depot or Lowes....   Apparently, my electrician feels the same way yours did.  He said they did not carry what he wanted and he didn't want to use something that could cause a problem later on.  

I suggested heavy duty extention cords for the weekend.  He was not excited about that idea either.

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
Well, the new patio is all finished and the new Envoy was delivered right on time this Wednesday.  It started raining as the guys set up the tub,and installed the Spaudio.  The electrician was to come by at 5pm to finish connecting it up.
The rain gets worse.
The Electrician calls at 4pm and says he has this ridiculous phobia that involves torrential downpours and 220 current.  He promises to be here Friday morning after Thanksgiving after he runs to the supply house for a few extra things he needs.

I'm up bright and early Friday morning, standing at the tub with my chemicals and test kit ready.
The Electrician calls and says all the supply houses are closed because of the holiday and he can't get what he needs.  NO HOOKUP TIL MONDAY!

So much for a long holiday weekend in the new tub. :(
(I wonder how cold 55 degree well water really is?)

My old tub was pulled out 5 weeks ago for the renovovations.
Seems like 5 months ago.
I'm definately going into withdrawl.
Sorry things didn't work out for you. :(

I'm not sure how comfortable you are working with wires but if the 220 is already ran and buried, the final hook-up is pretty easy. Your manual should have a step by step diagram that's pretty simple. JUST REMEMBER NOT TO FLIP THE BREAKER UNTIL ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE, obviously. Other than that, if it's not "hot", there's no worries.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:35:48 pm »
ummmmmmmmmmmmm, if the electrician needs to pick up supplies to finish the job, what do you think the chances are that the homeowner just happens to have them laying around?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tileman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 11:39:58 pm »
ummmmmmmmmmmmm, if the electrician needs to pick up supplies to finish the job, what do you think the chances are that the homeowner just happens to have them laying around?

Are you refering to me? :-?
Maybe a better Q is what are the supplys needed to finish? :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:40:53 pm by tileman »

anne

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 11:49:49 pm »
Is it that Home Depot and Lowes cannot get what electricians want, or is it that wholesale supply houses are cheaper for them?

My uncle is a home inspector, and very picky about quality. I picked out exactly the box he suggested for me to use.....at Home depot. Not that I'm arguing in favor of HD. I kinda hate them, but they often have what i need when my little local hardware store does not.

Sorry you have to wait!!!!!!! Tileman is apparently flying out to my place to soak in my tub, and you are welcome to join him! The tub is plenty big enough for 2 without footsies
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:50:16 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

tileman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 11:58:18 pm »
Is it that Home Depot and Lowes cannot get what electricians want, or is it that wholesale supply houses are cheaper for them?

My uncle is a home inspector, and very picky about quality. I picked out exactly the box he suggested for me to use.....at Home depot. Not that I'm arguing in favor of HD. I kinda hate them, but they often have what i need when my little local hardware store does not.

Sorry you have to wait!!!!!!! Tileman is apparently flying out to my place to soak in my tub, and you are welcome to join him! The tub is plenty big enough for 2 without footsies

Lowe's and Home Depot carry the exact same stuff they use for residential work.
The spa panel my electrian (one of my best friends) used was a Cutler Hammer. It was $80 at Lowe's and $130 at his works supplier. Guess which one I got. :)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:01:01 am by tileman »

Richs100

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 12:08:58 am »
Anne, I appreciate the offer.  I'm at the stage of withdrawl where the shakes start.  Do you have one of those assist railings so I can climb in the tub in my weakened state?

As to my electrician, I suspect that there may also be a mild case of gravy overdose in play here.  His objections to Home Depot/Lowes supplied materials didn't ring true for me either.

The other thing that bothers me is that I filled the tub and its supposed to go down to 35 degrees tonight  I know its got to be below freezing for a bit to do any damage, but I am very nervous about that brand new tub outside.  If the weatherman is wrong (in the wrong direction) the electrician and I are gonna have some other issues to resolve.

anne

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 12:19:08 am »
Anne, I appreciate the offer.  I'm at the stage of withdrawl where the shakes start.  Do you have one of those assist railings so I can climb in the tub in my weakened state?

LOL! No, I dont, but I have very handy three tiered steps that even my B/F on crutches was able to handle a while back, so I think I have you covered.

As to my electrician, I suspect that there may also be a mild case of gravy overdose in play here.  His objections to Home Depot/Lowes supplied materials didn't ring true for me either.

There is that postprandial, tryptophan induced lethargy that can really get you.....

The other thing that bothers me is that I filled the tub and its supposed to go down to 35 degrees tonight  I know its got to be below freezing for a bit to do any damage, but I am very nervous about that brand new tub outside.  If the weatherman is wrong (in the wrong direction) the electrician and I are gonna have some other issues to resolve.

I'd be nervous too, but your logical side realizes that you just have the heebie jeebies about a new, (expensive) toy. In a few days you'll be relaxing off this little stressful night, and loving it!!!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

tileman

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 12:19:53 am »
Has the wire been ran to the tub yet?

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 12:23:59 am »
Anne:
I know what you say is true.  It just seems like Monday is about 4 months away right now.

Tile:
He hasnt run the wire through the conduit under the patio yet.  So at this point, the electrician is calling the shots.  I'm gonna distract myself over the weekend looking for my rubber check book.  I'll need it on Monday.

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 12:38:38 am »
Anne:
I know what you say is true.  It just seems like Monday is about 4 months away right now.

Tile:
He hasnt run the wire through the conduit under the patio yet.  So at this point, the electrician is calling the shots.  I'm gonna distract myself over the weekend looking for my rubber check book.  I'll need it on Monday.

4 weeks ago I went through a similar situation.
My dealer sends out 2 seperate crews for delivery/set-up. First crew just drops it off and the latter does the orientation, has the cover, steps, ozonater, and does the final hook-up.
Well it was raining cats and dogs Friday (my delivery day) so they couldn't deliver until things dried up enough to dolly it in my yard. This didn't happen until Sunday. The 2nd crew doesn't work weekends and they were booked Monday, but said they would try and squeeze me in. They were able to and I was soaking later that night. :)
 Once I got in the first time all my frustration went away. It made it just that much better.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 08:28:35 am »
My friend used most things that HD has but there were some things that HD wouldn't have. He personally doesn't like Cutler Hammer products ... don't know what my disconnect is but my new panel is a Siemans

He ran a continuous circuit to my tub, installed a box in the equipment cavity and then proceded to use a 6 guage flexible power cord (think of a lamp cord (which is probably 16 or 18 guage) from the box. He connected the 2 sets of wires together with a device called a butterfly (I think). It's a "U" shaped bolt that they use to connect the power from the street to the house lines.

I don't think that power cord or the bolt might have been had at HD.

tileman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:54:32 am »
My friend used most things that HD has but there were some things that HD wouldn't have. He personally doesn't like Cutler Hammer products ... don't know what my disconnect is but my new panel is a Siemans

He ran a continuous circuit to my tub, installed a box in the equipment cavity and then proceded to use a 6 guage flexible power cord (think of a lamp cord (which is probably 16 or 18 guage) from the box. He connected the 2 sets of wires together with a device called a butterfly (I think). It's a "U" shaped bolt that they use to connect the power from the street to the house lines.

I don't think that power cord or the bolt might have been had at HD.

My Lowe's and HD carry that 6 guage. Not sure what the bolt is though.
Btw, C&H is pretty much the standard out in these parts.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 08:56:12 am by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:54:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42