What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just downright pitiful!  (Read 5190 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Just downright pitiful!
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:12:18 pm »
A lady came in awhile back looking for a new filter for her 6-person NON-HotSpring Spa.  She was trying to filter a 300+ gallon spa with this little feller:

Anyobody else have a filter like the one on the right?

Pitiful.....

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Just downright pitiful!
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:12:18 pm »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: Just downright pitiful!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:26 pm »
Maybe she had a 10 HP circ pump pushing 80,000 gallons a day through that little bad boy! :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:18:51 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:30:38 pm »
Here's a uranium coated heating element someone was looking to replace:

Whole lotta buttcheese on that thang.

Terminator

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:33:17 am »
A lady came in awhile back looking for a new filter for her 6-person NON-HotSpring Spa.  She was trying to filter a 300+ gallon spa with this little feller:

Anyobody else have a filter like the one on the right?

Pitiful.....

Terminator
That looks like a VERY abused MS filter.  Other than the obvious abuse, what are you attempting to infer?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 10:07:02 am »
I'm glad Windsurfdog said it first. Is showing a used and abused dirty filter next to a brand new one fair? I can't help but think about when i had my Grandee and every month when i went to rinse my filters out, 1 was dirty and 4 were clean, does that sound like balanced filtration?

The fact is filters are designed to pick up the dirt particles, that's why it's called a filter. There are many factors when it comes to proper filtration and you are showing just 1 part. 15 years of selling Hot Springs has taught me 1 thing, how to take a negative and turn it into a positive. I'm sure all the Hot Spring store owners remember 2001-2002 and the filter problems they had. And I 'm sure they haven't fogot 2000-2001 and the heaters.

This forum is designed to educate the potential hot tub owner and to keep them away from independent Colorado Manufacturers that rhyme with Slim. Besides 80% of the people on this board are owners/sales people and current spa owners. When a current spa owner takes his filter out and sees his filter is dirty he will question his spa purchase. we need to be reinforcing the hot tub industry on this website, not making them feel bad about the hot tub they bought, even Artic owners (tongue firmly in cheek)

I look forward to the debate that follows.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 10:13:52 am »
Ya'll are missing the point.  Yes, that's a dirty old filter.  Filters get worn out and have to be replaced.  I just grabbed the nearest filter in the store to set beside it to show the size difference.

My point is that this tiny little filter, barely bigger than a soup can, is totally insufficient to filter 300+ gallons of water.  We use at least 3 of the Tri-X filters on the left to filter the same amount of water.  Of course, we filter EVERY DROP ALL THE TIME.  It is ridiculous to think that such a large spa is getting adequate filtration from such an itty bitty filter.

The lady told me her spa was a Leisure Bay or Garden Leisure or Leisure somethingorother.  I didn't realize MasterSpa used the same type.

Just pitiful..... :(

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 10:15:15 am by East_TX_Spa »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 10:22:55 am »
I'm sure all the Hot Spring store owners remember 2001-2002 and the filter problems they had. And I 'm sure they haven't fogot 2000-2001 and the heaters.

If you're talking about some of the plastic end pieces of the filters that cracked, that was no big deal.  It didn't affect the filter's ability but was simply cosmetic.  Anyone that brought in a cracked one was given a new one free of charge, no questions asked.

As far as the heaters, a bad connector from the supplier was dealt with and everyone was taken care of free of charge, no questions asked.

When a current spa owner takes his filter out and sees his filter is dirty he will question his spa purchase.

If he does, then he's an idiot.  Dirty filters are GREAT, it means they're working.  I would be upset if my filters weren't dirty.

Terminator

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:34:12 am »
Yes Term each person got a new filter..... out of my pocket the former owner of a 2 Hot Spring stores. THis is the point I am making. They are the best of taking a negative and turning it positive. Thank you for the offical Watkins reply.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
Well, I'm not affiliated with Watkins except for being their customer.  And we were reimbursed. :)

And negatives happen all the time.  The company's that are successful address the situation and resolve it to the customer's satisfaction.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 10:39:58 am by East_TX_Spa »

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 10:42:24 am »
Ya'll are missing the point.  Yes, that's a dirty old filter.  Filters get worn out and have to be replaced.  I just grabbed the nearest filter in the store to set beside it to show the size difference.

Hey Term,

I give you a old machine repair trick.  When trying to show the size of something in a photograph stick a extended tape measure in the background that way perception is not an issue. ;)

By the way, that does look like an old Bullfrog filter although its much smaller
Bullfrog 451

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:01:05 am »
That's fine if you want to show size difference, then say that. But did you mention anything about pleat count or square foot size of the filter. No you didn't because you are a very smart person and a great salesperson, and because of that you gave very little information and let the consumer make their own conclusions on what they saw. Sometimes it's what you don't say that is more powerful.

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:06 am »
Old Term... He knows... Silence is GOLDEN.........

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:22 am »
No you didn't because you are a very smart person and a great salesperson, and because of that you gave very little information and let the consumer make their own conclusions on what they saw. Sometimes it's what you don't say that is more powerful.

Thank you but you are giving me far too much credit as I am not that slick nor do I aspire to be.  A lot of what I do on here is flying by the seat of my drawers and I forget that what I'm necessarily thinking doesn't translate well onto the forum.  I apologize for any confusion and have posted the dirty Tri-X filters below to try and make amends.

Your friend Terminator

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 11:11:02 am »

Here's one of my LSX filters........looks a lot like the Term's "pitiful" filter.  Since I don't have a fancy, new HS filter to put beside it for comparison, I'll tell you it measures 8 inches in diameter x 7 inches tall.  

BTW, this one is over 2 years in service and going strong.  The LSX uses 2 of these--I have 2 sets of 2 which I alternate so, in reality, this one has only been installed for 1+ year.

So, Term, how big is the "pitiful" filter and why didn't you tell us it was a Leisure Bay filter from the beginning to avoid misunderstandings like this?  I hope you understand why I jumped on this considering the "Little Tykes Spa Traveling Road Show" that is currently being such a pain to you and your community.  I'm trying my best to not let that scourge be associated with all MS products and dealers in the eyes of the unknowing that may read this forum.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 11:13:53 am »
Old Term... He knows... Silence is GOLDEN.........
And many times, silence can be deceptive....whether intended or not....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 11:13:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42