What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The 3-day routine-please share!  (Read 3414 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
The 3-day routine-please share!
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »
Somewhere I saw reference to a 3-day routine.

For example, I will make one up:

Day one--rinse filters, test, add dichlor
Day two--while chlorine is low, test and correct any ph issues
Day 3-- add defender, or whatever else

Four of us just exited the tub--a peaceful, starfilled, 27 degree evening!  I added my dichlor, then remembered that I needed to shock as company is coming over for a party on Wednesday.

Then I remembered I need to add defender....I know I can't add it all at once, so I did the dichlor, then after 10 minutes, did the MPS.  I'll test tomorrow morning, then go from there.  I also need to rinse my filters.

I guess I don't have a routine that I regularly follow, but I am looking for an easy one.  I know there are suggestions for what chemicals to add together, or a few days apart, for maxium benefit.

Can anyone help with this?  :-/  I swear I saw a suggested 3-day routine out there somewhere for testing and adding chemicals. (Sunday, Wednesday,  Friday, or something)

Thanks!  :)

2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

The 3-day routine-please share!
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: The 3-day routine-please share!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:08:57 pm »
kervis

I think that was me but its in no way a "three day routine" its just what works for me.

Here is how I do it

Shock with MPS every thursday, you can test for CC but I like to shock weekly
Clean filter with a garden hose on Saturday, easy to do takes five minutes in the laundry tub
Test water chems on Monday and adjust what needs to be adjusted
Add 1 teaspoon of dichlor for each bather after each use

Thats it in a nutshell, takes a grand total of about 15 minutes a week and it works for me.  You may come up with something different that works for you :) My schedule happens to allow me time on Thurs, Sat and Mondays

Good luck
Bullfrog 451

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:34:26 pm »
Are you thinking of "Leisure Time’s 3-Day-A-Week Program"?

http://www.rhtubs.com/info/Lt-spacare.htm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:58:34 am »
Thanks, Canada and Dr. Spa!!

It certainly seems easy enough that I could have figured it out myself, however, I obviously haven't yet!  :-[  

Just as I am struggling with routines in other areas of my life, this just added to the mix.  With the busy holiday season upon us, I really need to streamline and not be guessing about what I did, when I did it, or if I remembered to do it at all.

Now I can print out "the plan", stick it in my Spa Binder, and cross it off my list!  8-)

Thanks much.
2005 HS Vanguard

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:10:10 pm »
I do the one day routine.  Sanitize after use.  Saturday...test, adjust pH if needed, add whatever additives I use whether it be Defender, Enzyme, etc., shock if needed in the evening, clean filters every month.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:11:16 pm by tony »

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:23:06 pm »

Doc,

The one thing that seems to be missing from the guide is temperature.  After a water change, at what temperature can chemicals be added?  Are some chemicals temperature-dependent and others not?  Or can any chemical be added at any temperature?

Jim

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »
I usually wait till the water is over 80- for no particular reason that comes to mind.
I'm of the opinion that if temperature was of any importance, it would say so on the instructions on the package.

Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:41:04 pm »

Doc,

The one thing that seems to be missing from the guide is temperature.  After a water change, at what temperature can chemicals be added?  Are some chemicals temperature-dependent and others not?  Or can any chemical be added at any temperature?

Jim

Temp makes no difference for your waters balance. Chlorine however lasts longer the colder the water is.

I test at a fresh fill and add 1 TBLS chlorine right away. My water requires Baking soda only to raise TA and PH about 4 OZs. Then it's 1/2 tsp per person or 1 tsp min. dichlor after every soak. And check PH about every other week. Half way through a water change I need more baking soda, about 2 OZs. Rinse filter whenever...LOL once a month I guess. Soak one and install a clean one at a water change. Total time, rinse filter....whenever....LOL 5 minutes 3-4 times per 4 months, 15-20 minutes, check PH every other week or so 5 minutes per 40 per month. Add dichlor when exiting tub 0 minutes. For a grand total of about 1 hour per water change, 3-4 months. I have it easy. But I make it easy by not worrying about it.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:41:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42