What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Basic, basic water chemistry help?  (Read 5315 times)

Styx555

Basic, basic water chemistry help?
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:48:54 pm »
Just got my Optima delivered and after doing much research on this site, I'm still not sure what needs to be done from a water chemistry point of view. Is there a specific thread or article that can help?

I do not have an ozone system and use the tub 3-4 times a week. Also, live in Canada in a cold climate.

Any help would be great.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Basic, basic water chemistry help?
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:48:54 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Basic, basic water chemistry help?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:57:31 pm »
Check here: Doc's FAQs
Look for Northman's and Vermonter's faqs...both are excellent if you are considering a dichlor routine. 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »
Did the dealer provide any chemicals and/or an oreintation?

That's very strange.  There are several options.  There was no mention of chemicals when you purchased it? Usually the dealers are quick to mention it, as it represents a valuable revenue stream for them.
07 Caldera Geneva

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:31:49 pm »
[as it represents a valuable revenue stream for them.[/quote]

Not only that, it's also a good aftermarket sales tool. :D ;D

Seriously, I'd be surprised if they didn't include their recommended chemical start-up kit with the tub purchase for you.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:56:19 pm »
First, let's see pics of your Optima!

Now, do you have well water or "city" water?  If city, you should already be in pretty good shape.  You should check and adjust the alkalinity, then the pH, then the calcium hardness.  Once those are in range you should be good to go.  Soak away, and when you're done add ~1 teaspoon of dichlor. Once a week do an MPS shock (or a high-dose dichlor shock).

If you prefer to use bromine then ask someone else! :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:56:47 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Styx555

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:55:53 am »
pictures will be up soon. I'm usually in the tub and have no time to take pictures from outside of the tub!!!

Dealer did send a premium chemical start up package and has offered a chemical orientation. However, i wanted to get the opinions on the board before taking the dealers opinion.

I am on city water. When you say shock once a week, how much dichlor would you use in an Optima? Also, I know when shocking you should leave the cover off for 20 mins. Is this also necessary when adding the 1 teaspoon after every soak?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:24:49 am »
The correct  dosage for you tub is based on the amount of gallons and on the back of the bottle of shock, or chlorine, depending on what you are using there should be a chart, or amounts per gallon.

Your optima is a big tub; 480 gallons I know that for the MPS  I use, the dosage is  2oz per 250 gallons.  So for you. just about 4 oz.   IF you will be using Dichlor to shock,   I believe the dosage is 1 oz per 500 gallons. Please read the back of the bottle on your specific brand for the actual dosage.

Yes, Have the cover open while shocking.  I leave it off for 45 minutes.

Leavig the cover open for the post soak, dichlor dose is questionable,: some do, some don't.    In the cold weather I don't.  I toss the dichlor in, run the pumps on full using a pre programed 10 minute clean  cycle and close the cover.

I noticed you mentioned that you are using dichlor afer each soak, have you tested the water ten minutes after adding it to ensure you reaching the proper levels?

:) :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:27:55 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

George

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 05:37:08 pm »
I would not recommend shocking with dichlor, since it takes so long for the Clorine levels to come back down to a usuable level after shocking.  I would shock with MPS weekly.

Styx555

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:43 am »
To clarify the differences between the two methodes:

Using the Vermonter method, the only chemical I would use would be dichlor? This would take care of everything, no need for any other chemicals?

Using the Northman method, I would be using many chemicals to maintain the tub?

When visiting my dealer, I was given a whole bucket of spa chemicals (ph reducer, ph increaser, chlorine increase, chlorine reducer, etc). Do I really need all this? I am running on city tap water and have yet to have any major problems with water chemistry.

tileman

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:51:02 am »
To clarify the differences between the two methodes:

Using the Vermonter method, the only chemical I would use would be dichlor? This would take care of everything, no need for any other chemicals?

Using the Northman method, I would be using many chemicals to maintain the tub?

When visiting my dealer, I was given a whole bucket of spa chemicals (ph reducer, ph increaser, chlorine increase, chlorine reducer, etc). Do I really need all this? I am running on city tap water and have yet to have any major problems with water chemistry.

It will be necessary to use ph +/- and alk +/-, no matter what routine you follow.
What are your city tap water levels?
Instead of choosing ONE specific method, use both their info to help decide what things are neccessary to maintain YOUR water. Everybodies water is not going to be the same.
I use a combo of both routines and have enjoyed crystal clear water for going on 4 weeks now. I owe it all to them.

Here's what I did.
-during initial fill I added Metal Gone
-after filled I used an alk and ph decreaser do to my high levels out the tap.(8.2 and 160)
-added 1.5 oz of Spa Defender (I do this weekly)
-added dichlor to establish a 3-5ppm
That's it.
After soaking I found that adding 1.5 tsp of dichlor is what it takes for me to have a 1-2 ppm 24 hrs later. Yours will vary. The only way to establish this is trial and error. Once you find your amount, no more testing is neccessary for the post soak dose. Atleast not until your routine and amount of soakers change.
I have shocked w/ MPS 3 of the 4 times. The other time I used Dichlor. I am going to continue this once a month dichlor superchlorination until I notice a change in my water clarity. So far so good.
 My alk has been really steady for me but my ph always seems to want to creep back up to it's tap level. I have added spa down twice now to keep it down. Both times the dose was less than a 1/2 oz. If you keep a close eye on your levels you shouldn't have to add large amounts of chems to your water. I test all levels atleast 3 times a week. Most people will say it's overkill but it gives me peace of mind and ensures me of no surprises.

CHAD
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:56:37 am by tileman »

tileman

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:59:06 am »
BTW, what water testing method do you use?

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 12:35:18 pm »
Tileman, you are so helpful. Thank you very much! :)

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 01:07:27 pm »
Tileman, you are so helpful. Thank you very much! :)

Your welcome MLG.
How are things going for you?
Is your ph staying put for you still?
I hope so. :)

Chad

Styx555

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 01:18:05 pm »
Thanks Chad, extremely helpful! Any advice on what brand of Dichlor and MPS is best?

tileman

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 01:50:44 pm »
Thanks Chad, extremely helpful! Any advice on what brand of Dichlor and MPS is best?

Your welcome Styx555.
I use  Leisuer Time's dichlor and mps ( that's what my dealer carries and what they put in my start-up kit). I don't think one brand is better than another. The only difference you'll find is the % available  from one to the other.

Chad
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:51:39 pm by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 01:50:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42