What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie pH problem  (Read 3806 times)

Lakedaisy

Newbie pH problem
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:04:37 am »
Hi all. Newbie question. Have had my spa for 4 days now. Have a Taylor Test Kit. TA was 150 four days ago. Now it's 120. Calcium hardness is 120. Ph was 8+. Have an ozonator, N2 cartridge (dealer put in).  Only chemical added was the recommended dose of metal gone when we filled the spa.

We have been in the spa once each day. Have added 1 teaspoon Spatime chlorinating granules (99%) each day when we get out.  500gal Piper Glen.

My problem: each morning the ph is 8.0 or more. I put in 4 tablespoons of Brilliance ph decreaser each morning to bring the ph back down to about 7.5. In the PM it's back up to 8.0+. My TA has dropped from 150 to 120 in the 4 days. I tested the ph went we got out of the spa last night. It’s back to 8 again. At this rate I’ll probably use a bottle of ph decreaser in a couple of weeks. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie pH problem
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:04:37 am »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: Newbie pH problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:27:40 am »
Your TA is probably high.  I have the same problem and sometimes take a month or more to get the Ph right.  I usually only check it on weekends.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:45:27 am »
Your TA is probably high.  I have the same problem and sometimes take a month or more to get the Ph right.  I usually only check it on weekends.

Let your TA go down, or bring it down to 100. Check your PH once per week only. Don't panic.
Retired

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
First off allow me to correct you on the amount of available chlorine in spatime granule chlorine. It's 57% and not 99%.

It should read 99% dichloro, 1% inert, 57% available chlorine.

I agree with everybody...bring your TA down.  My pH stays best when my TA is around 80.  At this level my pH will slowly drop over time.  I usually only have to adjust up once per month.  If my TA is at 100, my pH will rise and need consistant lowering.

Lakedaisy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:44:15 pm »
OK. Good info.  Thanks. Checked the chlorine bottle. It's 55% - didn't see that before.  I'll try to get the TA down around 100 and see if the ph will come down and stay down. My spa maker recommends 80-150 TA.  So it looks like the lower end is better.  Hopefully the spa will stabilize itself before I run out of test drops  :).  I had a ring round the spa in 4 days. Must be due to the high ph.   I hope so. Don't want to be cleaning a ring every week.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:18:20 pm »
Lakedaisy,

I am fighting the same problem as you, except even though I keep Alk between 100-120, my Ph still creeps up.  Not quite to the extent you are experiencing, but it will drift from 7.2 (after I adjust it down) up to 8.0 within 3-4 days.  At this point I have given up and simply add 1-2 Tbsp of Ph down when it reaches the 8.0 mark.

Jr

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:12:05 am »
Tileman,

I have had my Alk everywhere between 40-180ppm and my Ph still creeps up.  It actually creeps faster when I allow my Alk to dip below 100ppm.

Jr

Lakedaisy

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »
Well... To follow up.  On the evening of the 20th I put pH decreaser in to once again lower the pH.  The pH went to 7.0 and the TA went to around 70-80.  I haven't added any chemicals since the 20th (except dichlor).  The pH went back to 8.0 on the morning of the 21st.  I checked it again on the evening of the 21st - pH was at 7.6.  It has now stayed at 7.6 for 2 days.  Is the TA OK to leave at 70-80, or should I raise it a little? If you recommend that I raise the TA, should  I wait a few days.  thanks again for your help.

tileman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
Well... To follow up.  On the evening of the 20th I put pH decreaser in to once again lower the pH.  The pH went to 7.0 and the TA went to around 70-80.  I haven't added any chemicals since the 20th (except dichlor).  The pH went back to 8.0 on the morning of the 21st.  I checked it again on the evening of the 21st - pH was at 7.6.  It has now stayed at 7.6 for 2 days.  Is the TA OK to leave at 70-80, or should I raise it a little? If you recommend that I raise the TA, should  I wait a few days.  thanks again for your help.

As long as your ph stays in range I would leave the alk alone for now.

tileman

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 11:13:11 pm »
Lakedaisy,

I'm curious what your tap water chem levels are. If you could test it and get back with me I would appreciate it. Also is it well or city water?

Chad

Lakedaisy

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 06:18:11 pm »
Tileman the numbers are: pH 7.5, TA 150, Calcuim 120, city water.

pH was back up to 7.8 this PM.

tileman

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 08:59:44 pm »
Tileman the numbers are: pH 7.5, TA 150, Calcuim 120, city water.

pH was back up to 7.8 this PM.

Your water is pretty good out the tap and is similar to mine. :) Our TA and CH are about the same. The only difference is that my ph is 8.2.
I would recommend keeping your alk on the high side of acceptability(100-120) b/c of your tap ph level. Keeing alk in this range will make the ph less likely to fluctuate. Once alk is in that range I think your ph problems will go away. :)

Chad

Lakedaisy

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 05:39:06 am »
Is there a chemical that I can use to raise the TA without raising the pH?

tileman

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 09:51:48 am »
Is there a chemical that I can use to raise the TA without raising the pH?

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is the only TA increaser that I know of. It does however bring ph up too but would take a mighty dose to equal the amount it would bring your alk up with. If your ph is on the high side of acceptability(7.5-7.8) while your alk is low, it should have minimal affect on raising ph. This stands true in my water but other people here say that it goes up just as much as the alk.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:53:07 am by tileman »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:08:57 pm »
I just finished refilling my spa.  Ph is on the low side (7.2).  Experience says wait before adjusting.  By tomorrow morning, Ph will be 8+.  My TA is probably around 300.  I adjust slowly since I only have time on weekends.  By the time my Ph is solidly within range it'll be time to change the water again (4 months).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:08:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42