What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Cumberland: any thoughts?  (Read 6344 times)

longshot

Caldera Cumberland: any thoughts?
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:03:10 pm »
We went to our local Caldera dealer and wet tested three Caldera models - and sat in a couple others dry.  Decided we don't like the recliner-type seats; and I don't like the really powerful jets blasting my back.  Wife likes the jets for neck shoulders.  Also, don't need large - mostly just for two of us, with room for an occasional one or two others.

Given all that, the dealer pointed us toward the Cumberland model, but he didn't have one on the floor to show us.  So we're wondering whether anyone out there has any experience with this model, and could give us their thoughts/opinions.  There is only one listed in the reviews section, and that review didn't say very much about how the tub performs.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Cumberland: any thoughts?
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:03:10 pm »

tileman

Re: Caldera Cumberland: any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:42:51 pm »
Caldera has 4 different series of spas Utopia, Aquatic, Paradise, and Highland. Highland is there low class and is what series the Cumberland is. It doesn't have near the features as the other three.
I don't know your price range but I would try to find a small high class model from another manufacturer. Don't get me wrong Caldera makes some very nice spas. They just don't have what YOUR looking for unless you go with one of their low class models. Not to say that's a bad thing to do, I just think if it's in your budget you should see if other manufacturers around you have a small tub that meets your needs and is of higher quality.

Good Luck,
Tileman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:42:19 pm »
Highland is there low class and is what series the Cumberland is.

Please.  We call it entry level. :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:55:52 pm »
Yeah, I like tilemans word selection.For price and jet selection a comprable spa in the same class would be the Jacuzzi J-220, check it out, I bet you'd like it. Being Jacuzzi's entry level spa it is very high class!  ;)

Highland is there low class and is what series the Cumberland is.

Please.  We call it entry level. :D
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

aaronr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:43:17 am »
I had a caldera cascade (highland series- base model) for 4 years before selling the house and upgrading to the HS Vanguard. It was a 110/220 spa that I was running at 110. Other than losing heat fast, it did the trick great for me. I sat in it 4/5 days a week for 4 years with no isuues at all, never one service visit needed, nothing. Was it as nice as my Hs, no but I could never have afforded the extra $$$ back then so it was a nice choice for me.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:24:34 am »
I have sat in a Cumberland and found it to be as comfortable as all the other Caldera spas.  From what you have mentioned, this sounds like it might be a great choice.  

I would, however, look also at the Hot Spring Solana SX.  This is a small, square tub that is for three people.  It is 110v with the Moto Massage.  It's a pretty good little spa.  

Either the Cumberland or Solana SX would be good choices.  

Tileman, I know what you are trying to say by using low class, but that makes it sound like the spa is of inferior quality.  The Highlands may not be as flashy, but the quality is every bit that of a "high class" Caldera.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

tileman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:19:01 am »
I have sat in a Cumberland and found it to be as comfortable as all the other Caldera spas.  From what you have mentioned, this sounds like it might be a great choice.  

I would, however, look also at the Hot Spring Solana SX.  This is a small, square tub that is for three people.  It is 110v with the Moto Massage.  It's a pretty good little spa.  

Either the Cumberland or Solana SX would be good choices.  

Tileman, I know what you are trying to say by using low class, but that makes it sound like the spa is of inferior quality.  The Highlands may not be as flashy, but the quality is every bit that of a "high class" Caldera.

Sorry for the "poor" word selection. I will change it from low class to entry level.

You must be a dealer of Watkins Manufacturing. If I had to guess, I'd say Hotsprings. You guys make it easier and easier to tell that you're dealers. It only bothers ME when you guys are biased. It's just not fair to the consumer. >:(

Longshot, even if others find the Cumberland to be a great buy for the money, You'll never know if it meets YOUR satisfacion unless the dealer can figure out how to get you in one for a wet test. That's the most imortant aspect of purchasing a spa, so if it's not capable of happening move on to the next dealer. Just in case, what are the other dealers around you?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 05:25:22 am by tileman »

longshot

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 03:26:52 pm »

Longshot, even if others find the Cumberland to be a great buy for the money, You'll never know if it meets YOUR satisfacion unless the dealer can figure out how to get you in one for a wet test. That's the most imortant aspect of purchasing a spa, so if it's not capable of happening move on to the next dealer. Just in case, what are the other dealers around you?

I haven't checked out who else handles that particular tub.  The one I did go to had four others available for wet testing, and a whole bunch on the floor.  Given the small size of the Cumberland, I'm not optimistic I'm going to find a dealer who has one for wet test.  They seem to favor the middle to larger ones.  Will keep looking, though.  Also, will check out the Solana, as suggested.  Thanks!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:08:17 pm »
AKA Hot Spot Sorrento.  Very nice tub as far as entry-level units are concerned, and we've sold a number of them since we've brought them on the floor to show.

No complaints whatsoever.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 07:51:34 pm »

Sorry for the "poor" word selection. I will change it from low class to entry level.

You must be a dealer of Watkins Manufacturing. If I had to guess, I'd say Hotsprings. You guys make it easier and easier to tell that you're dealers. It only bothers ME when you guys are biased. It's just not fair to the consumer. >:(

I identify myself as a Hot Spring dealer.  I also try to be objective.  I also try to bring a sense of humor.  I do not carry a gun like my Texas associate.   :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 10:48:37 pm »

Nope, you're wrong.  I do, however, have a good friend who sells Hot Spring - the place I bought my Vanguard.  And I know the Caldera dealer from my time in the swimming pool industry.  Having been in the industry, but from the pool side, I see a lot of what goes on out there.  

I do have an opinion on what is best, and I make no apologies for my opinion.  Others have theirs and make them known.  I've just seen people with bad experiences from certain manufacturers out there, so I like to let people know Watkins' products are good products.  There are other manufacturers that are good as well.  We all know that.  No flash of brilliance there.  I just like my Hot Spring.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 10:48:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42