What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cooler water  (Read 7351 times)

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
Cooler water
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:29:53 pm »
Last night,  went in the HT and turned on the jets and felt cooler water running out of the jet.   The water turned warmer after serveral seconds (15 seconds).  

I have a HS Envoy, which 24hr circ pumps, and understand that the water is not moving through the plumbing tubs feeding the jets.   I'm just surprised that the water temp would be noticable in a FF tub.   The tub was used on Monday and Tuesday, so the water wasn't sitting for a long period of time.  Plus in NY, the outside temp has been warm (60 degrees).

Is this normal?  I checked the water temp and it was 100 and felt the heater kick-on on last night as well.  

Hot Tub Forum

Cooler water
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:29:53 pm »

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
Re: Cooler water
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:31:39 pm »
Sorry, a little typo, i have a HS Vista :)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:40:48 pm »
Envoy, Vista - perfectly normal.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:15:28 pm »
This happens every time I use the tub even when its 90 degrees outside.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
same here, I notice when I first crank them I get a gust of cool water.  It goes away really fast though.

gturn

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 02:13:12 pm »
Last night,  went in the HT and turned on the jets and felt cooler water running out of the jet.   The water turned warmer after serveral seconds (15 seconds).  

I have a HS Envoy, which 24hr circ pumps, and understand that the water is not moving through the plumbing tubs feeding the jets.   I'm just surprised that the water temp would be noticable in a FF tub.   The tub was used on Monday and Tuesday, so the water wasn't sitting for a long period of time.  Plus in NY, the outside temp has been warm (60 degrees).

Is this normal?  I checked the water temp and it was 100 and felt the heater kick-on on last night as well.  
Must depend on the type of insulation, mine does not do that.  My tub is TP insulated and the inside cabinet stays between 100 and 114 all the time, it gets heat off the circulation pump and the Ozone light.  It gets up to about 114 when the jet pumps run.  I have a remote sensor inside and monitor the temp.  The water is always warm when I first turn on the jet pumps.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:19:11 pm »

Must depend on the type of insulation, mine does not do that.  My tub is TP insulated and the inside cabinet stays between 100 and 114 all the time, it gets heat off the circulation pump and the Ozone light.  It gets up to about 114 when the jet pumps run.  I have a remote sensor inside and monitor the temp.  The water is always warm when I first turn on the jet pumps.

But Bosco has an Arctic so why does his spa do that? In fact, an Arctic doesn't foam the shell from my understanding bu relies more on insulating the outer panels and bottom so I'd expect his to have this occur to the least degree compared to a full foam or standard thermopane. I'm a bit confused on the varying results but yes, it is common for the plumbing lines temp to be a bit lower if the pumps have been off an extended time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:16:12 pm »
Gee spatech, you and I are on the same wavelength again! I just read this thread and am also confused by bosco. If he does own an Arctic, his water should be warm IMO. I would suggest that he call his dealer to find out why he is getting a surge of cold H2o. I will be firing my Tundra up tomorrow with probable first soak on Friday. I will let you know my experience.

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 03:28:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies,  

Wanted to make sure this was normal before I called service.

I never pulled any panels off to check if my FF tub actually has FF, only saw the inside of the tub in dealer show room.

George

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:30:57 pm »
But Bosco has an Arctic so why does his spa do that? In fact, an Arctic doesn't foam the shell from my understanding bu relies more on insulating the outer panels and bottom so I'd expect his to have this occur to the least degree compared to a full foam or standard thermopane. I'm a bit confused on the varying results but yes, it is common for the plumbing lines temp to be a bit lower if the pumps have been off an extended time.
Does his Arctic have a circ pump running all the time to generate any heat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:31:38 pm by George »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:35:13 pm »
 My Vanguard did the same thing.  

We have been having highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's.  

When you look at how much shell there is (or isn't!) between the inside of the tub to the outside air, it would only make sense that the pipes and the water inside them get cold despite the FF.

I shall have to remember to start up the jets as I am taking the cover off!!

2005 HS Vanguard

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 08:50:11 pm »
For TP, probably the truth is that air and water stratify and it needs to get moving - I'm sure that the water is cooler on the bottom of the tub than toward the top of the tub (heat rises), I think only 1 pump operates during filter mode in non circ pump tubs. As far as FF, the equipment bay is exposed to cold air and I guess if the heater doesn't kick on for a while you'll get cold water. A question I have though is ... Aren't circ pumps connected to all the other pumps via tubes - I know mine is. I'll have to see what happens next time I go in.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 08:55:25 pm »
No George, Arctics use the low speed of pump 1 to turn over their water. Obviously that pump generates heat however so my question remains why the cooler water for bosco?

My Tundra arrived yesterday from the dealer who had wet tested it a week earlier and the inside chamber was still warm! In fact, after the cover was installed, their was enough warmth underneath to begin heating the empty air space of the spa! I thought that was pretty amazing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:55:49 pm by wesj53 »

anne

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 09:23:50 pm »
My arctic does that every now and then, but only maybe one in 10 times. Most of the time the water coming out of the jets is as hot as the tub. Weird variation.
Dance like nobody's watching

tileman

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 09:31:32 pm »
No cold water for me yet. :) I programmed my water to be filtered/skimmed 3 x a day for 30 min. This kicks on my main pumps therefore no water is trapped inside for long. I also have a 24 hr. circ and I'm pretty sure it doesn't connect w/ my other pump lines.

If you can program yours too, might want to give it a try.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 09:31:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42